Quick question

User2684

Neophyte
Quick question regarding xenforo addons. What's the difference between those addons from developers, and those addons which you can have for free. Example a friend purchased an premium addon, and he gave me a copy. Is legal to use?

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Example a friend purchased an premium addon, and he gave me a copy. Is legal to use?
Really??? You have to ask if it's legal to use??? The fact that you have to ask, answers your question. But as you seem to be unable to tell the difference let me just say, YES it is not legal to use software that requires you to purchase it and you don't. DUHHHH!!!!!!

User2684

Neophyte
Really??? You have to ask if it's legal to use??? The fact that you have to ask, answers your question. But as you seem to be unable to tell the difference let me just say, YES it is not legal to use software that requires you to purchase it and you don't. DUHHHH!!!!!!

Chill out man, it was a question, didn’t robbed any bank here....

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
"Legal" is open to interpretation, but barring notable terms that authorize more than one install or allow use on more than one website (as long as a team member/admin purchased it, not necessarilly the site owner himself), the common consensus is this:
- your own website would not be licenced to use that addon. Website-specific licencing is a common way to counter unlicenced usage.
- You would not be marked as a paying client, and could have your requests for tech support denied or ignored.
- the user who paid for that addon and its corresponding tech support would be in violation of the terms he agreed upon, and could have his addon and support terminated.

Many addons nowadays rely on remote services, APIs or callbacks to operate properly, and your website not being on the developper's 'whitelist' would render the sharing of paid addons useless as the act of payment is the enabler that also associates an identity with installs. You might not obtain API keys, or find out that your API keys have been revoked.

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Chill out man, it was a question, didn’t robbed any bank here....
And a stupid one at that. You robbed not a bank but you robbed a developer his rightful payment for the use of their FOR PURCHASE software. Where is your common sense???? And moral standing????

User2684

Neophyte
And a stupid one at that. You robbed not a bank but you robbed a developer his rightful payment for the use of their FOR PURCHASE software. Where is your common sense???? And moral standing????

Mate, can you read the question? Is says, quick question. And it was just a question

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Mate, can you read the question? Is says, quick question. And it was just a question
That fact that you had to ASK says it all. My answer was quick too. Took me about as long to write as it took you to ask.

l3ta

Enthusiast
Buy the addon you want and avoid using pirated software.

User37935

Neophyte
Example a friend purchased an premium addon, and he gave me a copy. Is legal to use?

You need to purchase the add-on yourself if you want to use it on your site. Otherwise as stated above by l3ta it's effectively a pirated copy. Don't be surprised at the hostile reception to a question like this, there's a lot of developers here and people "just copying stuff" for other people is a real problem that deprives them of revenue. You'd be similarly annoyed if someone cloned your forum for a friend ;)

zappaDPJ

Administrator
In general, when you purchase a digital product you are buying a license with limitations, one being it's for your sole use unless stated otherwise.

TLChris

Administrator
First thank you for taking the time to post your question, and trusting the community to answer it.
Unfortunately, it did bring out some passionate folks, who forget what it's like to be newer member or starting up a forum.

A number of folks have answered you, but you must have a license to use paid add-ons per the agreement with the developer. Most addons are inexpensive licenses compared to what it would be if you had the addon developed solely for you.

User2684

Neophyte
First thank you for taking the time to post your question, and trusting the community to answer it.
Unfortunately, it did bring out some passionate folks, who forget what it's like to be newer member or starting up a forum.

A number of folks have answered you, but you must have a license to use paid add-ons per the agreement with the developer. Most addons are inexpensive licenses compared to what it would be if you had the addon developed solely for you.

Thanks for your answer. Really appreciate your CALM answer, I didn’t want to reply to others users who was very rude. Anyway, I know that I have to purchase the addon, but as my friend has offered to give me his paid addons, I was decided to ask first before installing them on my licensed forum. I’ve decided also to ask on this community, and wasn’t expected really “angry birds “ here.

TLChris

Administrator
Thanks for your answer. Really appreciate your CALM answer, I didn’t want to reply to others users who was very rude. Anyway, I know that I have to purchase the addon, but as my friend has offered to give me his paid addons, I was decided to ask first before installing them on my licensed forum.
If he decides to give them to you, just ensure you have full access to the license, and he can't take them back at a later time. That would put you out of compliance, and require you to remove the addon, or purchase it.

Let's move on from this without name calling - and help you build the best community you can.