Promotional Tips

Nick25

Fan
Nick25 submitted a new Article:

Promotional Tips

Promoting Your Website

Sometimes people look too 'deep' to get ideas on ways to promote their forums or websites.
Some of the most effective ways to promote sites are right under our nose, yet we continue to look beyond them.

The main goals when promoting a website, are:
  • Capture somebody's attention
  • Present what you have to offer
  • Get them to remember your site
  • Get them to visit your site
All of that can be accomplished when advertising your forum, whether it is by word of mouth, on paper, or on the computer screen.

I, myself have engaged in the following promotional techniques, and while some are more effective than others, they have all benefited in some way.
For the examples, I am going to be referring to my Pet Forum. The link leads you to my current run of the site, but it's the version after I had to restart the forum, so it has a low number of members for now.

One of the most effective ways to promote is by word of mouth, or in person. I printed myself a ton of fliers that have my site URL at the top, with a short paragraph, and then a list of key points containing why they should visit the forum. I always carry the fliers around, and give one to everybody I see that's walking their dog, or is shopping in a pet store, or anything related to pets. People always give the positive feedback: “Oh wow! I will be sure to check it out!”

Another way is to stand out on the internet, and then present your forum. For example, if you visit other forums that are similar to your topic and you answer many questions and demonstrate extensive knowledge, then people would be interested in checking out your site. I like to do this on ‘Yahoo! Answers’. ‘Yahoo! Answers’ is sort of like a forum. But people ask questions, which fit into one of the many, many categories. I always head straight towards the pet section, and answer as many questions as possible, and include a link to my forum at the bottom. But don’t answer questions just to show your link. Be sure you are actually answering their question in full.

Another idea is sell some promotional products. Create a CafePress online store, and imprint your logo on the items. Buy some of the items (like t-shirts, tote bags, etc.) and give them to your family and friends as gifts. Now, they are walking advertisements. Be sure to give them a few fliers to keep with them when they wear the...​

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

jesterx

Enthusiast
I think you make some ok point but you fail to realise that the main thing people realise is that they wont use your business if you dont advertise your benefits.

I mean think back to when you are phoning a company to let say for example get rid of those pesky wasps clogging up your house gutter.

WOuld you phone the company 1 who advertises this way

1) we remove wasps, effective, very good call us now.

no....you wouldnt

ok how bout company 2)

2) We blast wasps to oblivion, same day service, free quote, lastest chemical treatment to kill you wasp problems once and for good. We come to you 2hrs after you call guarantee or your treatment is 50% off.

Now this is a service I would go for.

BENEFITS SELL WELL...not any of the other stuff. YOu have to entice your audience and think what would make them come to you over anyone else.

hope this helps.

Nick25

Fan
I think you make some ok point but you fail to realise that the main thing people realise is that they wont use your business if you dont advertise your benefits.

I mean think back to when you are phoning a company to let say for example get rid of those pesky wasps clogging up your house gutter.

no....you wouldnt

ok how bout company 2)

2) We blast wasps to oblivion, same day service, free quote, lastest chemical treatment to kill you wasp problems once and for good. We come to you 2hrs after you call guarantee or your treatment is 50% off.

BENEFITS SELL WELL...not any of the other stuff. YOu have to entice your audience and think what would make them come to you over anyone else.

hope this helps.
That is correct, but my article isn't regarding how you should format your advertising. It's about ways to advertise and promote.

blaque

Aspirant
I think flyers are a good idea. I just made some and will hand them out at work for starters. I have an author fan site so maybe some of the local book stores will let me leave some there. It's worth a try!

meanne2007

Neophyte

no....you wouldnt

ok how bout company 2)

hope this helps.

very well said..:)

threepwood

Participant
Just to add on the subject of flyers, if you're running a car related forum like we do and attend lots of shows and events, try and take a load of flyers with you and flyer all of the cars in the car park. The hit rate isn't 100% but it's a great way of spreading the word.

Thanks for the great post. I have already done the flier thing (although we used stickers) and it has been very effective.

I like you idea about yahoo answers.

Thanks again

mindy81

Neophyte
Great Tip. Promotional Items do represent your business and it's identity by creating a 'brand' out of your company. People often find that the gimmick of getting something for free makes them want to use the services of the company that gave them the products. The items also serve as a tangible reminder of what you provide and the customer is more likely to have a longer recall. Our company sells promo products here in Australia and we love that our clients feel that they have captured a market by using some of their marketing budgets to get some items decorated with their logo.

Shelly

Aspirant
I will note that tips however this might get my pocket have a huge hole.
thanks
Shelly

rowenalee

Neophyte
I already did all the promotional tips you have mentioned but the flier thing is new to me. I think I need to do that flier thing because as what you have claimed I think it's going to be really effective. Great post. Thanks a lot!

Ray22

Neophyte
Adding onto the flier and person/person idea, some great thoughts on that would be to place them in local areas.

Such as coffee houses, your school/a school, and ecspecially a library. (libraries are great public place for the spread of ideas)

anywhere that has a bulletin board I'm sure you can post a flier or little Url card. lolz

Gamesstop

PrismBB - Free & Premium MyBB Themes
Wow. This is very helpful. I never thought about going out of the internet community to advertise my website. This seems like a really good idea. I might give it a go.