Purchasing forums which are for sale

shawnhartwell

Habitué
Hello,

I was wondering what everybody though about purchasing an already established forum. I am also wondering where someone would find listings of such offers besides here on TAZ via members posts.

TheNakedMan

Adherent
I’ve picked up previously owned forums.
I look around often, and if someone contacts me about them selling, etc.

ibaker

Enthusiast
It is in my opinion very very risky. Site owners can sell you their forum only to start up another one a week later and take the users back. I purchased a forum once and a week later one of the moderators had started up his own site and and as he had become well known to the users they all went to his new site after he sent out a message to them all leaving me with a very costly dead site. Personally I think the best person to buy a site is one that is already well known and liked on the site otherwise unless you have a very good contract of sale to protect you you risk losing your money...unless you buy the site for not much more than software replacement cost.

Drastic

Habitué
make sure the members of the forum are also notified.

I bought a forum, I think from someone here, and it ended up being like the second time the users were sold and they were p-ssed off.

Was an awful experience and waste of money.

I guess the seller liked buying forums, then reselling them, and I had no idea at the time.

Now if I pick one up, I make sure to have the current owner get a feel for it with their most active members, make sure we're all in good hands.