RC2 Thumbnail issue?

bogie

Participant
If i add an image to gallery, it gives me an option to crop the image for thumbnails. Like below.
crop.PNG

However even by selecting and cropping, when i goto the dashboard area, the image shown isnt sized to fit the box correctly.

dash.PNG
It just looks 'wrong' to me. Or am i missing a setting?

Articles have a slightly different but similar problem with image display, i will post separate on that.

bogie

Participant
You better post this on the wolt lab forums :)
I thought only those with a license could post there? this is the RC2 version, we wont buy a license until we are sure it does what we want. Kind of vicious circle lol.

There is a worse one on articles, i am surprised no one else has mentioned it, thats why i thought it was just me.

demon326

Enthusiast
I thought only those with a license could post there? this is the RC2 version, we wont buy a license until we are sure it does what we want. Kind of vicious circle lol.

There is a worse one on articles, i am surprised no one else has mentioned it, thats why i thought it was just me.

dtdesign Since the poster cant leave feedback, maybe you can take a look :)

dtdesign

WoltLab Developer
bogie I've forwarded this to one of our developers, please allow us some time to figure this out.

PS: You can also use the pre-purchase area to raise such questions, we really don't mind that at all ;)

dtdesign

WoltLab Developer
bogie The quadratic thumbnail ("tiny" thumbnail") uses fixed dimensions: It uses the smallest side and scales it down to match the dimensions and then equally crops out the other sides to fit into, eventually extracting a center piece with the longest sides being cropped. This topic is quite difficult, as we previously had a different algorithm that scaled down the image to fit all boundaries, but that caused wide/tall images to be scaled down beyond recognition.

The selection offered when uploading an image is used for the small, medium and large thumbnails, as they're relatively unbound when it comes to dimensions.

Please let me know if you have any further questions! :)

bogie

Participant
So how do i get around it? or are you saying i am stuck with whatever it produces?

bogie

Participant
Having tried this with several images, what you get is the centre section of the image as the small thumbnail pic in the dashboard. It seems to make no difference how you crop it in gallery. These are not large images, it makes putting them on the dashboard pointless as it stands.

dtdesign

WoltLab Developer
Trying to fit a non-quadratic image into a quadratic view is always going to be awkward, regardless of any custom cropping, it simply never represents the original image - at best it can be less awkward of course.

We're evaluating certain different approaches to solving this consistently across our entire product line, but as of now, we cannot offer a different solution. Any changes would earliest arrive with the next major release.

bogie

Participant
Trying to fit a non-quadratic image into a quadratic view is always going to be awkward, regardless of any custom cropping, it simply never represents the original image - at best it can be less awkward of course.

We're evaluating certain different approaches to solving this consistently across our entire product line, but as of now, we cannot offer a different solution. Any changes would earliest arrive with the next major release.
Does that also apply to the more serious article issue? Surely your not telling me the way articles currently handle pictures is expectable?

Take a look at the other thread where i post an example, no offense but how can that wait for a major release?

The other issue is i did crop it quadratic as you can see, so why didnt it scale properly?

bogie

Participant
Might be better to move this over to woltlab.