Quizzes and SEO

highlander29

Enthusiast
I believe I can create very high quality quizzes from a content perspective because I'm very knowledgable in my niche. In my niche, quizzes are important for search rankings so this is something I'd really like to do. I've investigated this a bit and created a couple quizzes with some of the online tools available.

The problem is that from an SEO standpoint, if I uses a cloud based tool that ends up directing members off site, I get absolutely no SEO value from it. All I'm doing is boosting the SEO of the quiz maker - which is of course why they offer these things for free so they can get people to their site and serve ads.

Does anyone know of some good software I can use to build quizzes that will allow me to keep people on site?

esquire

Habitué
I don't understand what you're trying to do. If a quiz maker has a quiz and you're referring to his site then by all means his site would be the important one. Something may be lost in the translation of what you're trying to do.

highlander29

Enthusiast
I don't understand what you're trying to do. If a quiz maker has a quiz and you're referring to his site then by all means his site would be the important one. Something may be lost in the translation of what you're trying to do.

There are two things. First, the niche my site is focused on is personality type. A good personality test would be an excellent resource for the members and people visiting the site. Right now, I point to several tests from the home page which represent the best tests I have come across. I look at it as a service to people who visit the site to point them to the best tests. Secondly, there is SEO value. However as I'm currently pointing to other sites, I'm helping their SEO quite a bit but I'm not doing anything for mine. If I can host my own tests on the site, it will increase rankings for the site overall and for keywords that drive some of the highest traffic (e.g., "personality test").

esquire

Habitué
There are two things. First, the niche my site is focused on is personality type. A good personality test would be an excellent resource for the members and people visiting the site. Right now, I point to several tests from the home page which represent the best tests I have come across. I look at it as a service to people who visit the site to point them to the best tests. Secondly, there is SEO value. However as I'm currently pointing to other sites, I'm helping their SEO quite a bit but I'm not doing anything for mine. If I can host my own tests on the site, it will increase rankings for the site overall and for keywords that drive some of the highest traffic (e.g., "personality test").
I have no idea what this means. Just because you're providing a link to another site doesn't mean you're materially providing a benefit. In fact, if your home page contains numerous outbound links (like a blogroll) your own site seems to indicate that it is of little value if you're sending people elsewhere. This is typically what Google refers to as doorway pages. Without seeing the site I can't comment further. From what you're telling me it doesn't sound like a great idea, no offense.

highlander29

Enthusiast
I have no idea what this means. Just because you're providing a link to another site doesn't mean you're materially providing a benefit. In fact, if your home page contains numerous outbound links (like a blogroll) your own site seems to indicate that it is of little value if you're sending people elsewhere. This is typically what Google refers to as doorway pages. Without seeing the site I can't comment further. From what you're telling me it doesn't sound like a great idea, no offense.

Yes, I understand there is no value sending people off-site. That's what I said. The vast majority of links on the home page link to areas within the site. It's a portal to the site so to speak. There are a few external links to tests on other sites.

It's a good idea for us to have our own quizzes on our site because they are an attractive resource for people to link to. Here is an example of one we did develop. Try it. It takes about 20 seconds.

http://typologycentral.com/wiki/index.php/Free_Social_Media_Personality_Test

You think that's a bad idea or worse than the outbound links I have now?

esquire

Habitué
You did a nice job on collecting information to make the home page a portal page. Can be useful. I'm not sure what your concern about SEO. To me the most important part is doing a good job on navigation, which I typically find difficult in many wiki sites. The human side is most important.