Re-addressing a WP installation

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Folks-

I can find some info on Moving a WP site...but that's not what I want to do.

I have a site installed at current,mysite,org and I want to change it to new.mysite.org—I can probably figure out the cpanel stuff to change the name of the directory and the subdomain, but is there anything I need to change in the WP settings?

Any hints, tips, tricks, gotchas that I should know about?

thanks!

--don

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Phillip -
Have you tried this URL?
I did read that—but I don't want to move the site/files, just rename the directory that holds them. I wasn't sure if the (what seems intricate to me) process was the same.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I did read that—but I don't want to move the site/files, just rename the directory that holds them. I wasn't sure if the (what seems intricate to me) process was the same.
Well, mysite.org and new.mysite.org are NOT the same. new.mysite.org is a sub-domain of the main domain, so it would require a change in the WordPress configuration also.

Now, if you are talking about just simply keeping the mysite.org domain name and moving them into a different directory on your hosting, you simply need to change the location of the HTTP server base directory of that vhost.

Last edited:

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Okay... I see the problem... a small typo in my OP. It should have read:

current.mysite,org and I want to change it to new.mysite.org (I had a comma instead of the dot)

I simply want to change the name of the sub-domain.

Maddox

Habitué
I believe there may be some confusion as to what your current address is; is it:

current.mysite.org or is it mysite.org

And are you wanting to put your WP installation into a sub-domain called new.mysite.org?

If it's the latter then all you need to do is create a sub-domain name called new.mysite.org, create a sub-domain name folder on your server called 'new' (or whatever you want to call it), point your sub domain name (new.mysite.org) to that folder and move all your WP files into that folder. You then need to change the domain name settings in your WP installation to reflect the new sub-domain name.

I do this all the time when updating/creating a new WP site for a client on their server, which leaves their existing site operational until the new site is ready, then it's just a case of moving everything to it's new location and making the necessary changes in the WP settings.

;)

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
I believe there may be some confusion as to what your current address is; is it:
current.mysite.org or is it mysite.org
And are you wanting to put your WP installation into a sub-domain called new.mysite.org?
yeh... and the confusion is my fault--a typo in the original post

I want to go from current.mysite.org to new.mysite.org --keeping the files on the same server.

If I understand what you're saying, I should create a new folder, and point the sub-domain name at it, then move the WP files—not simply rename the folder.

--don

Maddox

Habitué
If I understand what you're saying, I should create a new folder, and point the sub-domain name at it, then move the WP files—not simply rename the folder.
You got it! You can use any sub-domains you want in this way. e.g. one for WP, one for a Forum, one for a Website etc. Just create a folder for each on your server and point your sub-domains at them.

;)