Registration without an email

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Yes, but my reply was to the "disposable" email part. Disposable accounts typically "live" for ~10 minutes before disappearing. So if you're going to allow those, there's no reason to request emails at all.
If a software doesn't allow for optional emails, then someone could use that to work around it.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Yes, but my reply was to the "disposable" email part. Disposable accounts typically "live" for ~10 minutes before disappearing. So if you're going to allow those, there's no reason to request emails at all.
Disposable email accounts and their use are a legacy approach themselves. Many services should not be signed up to using such services at all, as youre giving control of an account to a party that just promises to delete and not abuse it.

Apple just recently introduced a refinement to the signup paradigm that allows you to use your main email adress but have every app and every website given an internal alias so its access to any user data can be limited. Forum software just needs to take this into account (to prevent ban evasion for example).

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Apple just recently introduced a refinement to the signup paradigm that allows you to use your main email adress but have every app and every website given an internal alias so its access to any user data can be limited.

That's not unlike what I do locally with a big advantage of often knowing before anyone else who has been hacked and/or is selling my data to other parties. Using unique login details for every site has advantages including spam management. Dropping/changing one compromised contact is so much easier than changing your email address for every contact.

It's been quite interesting watching my 4 year old compromised vBulletin data travel the world. I'm sure I'm not the only one currently in receipt of email threatening to send videos of my private moments of pleasure to everyone who knows me o_O

DigNap15

Fan
No way
I will always require an email address so that i can contact my members if I need to