Register your name as domain

What would you prefer

• Total voters

rbnk

Neophyte
Surname .com is already taken. I can register <surname>.net OR <firstname><surname>.com

What would you do?

we_are_borg

Administrator
First name + surename.tld i have it like that. I also have family-surename.tld for example my mail is running on that.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Surname .com is already taken. I can register <surname>.net OR <firstname><surname>.com

What would you do?
As a professional, I'd pick fullname.com/net, or a simpler memorable variation (say CynicalJosh.com).

But for more personal uses I'd get FamilyName.net, then have individuals get their subdomain for personal pages/portfolios (david.familyname.net). Anyone wants fancier domains can do a simple redirect or use a better domain.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I never did the family name as domain thing, partly because both surname.com and firstnamesurname.com were gone years ago, but mostly because I started out on the internet in the late 1990s when aliases were still completely normal for identity purposes.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
I have <firstname><surname> in the common tlds (.com, .net, .org, .co.uk, .uk), registered many years ago.

My surname [only] was taken, even back then.

KnownHost

Participant
I did the same, fistname lastname but I never realized how long it was until I got a Roku and had to enter all of my subscription information with that tiny little remote!!!

\o/

an oddity
Make sure that your name is unique first. Avoid confusion.

KnownHost

Participant
Make sure that your name is unique first. Avoid confusion.
This is true, there are two other people who have the .net and .org of my name, we all get each others emails sometimes. Very weird forwarding emails around between us sometimes! :)

\o/

an oddity
You might see why a name domain is not your best bet anyway ... unless you ask them first. :)

Since you already know each other, I suggest to consider the latter.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
Remember there are many more TLDs available now besides .com .net .org etc.

For example, I have a site with a .ARMY tld and a couple of .COMMUNITY domains.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Heck, I don't have the firstnamelastname.com but I know two other people who aren't the .com holder that have the same name as me, just in the UK...

KeVo

Enthusiast
My name sucks for things like domains and social media. Have to get absurdly hacky to get anything available and I really dislike using numbers with usernames and emails.