Samsung Foldable Phone a flop?

mysiteguy

Fanatic
without apples technology we would be 15 years behind where we are. Jobs was only the hype and idea man he had no clue how to make anything work kind of like my other hero President Donald J. Trump.

You're kidding us, right? Hardly anything Apple has done someone else didn't do first. Their OS's core isn't even their own, it's BSD Unix. Smartphones, I was using one almost 10 years earlier than the iPhone (Handspring Visor with cell adapter in the expansion port). The Mac concept, "taken" from Xerox.

The Surface line blows them away.
They don't make the highest tech PCs.
Mac OS stole from Windows Finder Sidebar, Path bar, back/forward buttons, Screen sharing, Alt-tab'ing.
Icon dock, a decade and a half after Unix, Linux, and OS/2 had it.
Their OLED displays... come from Samsung and they got into that game much later than everyone else.
HDR processing, copied from the Pixel 2.
Copied Samsung Live Focus.
Xiaomi beat Apple by a full year with a "bezeless" phone and did it with a much smaller border.
Edge to edge screens, Galaxy S6 had it before Apple, same with wireless charging.
Admitted to stealing the iPod idea from Kane Kramer.
Click wheel, stolen from Creative's Jukebox.
I'll give them the A12 bionic. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Itunes, based on SoundJam.
Dual camera image stabilization, Galaxy S8 did it before Apple.
Apple Pencil... Galaxy Note 4 years earlier.
Multi-touch, credit FingerWorks for that.
Pinch to zoom, Samsung invented it in the early 2000s. Some Apple engineers saw it in 2003 and like they did with Xerox, stole it.
Microsoft was selling tablets back in 2002.
Galaxy Nexus had facial recognition long before Apple.
Quick charging appeared on Android phones in 2013, 4 years earlier than iPhone.
Lenovo beat Apple by a year with augmented reality.

What Apple is great at is sensationalizing and marketing.

"I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas. So it hurts when Steve Jobs takes credit for one of my designs." - Jonathan Ive, Apple chief industrial design.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
well i cannot debate all that....

but....

without jobs you would still be using this...
551455F4-0E03-4EB2-9562-79B560D2FCBE.jpeg
the ipod changed the world and how everyone looked at the future of tech

R0binHood

Habitué
What Apple is great at is sensationalizing and marketing.

As with many things, multiple people may have had the same idea, or be working with roughly the same technology, but it's all in the execution. Set aside any marketing or hype, and Apple has consistently executed and released products that are far more refined and superior to use compared to any competition working with similar technology.

Not every time mind, looking at you latest Macbook Pro, but enough times to make it count.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
ok im out , you win, apple sucks to me now

Last edited:

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
It's true that all those brands and companies have taken ideas, and even code, from each other over the years. However, it was Jobs obsessive drive to make products that allowed people to forget about the technology and simply do things better and easier that made Apple stand out from the rest. He truly was a usability expert, long before that was a thing, and it was the Macintosh OS that defined "user friendly".

Since his death, that obsession for quality and performance has been replaced with rapacious marketing and it shows in the product line, from which much of the shiny white has rubbed off.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
As with many things, multiple people may have had the same idea, or be working with roughly the same technology, but it's all in the execution. Set aside any marketing or hype, and Apple has consistently executed and released products that are far more refined and superior to use compared to any competition working with similar technology.

That doesn't address the assertion he made: "without apples technology we would be 15 years behind where we are."

Historically when it comes to technology there are many companies or individuals striving to real the same goal. The loss of any individual or company generally doesn't change the timeline. Had the Wright brothers not come out with their airplane, others were only months and in some cases weeks behind. Smart phones were evolving rapidly before Apple entered the game, they brought really nothing new.

And while I agree with you about "far more refined" in some cases, more often it's been about looking cool, bragging rights and impressing people. It goes back to the saying "Spending money you don't have for things you don't need to impress people you don't like. " Or, "keeping up with the Jones". Even the iPod, Microsoft's Zune was not only technically a better protect, but features and functionality beat the iPod. Same with the Surface products. But Microsoft was never cool with fanboys, especially fashion conscious teenagers so concerned about what others think of them. If you think this assessment is off, I bring to the table exhibit A:

if they put an apple on it id pay double

fixer

I'm In My Prime
you miss the entire reason why apple products are king

Most real people don’t care about processing power, screen resolution, camera pixels

they care that it works and they know how to work it, that’s it

flaunting huge specs with your chest puffed out to an audience of people who could care less is a waste of everyones time

a true genius makes the difficult easy

consumers do not care about feeding the hamster on the wheel

apple products do this perfectly , they are built to last and work , if you don't like them then fine you don't need to convince me or anyone else differently. Just go on with your day and the billions of apple users will be happy just the same

mysiteguy

Fanatic
LOL, you boasted about the world being15 years behind in technology if not for Apple, but now specs aren't important.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Apple are great for people that just want stuff to work straight out of the box, personally I much prefer Android device over apple for my phones - and yes I have 2 phones my work phone is the latest apple and my personal which is the latest android on it. For customisation Andriod is a million times better, the most frustrating thing about apple is the inability to do what I want how I want it... I would buy an android device over an apple device every day of the week when it comes to PHONES.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
LOL, you boasted about the world being15 years behind in technology if not for Apple, but now specs aren't important.

the 15 years of advancements could have came from other companies trying to compete with apple, don't matter..

didn't say i wasn't right, just not going to debate with you because I am ok with you being wrong

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
The only reason people are inrerested IMO may have been due to the pathetic state of tablets not made by Apple. If you must have higher screen estate, you need a phablet, computer or chromebook.

Foldable devices are another fad... If this takes off, expect devices folding into 4 then 6, so you can carry fragile 20 inch displays in your giant pockets. Cant phones just get better sound/speaker quality and endurance instead?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Mobiles and tablets only work to consume fullscreen content though, and cannot completely replace desktops and laptops, especially for productivity.
In the context of forums, I noticed the quality of participation and discussion also drastically decreases, likely as its harder and slower to post. Errors galore, reaction smileys instead of fully formed comments, you name it. Mobile is good for consuming and displaying ads to visitors (adblockers unusable or limited), not so much for generating content quality, which forums as an ecosystem would gain from stimulating again.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Have an iPad Pro and a Surface Book 2 (15"). I prefer doing any stuff on the Book as it allows running of computer programs and not limited to the apps that are on the iPad.
Even the little Surface Pro 2 is better for what I need than the iPad Pro.

Just to clarify, no other tablet is better then an ipad

A laptop or desktop are my preferred when working, then my ipad, then my phone.

But its great watching youtube in bed on an ipad :) :)

zappaDPJ

Loyalty to any brand or service provides very few benefits. In fact the opposite applies when it comes to services because the majority offer enticements for new customers. Just go with what best suits your needs and pocket at the time and forget the name on the box.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Loyalty to any brand or service provides very few benefits. In fact the opposite applies when it comes to services because the majority offer enticements for new customers. Just go with what best suits your needs and pocket at the time and forget the name on the box.

For me it’s about the seamless integration between the devices, been in real life and death situations and without some of this fluidity between the devices my life wouldn't be the same. Aside from that ... my macbook, ipads, iwatchs and iphones all work hand and hand together and makes my life not just easier but possible. I can rely on it to be powered up and ready when i need it, trust my aging father that lives alone with an old hand me down device ... syncing his medical schedule with my house holds calendars so we can facilitate everyone lives to work together. my wife has a heart condition and her apple watch reminds her of her current state and provides warnings and data that she can manage on her phone or ipad.. my phone even lets me know of any issues. It’s amazing, my son takes a photo of his project at school and seconds later we all can see it. Say what you will about apple products ... ok maybe if you pull one of these devices out of this loop it may not stand up in a one on one showdown ... but when you put them together there is no comparison and unless you have lived it you wont understand... hell my beats audio headphones even auto synced to my phone and started playing when i turned them on.... apple tv is amazing too. and my watch unlocks my macbook for me i dont even have to push a button... -APPLE FAN BOY