Rewrite Rules

thunderclap

Aspirant
I currently co-run a site for movie reviews/ratings and discussion. The current software is Wordpress for the main domain (news site) and MyBB for the forums. We run a second instance of Wordpress on a subdomain for the actual movie review/ratings database. We are not looking to streamline and simplify all this and move to new forum software, either IP.Board or Xenforo. Something we'd like to do is preserve the MyBB forum links because we have nearly a thousand movie entries in the database and in their listings it has a link to the forums for discussion. If we move to new forum software those links will be broken. IP.Board claims their import script will create the necessary rewrite rules to preserve the original forum links, Xenforo doesn't.

I'm curious for anyone who has migrate to IP.Board, how good is this migration script? Will it do as it says?

Is there a simple way to create the rewrite rules manually so if we choose to go with Xenforo to achieve the same thing? Essentially, we are trying to avoid having to manually go through all the movie listings in the database and manually update the links.

Thanks.

Oh!

Adherent
I cannot answer your questions about the rewriting internal links, but you will also need rewrite rules for permanent redirects for the search engines and incoming traffic. Does IP.B or Xenforo provide this with their migration scripts?

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
IP.Board claims their import script will create the necessary rewrite rules to preserve the original forum links, Xenforo doesn't.
If you use .htaccess then you would be fine with IP.Board (IPS now). If you use NGINX, then you are going to have to do them on your own as all IPS (last I knew) generated was .htaccess related for an Apache web server.

As for XenForo, usually Jake Bunce over on the XF support site is pretty good at helping out license holders on rewrites.