Ransomware Email

ManagerJosh

Adherent
I'm going to just go on a limb and say this might be an instance of where the use of "ransomware" seems to be a poor choice of words...

Pigoo

Enthusiast
I'm going to just go on a limb and say this might be an instance of where the use of "ransomware" seems to be a poor choice of words...

While you may be technically correct...the main point is no one likes being held for or threatened with a "ransom"...regradless of the terminology used. Maybe I should have called it a "Ransom Email".:)

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Maybe I should have called it a "Ransom Email".
It's called "extortion."

ex·tor·tion
/ikˈstôrSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Good to see you around again! I haven't always agreed with your posts, but I do enjoy your participation and appreciate your points of view.

Appreciate your words :) I try to visit when I remember TAZ is still around :p

ManagerJosh

Adherent
While you may be technically correct...the main point is no one likes being held for or threatened with a "ransom"...regradless of the terminology used. Maybe I should have called it a "Ransom Email".:)

I'd tell them to go pound sand because the vast majority of these emails are simply phishing expeditions. Scare people to send money.

Oldcrow

Enthusiast
I have gotten a few of these, on my personal email and also on my forum email, they go into Trash now..

macfanpl

Enthusiast
This is all due to malicious people with malicious intent of stealing from us.
What to do? IGNORE but go to police.