R.I.P. FluxBB (official release)

Zelda

Enthusiast
FluxBB was a fork of PunBB created by its developers after Andersson left the project in April 2008. The developers felt that forking was necessary to maintain control over the development process without the influence of commercial interests. As with PunBB, it is released under the GNU General Public License. In July 2008, FluxBB was announced as a finalist in SourceForge.net's 2008 Community Choice Awards in the "Best New Project" category.

Originally a continuation of PunBB's 1.3 branch, it was announced in January 2009 that the then-current 1.3 branch would be discontinued and that FluxBB 1.4 would revert to being based on the 1.2 codebase. For FluxBB 1.4, several features were backported from 1.3, including UTF-8 support, a new default theme, and the ability to split and merge posts. The extension system, however, was not included. FluxBB 1.5 was released in May 2012.

In July 2012, it was announced that FluxBB 2.0, the next major version of the software, would be based on the Laravel PHP framework, with existing work ported to the new framework.

In 2015, FluxBB's lead developer Franz announced they would merge the project with another forum software named "Flarum" alongside esoTalk lead developer Toby Zerner. This caused a brief uproar in the FluxBB community and led to several forks of the FluxBB code. The most recent active continuation of FluxBB was conducted by a community member known as MioVisman, who continued to maintain and update the code throughout the years, publishing unofficial releases of FluxBB with his latest release (February 2021), making FluxBB PHP 8 compatible (https://github.com/MioVisman/FluxBB_by_Visman/releases). On May 31, 2021, it was discovered the official FluxBB dot com (FluxBB.com) website was offline, and as of this writing (June 9, 2021), it remains offline and the domain itself is set to expire, April 26, 2022.

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
A shame to hear that but lets face it, a lot of "oldschool" web scripts needed either an exit strategy or a full rebuild. Difficult to justify the later when a migration to any other existing script would take much less of everyone's time.

Paradigms have changed so significantly since those times. Notably, being free and opensource no longer means no monetization. Its a shame so many projects have shunned that for so long theyre losing relevance on top of active contributors (looking at you mybb).

haqzore

Devotee
To be frank, there are really only a few diamonds left in the rough of free scripts.

Going years between feature releases, even small, just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think many free platforms are surviving primarily on legacy admins that haven't migrated away for any number of reasons, as opposed to new people with an active & current desire to begin using them.

Just look at FluxBB. When was its last new feature or substantial improvement? A year and 4 months ago, they made it compatible with a new version of PHP. That's what you call clinging to life. Not thriving.

It might suck for sentimental reasons, but it's no great loss for the ecosystem.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Rip... I used to use PunBB a lot back in the day so it's really sad to see yet another great piece of software vanish.

ProWeb

Enthusiast
I had to come reply to this thread. PunBB is where my forum adventure began! I setup my first forum in 2004 on PunBB, and at the time I had no idea that doing so was going to eventually change my life completely in MANY ways! PunBB helped set in motion a really diverse, complicated, and epic journey that led me to where I am now owning / managing communities that are visited by millions of people all over the world. So crazy!

I remember converting to FluxBB, but that was short-lived because I eventually moved everything over to XenForo. I'm really glad I moved to XF, but PunBB / FluxBB will always have a special place in my heart.

davert

Adherent
FWIW, I started out with WebBBS. A couple of years ago, I ran into a forum that was still using it! Must have been updated by someone privately. I'd love to see a clone of that, it really enticed visitors into becoming members like nothing I've used since.