Project vB4

ChrisTERiS

Participant
"Too good to die"

This is what I believe for vBulletin and I'll try my best to keep vB4 alive. But I'm in need of people who also love vBulletin 4 and they're ready to help to this project. I'm not looking for financial sponsors but for voluntaries who can help by spending some of their free time to find and suggest content (plugins) that are useful to be part of this special release.

First and most important step is to bypass a real (the only for me) disadvantage that vB4 has. A responsive design. I already found one which is based on w3.css. W3.css is a lightware, powerful, mobile friend framework, just like Bootstrap but without the need of jQuery. The good point with this framework is that it can works with minimal changes to your current theme as it uses the default css classes. Needs some template edits and all extra css code in the additional.css file. You can check the default vB4 theme modified with w3.css at: https://www.myvb4.com/forum.php

The problem with this theme is that is commercial, that's why I'm working on a totally new theme which will be 100% Free for TAZ members. In a couple of days I'll post a preview link. But I can guarantee that if you like the default theme, you'll love my custom one :)

Next steps:
  • To update some of the current vB functions with modern one. eg:
    • The first and most important is to open a mini profile popup like xenForo, something that I already have in all my PHP scripts. It's very easy from coding side, the boring job is to replace in all templates the link to the profile page with the new link which will open a modal popup.
    • To replace the old dated PM messaging with a conversation system. Actually I've already a module for this.
    • .......and anything that you'll suggest.
  • To make clear to all those coders and designers who have retired their work, that is not a waste of time to update their plugins/themes. As I do believe that vB4 still has a future ahead, I already started doing it. You can see an example of my Video Club (Responsive) at: https://www.myvb4.com/video.php
What I'm expecting from you:
  • To find the best FREE plugins and template edits to include them (responsive if need changes) to the default theme. Here I want your help. eg As I wanted to show user avatar in the header, I found a simple plugin and I added it in the package.
  • Post the link here with a short description why you count is as important.
  • The other who will read your post, please like the post, to make understandable that this plugin is good.
Important Rules:
  • The link to the site that I post before is just for testing purposes. Registrations are disabled.
  • Use only this thread for posting your suggestions and ideas.
Thank you
Chris
aka ChrisTERiS or even MicroHellas :)

ChrisTERiS

Participant
....... Addition ................

As English is not my native language, I want to use examples on what I mean by saying "Free plugins to include". As I said I already added a mini plugin which makes available the user avatar at header. But plugins, even free, like "Advanced Like/Thank" from DBTech, even if I count them as valuable, I can't add them due to copyright restrictions.

What I'll add as standard from my own plugins:
  • I'll replace the current Member list with my own as I count it having much more features.
  • Depending on your settings, you can decide to replace the current PM system with my Team Talk which is a multiuser Messaging System.
  • I'll add EU GDPR plugin
  • I'll add PM Spy, a plugin that I'll recode from scratch.
  • I'll add Extra Pages plugin for those who have the Suite version
  • I'll add a mini mod for sending HTML emails

Nabix

Yeah, I feel updating vB to php7+ would be a big undertaking.

ChrisTERiS

Participant
Responsive designs are a nice to have, but what vB4 (and vB3) also need is updating to run on php 7.4 / 7.3.
I do know it Paul. At least, thanks to you, it works fine with 7.0, 7.1. I can't say that I've so much free time (and knowledge level) to do such update. Everything depends on the popularity of this projects. If I see that there are many members interesting on this project, finally I can hire someone to keep compatibility with later PHP versions.

Currently I'm focusing to add some minor, but important in my opinion, improvements. eg That modal profile popup, I count it as a must. Also I've in mind to remove all those redirection messages. They were valuable 10 years ago, but now I think that they're outdated. Maybe I'll replace them with jQuery Toast Messages.

ChrisTERiS

Participant
Some other improvements that for sure will be include:

1.- Login in modal window. Still thinking if it should be good also to include there the registration form. Should be like this:

1592289284106.png

2.- Sidebar: While in desktop view will works as normal, in mobile view it should not be below the main content, but rather as a slide full height panel. I'm using it in all my PHP scripts and I found it to be very user friendly.

3.- Search: Same like sidebar. Should be a slide panel. Don't know if I'll make it Ajax powered but even as a static form is better to be there.

4.- Another boring task, just like to change all profile links to open in a modal, is to validate forms inline.

5.- And something that is just a ... dream :) . The simpler is to replace the Attachments Manager with a Multi files - Multiple Images Ajax uploader that I've coded a couple of years ago. 90% I'll be able to do this, but you never know. But the best of the best, that's why I wrote that is just a dream, is to replace the current editor with Froala. Even not impossible, should be very difficult and maybe will causes incompatibilities with bbcode.

What is for sure is, that even these small to medium tweaks, will give a modern and fresh air to vB4.

Paul M If you don't mind, can you tell me, where that outdated Yahoo UI is used? I want, if it's possible, to remove it and replace it with something else.

Last edited:

ChrisTERiS

Participant
You can see a pre-Alpha version of Forumhome custom design in the link below. Better check it with mobile.
  • NavBar moved at the top
  • Added Forum Image (you can set different per forum)
  • Forum icon changed to Font Awesome (you can set different per forum)
  • The RSS icon on the right of Title is still mockup
  • On the right of Forum subtitle is a popmenu "Subforums)
  • On the right of "Welcome to Forums" you'll see a small block switcher (Temporary position). You can click on it to see the sidebar.
That's for the moment :)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
IP doesnt seem to resolve, the site only worked here when I ran it through browserling.com

ChrisTERiS

Participant
IP doesnt seem to resolve, the site only worked here when I ran it through browserling.com
For me it works, but I asked some friends to test it from Germany, Ireland, Norway and USA (Pennsylvania) and they were able to access it.

1592324494167.png

I'm not guru with DNS, so the info that I can give is almost minimal.

DaveL

Habitué
Working fine for me, however some of the images are not secure.

ChrisTERiS

Participant
Working fine for me, however some of the images are not secure.
Thank you for reporting it. Added to header
HTML:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Security-Policy" content="upgrade-insecure-requests">
and now must be ok.

haqzore

Devotee
Disclaimer: I am not a coder, and am likely among the least knowledgeable of those in this topic.

ChrisTERiS - if you consider all of the time & work involved in this... After all that time & work, you've patched software that's more than a decade old and no longer maintained.

Is it worth it? Isn't there a much more sustained potential audience by lending your time & skill to any of the current, maintained software? The VB4 audience is not growing.

From the outside, this feels like sunk cost fallacy to me... Just delaying the inevitable.

Individuals commit the sunk cost fallacy when they continue a behavior or endeavor as a result of previously invested resources (time, money or effort).

ChrisTERiS

Participant
Is it worth it? Isn't there a much more sustained potential audience by lending your time & skill to any of the current, maintained software? The VB4 audience is not growing.
All is about love & passion (in Greece we call it meraki). I believe that vBulletin left to die from people who think "I'm spending 1 and I want to get in return 100. If I don't, let it). I do agree that xenForo, IPS, WoltLabBB are also very good software with great support. But I grew-up with vBulletin, I did good money with vBulletin, and I don't like to read blames for it. vB4 (and even vB3) just need support. The software is still great. The company not.

That's in simple English. I had to express my thoughts and feelings much better if it was in Greek :)
PS: Also don't forget that I'm already 64yo so I've a sympathy to anything old. Old cars, Old houses, Young women... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Alfa1

Administrator
@Paul M If you don't mind, can you tell me, where that outdated Yahoo UI is used? I want, if it's possible, to remove it and replace it with something else.
If you want to replace YUI3 then that will be quite a task. IIRC.
How are you planning to do all this without file edits?

ChrisTERiS

Participant
If you want to replace YUI3 then that will be quite a task. IIRC.
How are you planning to do all this without file edits?
Removing/Replacing YUI was just a thought. For all rest, I don't plan to modify any php code. Actually I don't think that I've legal rights to modify php code. But I'll replace some file. eg memberlist.php. This is legal. There is only one file modification to allow HTML emails. All others are extra php files and template edits.