Probably a little unprofessional but....

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I have a member on one of my sites who is a meme whore -- he posts thousands of them, many can be considered offensive. We routinely have to delete them. However, he is a good member in other ways so we grudgingly deal with his bs...

I couldnt help myself. I made this meme and put it in on of his meme threads.... (thats his username there)

1600286014806.png

zappaDPJ

Administrator
When all else fails and you really don't want to pull the plug on a member it's sometime worth taking a gamble and taking a step outside of the usual box of rules.

Now you've posted, you do realize you have to let us know the result ;)

R0binHood

Habitué
I found the thread. Some good memes :tup:

Pleasantly surprised to see a Wallace & Grommit meme, there's so much more potential for good quality W&G memes.

As a little aside, I really like the post areas tab on the member profiles. Gives a really neat digest of info to show what areas of the forum a prolific user is active in. Surprised I don't see it more often.

• Admin

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
As a little aside, I really like the post areas tab on the member profiles. Gives a really neat digest of info to show what areas of the forum a prolific user is active in. Surprised I don't see it more often.

I actually use that more then some might think. When a member is a PITA I can look at that and see just how important to the site he really is. ie, are all his posts in the political forum or the tech forums?

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
I have a member on one of my sites who is a meme whore -- he posts thousands of them, many can be considered offensive.
Bann and move on.. If you accept offence 1, 2, 3... etc will appear on

we_are_borg

Administrator
Im not that kind of admin. It takes alot for me to ban someone

Site that i admin same banning (except spammers) is last resort and i only banned one this year, after telling him to contact private give him a warning etc but he did not listen. At the end of it all he just wanted to advertise but not follow the rules.

Philpug

Participant
This is a slipper slope to go down, banning for too many meme. What's next someone not profing thier posts before hitting reply? Oh damn. At somepoint they you will have a community of one. Reach out to him, he might not realize there is an issue. Mention that you have had complaints. He might think he is the funniest guy in the room. FWIW, every forum has someome like him.

davert

Enthusiast
I limited image space and images per post... since the system has to locally cache all images. I don't encourage any sort of memes. Then again I tend to have a more traditional set of viewers. Meme lovers stay on Facebook.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Likewise. Banning anyone, especially long time members is something I'll go to great lengths to avoid.
Aside from spammers, the last time we last outright banned someone appears to be four years ago.

We have the infractions system which suspends people for anything from 1 day to 1+ months, using that almost always works.

On top of that, we can ban people from specific threads for a few days, which usually calms them down.

davert

Enthusiast
Aside from spammers, the last time we last outright banned someone appears to be four years ago.

We have the infractions system which suspends people for anything from 1 day to 1+ months, using that almost always works.

On top of that, we can ban people from specific threads for a few days, which usually calms them down.

You're nicer than I am! I use a four strikes system. Each warning is one point, you get four points, you get a timeout until they time down to three points again. However, the mods can make the points stick as long as they want.

Three years ago, the moderators had a discussion and we developed a permanent ban policy because two people kept skirting the rules, staying BARELY within tolerance, while contributing nothing. This policy required five moderators (out of eight) to assert that they were voting in favor of removing the person.

We have made it very clear, too, that we *are* biased — people who contribute information or expertise or opinions of value do get more rope to hang themselves with.

As a side note, I personally have been suspended from my own forums, so I know the system works. It's important that moderators and even the owner (or former owner in my case) can be suspended or banned.

One other note - our most recent action was banning a person from a specific forum ('off-topic') where they had problems staying in line.

RisingSun

Aspirant
I don't think we have ever banned anyone except for spammers. The people who act up get so much abuse and public shaming that they just leave on their own. That's actually highly entertaining. Has anyone here ever heard of KenM?

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Im not that kind of admin. It takes alot for me to ban someone
I am unsure if you linked you website link., If you can link and PM on meme things.. can guess.

Wrong decision to bann can cost mess, FACED IT !
All people you trust are 1 same person in most cases, FACED on 3 sites..

Hence, being strict. unless those memes HURT YOU or your site.