Recurring Payments for User Upgrades?

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding recurring payments for user upgrade subscriptions.

I use an annual user upgrade. I've never used recurring payments for this.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Webmasters should at least consider testing the water and see how users' direct sponsorship works out for them.
Users may be averse to the idea, but you only need to convert a minority into sponsors. Personally I prefer a solution like Patreon for a number of reasons, due to to limitations in the way forums handle paid upgrades:

- can monetize non-registered members, like visitors. A site's audience is always larger than its userbase.
- flexible tiers of support (as little as 1$/month, up to). Forums sell subscriptions and and upgrades as essentially 'products' with fixed prices. 'Pay what you want' helps securing a steady minimum earnings.
- no need for discriminatory perks like bigger avatars/inboxes. Perks will very rarely be worth the money anyway and their value will be contested.

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Webmasters should at least consider testing the water and see how users' direct sponsorship works out for them.
Users may be averse to the idea, but you only need to convert a minority into sponsors. Personally I prefer a solution like Patreon for a number of reasons, due to to limitations in the way forums handle paid upgrades:
Thank you - but nothing to do with my question really. I already AM and will CONTINUE to do user upgrades. I am not looking for a different way such as Patreon. I am only asking for thoughts about recurring payments.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I am only asking for thoughts about recurring payments.
With or without a notification? As a user I prefer recurring payments but ideally I'd like to be given an option to cancel rather than an option to renew.

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
With or without a notification? As a user I prefer recurring payments but ideally I'd like to be given an option to cancel rather than an option to renew.
However it works with XF. ???

zappaDPJ

Administrator
However it works with XF. ???
Not by default, the user upgrade function is rather basic. I believe there is an add-on from ThemeHouse that might do it. It certainly added some kind of user alert to the system. I'll see if I can find it.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
For those of you who do this ----- What about chargebacks? Do people 'forget' to cancel and then do a chargeback?

Alfa1

Administrator
Yes, they do. I get a chargeback every few months. Nothing to worry about.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
You would be amazed how many people set them up and never bother cancelling them, even if they never use the service, or long after they stop using it.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
They're great! On my forum I offer user upgrades, which don't actually do anything but help support the the forum (they're donations, not sales), at the $5, $10, $15, $20, and $25 level in addition to one-time donation options. The vast majority of my site's income comes from these recurring donations. I'm really thankful for the people who want to help keep my site running. Even if you only have 5 users donating $10 monthly that adds up to $600 yearly. Recurring donations have basically ended the old school "begging to fill up the donation bar."

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
You would be amazed how many people set them up and never bother cancelling them, even if they never use the service, or long after they stop using it.
Oh, I'm sure. But, doesn't that feel a little unethical?

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Not to me, people need to be responsible for their own actions (or inactions).

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
It's true that they can chose to cancel at any time.

Reminds me of that song lyric: "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Study Force

Participant
The set it and forget it model is used by every major company that exists. If a member is not happy with the service, they won't forget to cancel.