Problem with some XF boards (as a user).

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
They have stated many times the exact opposite of your claims: they do not use any HTML standards including W3C validation as a ranking factor.
It was something they were saying well over a decade ago but certainly since 2018 they have consistently said as long as they can extract the content, HTML validity does not matter.

Other search engines may vary. That said, good HTML is just good for everyone.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
It was something they were saying well over a decade ago but certainly since 2018 they have consistently said as long as they can extract the content, HTML validity does not matter.

Other search engines may vary. That said, good HTML is just good for everyone.

2007:
"Although we do recommend using valid HTML, it's not likely to be a factor in how Google crawls and indexes your site."

Even the SEO starter guide version they put out around 2010 doesn't reference Chromium or other browser type as a ranking factor. I've been following their write-ups since the early days, and this is the first heard of them devaluing any site based on which browser standards it coded for . Maybe I missed it in Matt Cutt's blog or posts on WMW, and would love to add that the history I've learned... any links?

Pete

Oh, they’ve never *ever* said “code for a specific browser”. 2007 would predate Chrome in its entirety in any event.

Here’s the thing: they have generally said over the years that valid is good but have stopped short of saying “valid gets more rank” because I don’t think it’s ever been directly true.

However: pages that do not validate may be problematic for structured data analysis (= bad for rankings) and may be parsed as bad experience on mobile (= bad for rankings), though of course this is very much a black box we’re all trying to peer into.

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-invalid-html-concern-21556.html for example.

Plus there is a correlation between ”the type of people who check validity” and “the type of people who invest in other areas of making their site perform well”.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
All, I apologize if my tone came across as snarky. It was the end of a terrible week, two vehicles down one of them with major repairs, and I should have waited before posting.

Last edited:

Pete

Nah you're all good. This whole subject makes a lot of people annoyed so I figured it was subject matter related ;)

Taylor J

Fan
All, I apologize if my tone came across as snarky. It was the end of a terrible week, two vehicles down one of them with major repairs, and I should have waiting befreo posting.
As just a reader of this thread until now, I didn't think you came off snarky at all.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
As just a reader of this thread until now, I didn't think you came off snarky at all.

The situation:
My truck broke down in another state, leaving me, wife, sons and elderly mother-in-law stranded at rural gas station for 7 hours waiting for a tow, and no rental cars available. Repairs will be $7,000+ and my wife's car was already in a repair shop. Fortunately, my daughter and son-in-law drove their spare car here, and we salvaged part of our vacation/holiday.

We're home now, but emotionally I am still raw and it's hard to know when I've been a jerk. I need a vacation to recover from my vacation!

Now back to the regular topic. :)

ThornInYourSide

Participant
It's funny how we cope, or don't.

My last ten years combined haven't been as bad as that, yet I'm at my wits's end due to a thousand minor things. One way it shows it that I have virtually no filters. I say whatever (or type) comes out at the moment.

ThornInYourSide

Participant
Found something in XF I didn't know was there.. I always hated that when you clicked "New posts', you only got unread posts and had to click again to see all posts including unread.. Last night on another board, I noticed the 'Filters' button and that you could change the default. behavior.

Little things.

Pete

Well, I have to be honest, if I click a link called “new posts” I don’t really expect “posts that aren’t new because I have already read them”…

Seems to me like you want the What’s New page which has a bunch of “latest posts” type stuff.

ThornInYourSide

Participant
I do it for continuity. New posts only, excluding unread makes me feel like something is missing, like the board is out of sequence somehow. Including unread fills in that blank and works fine as long as New posts are in Bold.

What's new seems to add stuff that isn't always part of the board on at least some XF installs.