Recommendations for forums template companies?

katavallo

Aspirant
Hey squad,
I have had my inactive forum Katavallo.org for a year now. I simply have just have not had time for it but I want to finally bring it to life and probably change my domain name.
My forum currently runs on WordPress plugin WPforo and I HATE IT. I hate how small everything fits dimension wise in the browser (crammed in the center with boring wasted space on the sides). I also hate the complexities of logging into WordPress, and I hate how bland and not personalized the template is; there is no user sidebar and no way to show recent topics in a customizable format. On top of that, I have spam bots out of the wazoo; anyone want any sexual dysfunction pills or "premium pharmacy soap" LOL?

My question is, what forum templates would you recommend and why? What qualities do you like about it? I took a look at XenForo (not a WordPress plugin) and like that layout but I wanted to get your feedback and suggestions first so that I don't regret a template.

katavallo

Aspirant
l3ta Can you give me a rough estimate on how much I should expect to pay (within a rough price range) for one year? I am assuming that I would add a moderate amount of plugins.
I tore my forum down today and WPforo went out the window for good.

l3ta

Enthusiast
l3ta Can you give me a rough estimate on how much I should expect to pay (within a rough price range) for one year? I am assuming that I would add a moderate amount of plugins.
I tore my forum down today and WPforo went out the window for good.
The XF license is a one-time payment of $160 and the annual renewal fee is $55 if you don't include additional addons.
You'll have to purchase hosting separately. Shared hosting will do if you don't have much activity.
Premium addons and skins can increase your annual cost depending on how many you get.
You are probably looking at $350 just for the XF license plus cheap hosting for the first year.

katavallo

Aspirant
The XF license is a one-time payment of $160 and the annual renewal fee is $55 if you don't include additional addons.
You'll have to purchase hosting separately. Shared hosting will do if you don't have much activity.
Premium addons and skins can increase your annual cost depending on how many you get.
You are probably looking at $350 just for the XF license plus cheap hosting for the first year.
Alright that is roughly what I thought. I am glad to hear that renewal is cheaper than the initial fee.
Hosting is the cheapest part so I am not worried about that.

katavallo

Aspirant
Let's see it!
I will tag you in a post once I start putting the website up. I will probably get around to it next week. I am going to go with XenForo.
I just purchased a new domain last night, abilityforums.com and will be using that moving forward with the new forum. I paid about $80 from GoDaddy for an admin email account, domain, and domain security for a year. Not too bad.

l3ta

Enthusiast
giphy.gif

tony45

Enthusiast
Hey squad,
I have had my inactive forum Katavallo.org for a year now. I simply have just have not had time for it but I want to finally bring it to life and probably change my domain name.
My forum currently runs on WordPress plugin WPforo and I HATE IT. I hate how small everything fits dimension wise in the browser (crammed in the center with boring wasted space on the sides). I also hate the complexities of logging into WordPress, and I hate how bland and not personalized the template is; there is no user sidebar and no way to show recent topics in a customizable format. On top of that, I have spam bots out of the wazoo; anyone want any sexual dysfunction pills or "premium pharmacy soap" LOL?

My question is, what forum templates would you recommend and why? What qualities do you like about it? I took a look at XenForo (not a WordPress plugin) and like that layout but I wanted to get your feedback and suggestions first so that I don't regret a template.

What kind of community are you setting up?
What kind of features are you looking for?

katavallo

Aspirant
What kind of community are you setting up?
What kind of features are you looking for?
Hey! I am creating a forum for people with disabilities, educators, caregivers, and parents. My forum will be AbilityForums.com
I want a forum that has a wide format with the ability to add a lot of add ons; a chat box, articles, videos, etc. I also want to allow for a section of the site to upload resource videos from Youtube (maybe). I am a fan of the formatting of EmptyClosets.com and DoomsDayPrepperForums.com. I know that DoomsDay uses XenForo. As suggested, I will probably go with XenForo. Any advice or suggestions?

tony45

Enthusiast
Hey! I am creating a forum for people with disabilities, educators, caregivers, and parents. My forum will be AbilityForums.com
I want a forum that has a wide format with the ability to add a lot of add ons; a chat box, articles, videos, etc. I also want to allow for a section of the site to upload resource videos from Youtube (maybe). I am a fan of the formatting of EmptyClosets.com and DoomsDayPrepperForums.com. I know that DoomsDay uses XenForo. As suggested, I will probably go with XenForo. Any advice or suggestions?

It´s ok. Before seeing which forum to recommend, I like to know what kind of community you´re trying to set up. If you are really on the budget then yes, xenforo is your best option

katavallo

Aspirant
It´s ok. Before seeing which forum to recommend, I like to know what kind of community you´re trying to set up. If you are really on the budget then yes, xenforo is your best option
What are the other options? I like to be well informed.

tony45

Enthusiast
What are the other options? I like to be well informed.

Well, the main companies here are Xf, invision, and Vbulletin (not recommended).

I´d said Xf is a bit cheaper and a good option is your are on the budget and only want a forum solution (but probably the best, imho).

Invision gives you a lot more features to create a community, not just a forum: clubs (you can create micro communities inside your site), commerce (monetization, handling of subcriptions), Pages (a CMS so you can create lot of widgets and sections very easily), Calendar, etc. They´re also creating a mobile app (ios, android).

Im setting a new community (dedicated to entrepreneurs) and Ill spending $90 each year, but if you only want forum + Pages it´s only $40.
Last but not least, invision have a lot faster cicle of development than Xf (they´re 20 guys vs 3 or 4 of Xenforo) so each year they release a lot more new features.
Anyway, there is no better software than another, it depends on what kind of community you want to create.

gConverter

Participant
I hate how small everything fits dimension wise in the browser (crammed in the center with boring wasted space on the sides). I also hate the complexities of logging into WordPress, and I hate how bland and not personalized the template is; there is no user sidebar and no way to show recent topics in a customizable format. On top of that, I have spam bots out of the wazoo; anyone want any sexual dysfunction pills or "premium pharmacy soap" LOL?
Hey man,
I see you're not familiar with WordPress and wpForo at all. Why are you using something that you don't even know how to add sidebar and make it wider, and what is a theme page template and how to make the template with sidebar?

Do you know that all you hate is the part of the WordPress theme you use? All you've mentioned come from the active WordPress theme not from wpForo. So I'd recommend you learn WordPress, and you'll see how easy will be to manage WP plugins and wpForo as well. Your theme's page template doesn't have a sidebar, and it has tons of spaces on the left and right spaces.

No doubt you'll have tons of more problems with other forum software if you use them the way you've done with WordPress / wpForo. Just learn what you're using and nothing more you need to have for a great success. The more you are familiar with the CMS/Forum the more you love and enjoy it.

BTW. Both the template and sidebars exist ;) Even more, all what you've mentioned are fully customizable and ready to use by just one click.

katavallo

Aspirant
Hey man,
I see you're not familiar with WordPress and wpForo at all. Why are you using something that you don't even know how to add sidebar and make it wider, and what is a theme page template and how to make the template with sidebar?

Do you know that all you hate is the part of the WordPress theme you use? All you've mentioned come from the active WordPress theme not from wpForo. So I'd recommend you learn WordPress, and you'll see how easy will be to manage WP plugins and wpForo as well. Your theme's page template doesn't have a sidebar, and it has tons of spaces on the left and right spaces.

No doubt you'll have tons of more problems with other forum software if you use them the way you've done with WordPress / wpForo. Just learn what you're using and nothing more you need to have for a great success. The more you are familiar with the CMS/Forum the more you love and enjoy it.

BTW. Both the template and sidebars exist ;) Even more, all what you've mentioned are fully customizable and ready to use by just one click.
I really hated both WPforo and WordPress. It is a personal choice. I deleted by account and resigned my web domain with it.
Why did I use something that I did not know how to use? Well I don't know, so that I could learn it. The same as anything else. I am not a professional web developer, I just do it on the side.
I used WordPress managing a different type of site and did not have issues with it. However, I really really struggled this time around and found it very time intensive and disappointing. I used the official WPforo forum constantly and ended up frustrated over and over. I also hated the fact that I could not log into my forum directly from the WordPress site and while I eventually got used to using WPforo and WordPress in that capacity, I just downright hated it. I paid a fortune for all of the plugins and everything (I bought all of them). Even when I disabled the WordPress "format" I never really got anywhere, or the dimensions that I wanted. Plus, I never figured out how to add additional tabs or a chat box. I also had problems over and over again with new registrants receiving email confirmations, even though emails for everything else came through just fine.

katavallo

Aspirant
Well, the main companies here are Xf, invision, and Vbulletin (not recommended).

I´d said Xf is a bit cheaper and a good option is your are on the budget and only want a forum solution (but probably the best, imho).

Invision gives you a lot more features to create a community, not just a forum: clubs (you can create micro communities inside your site), commerce (monetization, handling of subcriptions), Pages (a CMS so you can create lot of widgets and sections very easily), Calendar, etc. They´re also creating a mobile app (ios, android).

Im setting a new community (dedicated to entrepreneurs) and Ill spending $90 each year, but if you only want forum + Pages it´s only $40.
Last but not least, invision have a lot faster cicle of development than Xf (they´re 20 guys vs 3 or 4 of Xenforo) so each year they release a lot more new features.
Anyway, there is no better software than another, it depends on what kind of community you want to create.
Thanks for the knowledge. Invision looks really fancy and it is good to see the contrast in services. I see the price difference you are referring to though but it looks pretty credible... they are the software that Second Life's forum uses... that is low-key a big deal lol.
I will go with XenForo. Definitely the most affordable. I have been fiddling around with the demo and it seems okay so far. I suppose that there will be a learning curve just as there is with anything.

gConverter

Participant
Why did I use something that I did not know how to use? Well I don't know, so that I could learn it. The same as anything else. I am not a professional web developer, I just do it on the side.
You don't need to be pro dev. But I know very well that the WordPress and the forum plugins of WP are tens of times easier to use than IPB, XF or vB and all are free. Now you should spend lots of many, and you'll probably need some person who can help you and maybe one day you'll roll back to WordPress starting to learn it more. In any case I wish you good luck with the new forum solution and suggest you don't hate softwares that are used and loved by tens of thousands people.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Just because something is popular does not automatically imply it is good or a correct fit for a task.

You couldn’t pay me enough to use WP.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Ergo, Windows lol!!

To be honest I find Windows in its current form to be not unreasonable. It doesn't get in the way of what I want to do most of the time and even though it's against my better nature, letting it auto-update hasn't caused any major issues yet.

The only thing that bugs me is the same issue I have with iOS which is when they change a function and you have to go searching for it.