Project Atlas - Create A Database of Maps Using Invision Community Pages App

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Welcome User,
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Based on a recent suggestion from the community we have developed a maps database.

Currently you are only going to see Alabama as we add the other 49 US states.. Take the tour...

Visit the page - https://www.mymilitia.com/atlas/

A Map database like this can be of great use to multiple types of communities. If anyone needs help setting this up feel free to contact me through this site.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
With displaying the inline maps in the directory listing, any page performance concerns when the number of records increases?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
With displaying the inline maps in the directory listing, any page performance concerns when the number of records increases?
its only a linked photo of the map

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Is use of the mapping service cost-efficient or completely free? IINM many serve a limited call count before they start charging or disabling your API key (Google Maps pricing for reference), so I wondered if your site's data can be seamlessly mapped to different providers like Mapbox in case this feature turns popular or you extend your API usage to extra services on your websites.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
this uses core map functionality default to ips, so if things go south i can switch and the changes will be site wide

Joel R

Fan
Is use of the mapping service cost-efficient or completely free? IINM many serve a limited call count before they start charging or disabling your API key (Google Maps pricing for reference), so I wondered if your site's data can be seamlessly mapped to different providers like Mapbox in case this feature turns popular or you extend your API usage to extra services on your websites.
There are two mapping services that are part of the 'community enhancements' with default Invision Community. One is Google, the other is Mapbox.

fixer you're using a PDF embedder, right?

Also, are you adding any custom fields that make the collection of maps more valuable than if a user were to go directly to the park website?

Also, I wonder if it might just be easier for you to use Member Map, available in the Marketplace. It won't have all of the custom fields of Pages (which it doesn't seem like you're using anyways), but it would be a lot faster / easier for you to identify the markers. You can still offer different kinds of markers (eg. Monuments, training grounds, public parks, camping grounds, etc) and everything would be on big map.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
There are two mapping services that are part of the 'community enhancements' with default Invision Community. One is Google, the other is Mapbox.

fixer you're using a PDF embedder, right?

Also, are you adding any custom fields that make the collection of maps more valuable than if a user were to go directly to the park website?

Also, I wonder if it might just be easier for you to use Member Map, available in the Marketplace. It won't have all of the custom fields of Pages (which it doesn't seem like you're using anyways), but it would be a lot faster / easier for you to identify the markers. You can still offer different kinds of markers (eg. Monuments, training grounds, public parks, camping grounds, etc) and everything would be on big map.
The members want to be able to upload region maps for reference yes the pdf’s embed on the site... as an additional feature i show a map that pint points where the region map is depicting