Rebranding and changing a 23-year old (but hopelessly dated-sounding) domain name - your thoughts?

itlo

Neophyte
Changing domain won't solve your problems. For most of users .com or .org doesn't matter at all. They don't even notice them. And you rist alienating your current users if you change the name. Your current domain is cool. Although the new domain you have registered is also very nice.
Although, using 301 redirects you can do it pretty easy.

DigNap15

Adherent
I think its a problem all us of forum owners face.
There is so much competiton for users time these days
Youtube, Facebook (and now Facebook Groups) Reddit, Quira, Blogs, other forums, other websites

Years ago forums were king, virtually the only way to interact on the internet

Mine is a politiical and general forum (very busy) but I'd like twice as many members
I don't have any experience in your forums subject

Google does not seem to like forums either, which does not help

Oh!

Enthusiast
Hi Cyburbia

I think I might have a cool .com for your website. Available for registration! I think it will speak to your members and future members and the name will make them smile. I am not saying that you should necessarily change domain, but maybe as part of a larger makeover it could work. If you login to TAZ, I'll PM the domain name to you. I guess I'll drop you a PM anyway, linking to this post.

If you do not like the name, I'd be tempted to register it myself. On the other hand, I have a loathing for domain squatting/hogging, so perhaps not.

Oh!

Enthusiast
Now that I've read this thread more carefully, I think I understand Cyburbia's rationale for changing domain name. 'Cy(ber)' certainly dates the website to the 90s - and not in a good, nostalgic way. Though, unless there are going to be larger changes, I don't think I would bother with the rebrand. However, if Cyburbia is looking to up the profile of the website, add new features and content (perhaps some blogs from influential or well-regarded town planners, etc., galleries, etc.) and go for an overall fresh approach, I certainly can see mileage in rebranding. But, the rebrand would need to fit with the new aims and not suffer from a similarly faddish domain name.

And, of course, permanent redirects for all the existing content are vitally important too. As part of an overall strategy, I think a new domain would not only be warranted, but could be of benefit.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Lean into the culture and don't be ashamed of being successful for so long.

I'd rebrand, but create a strong visual brand that links the past with the present. I'd also consider a landing page with your best articles and content, with a section for new topics/posts coming in. It'll be more penetrable than a list of forums for new visitors.

Also put your elevator pitch at the top for guests to make it clear the purpose and value of the community.

The domain name right now carries most of the branding, but with stronger branding it won't matter so much.

Oh!

Enthusiast
Cyburbia I see that you liked my last two posts. Thank you! But the reason I am posting this is to urge/remind you to respond to my PM (assuming that you are interested rebranding) and I'll supply you with the domain name I think might work for you. It is available for registration. It is memorable and should create small smile at the same time. :)

R0binHood

Habitué
I also really like the name Cyburbia, it’s perfect for your topic. I wouldn’t change that.

It’s a little odd being a .org, but I wouldn’t worry much about that now, although you might find a neat new tld combo now that there so many new ones available.