Paul

Administrator
Paul from Threadloom here. First off, I've created a separate account from Threadloom to post directly from. Feel free to start a conversation if you want to reach me faster.

Second, TLChris and I wanted to provide an update on Threadloom.

Threadloom Search and Newsletter were designed to make it easier to find your best content. If you've been following our blog, you know that we've been experimenting with one type of content in particular: product discussions.

After two years of experiments, we've found a model that we think works really well for both admins and shoppers: (1) Organize discussions around common products and themes, (2) monetize them with affiliate tags, and (3) share the revenue.

To do this, we've started building a site called Primary. Here's a preview of what it will look like:

Preview - Collections.png

Preview - Products.png

1. How will you use my content exactly?
  • We group products into theme-based, SEO-friendly landing pages.
  • We index only snippets of forum posts (never the full post).
  • We display the full text of original posts, and of specific posts that talk about a product (but still only index snippets).
  • We always link back to the forum so you get traffic and backlinks.
  • Visitors can ask questions about products, which we post to the forum.
  • We never sell or share any forum or user data.
2. How are you not going to take away my traffic?
  • We optimize SEO for products and themes, not for individual threads or posts.
  • Over half of end user clicks on Primary go back to the forum.
3. How will I earn money I'm not already earning now?
  • We target search traffic that currently goes to low-quality product-related sites.
  • We earn money through affiliate links, and pay out your share through PayPal.
  • We also offer two tools to help you monetize your site:
    • Primary Explorer is a forum widget that shows products relevant to a thread. It lets you earn additional revenue and engage drive-by visitors. You control what it looks like, where it appears, and who sees it. For instance, you can choose to show it to only logged-out visitors.
    • Threadloom Newsletter has a new feature that automatically inserts products.
Here's what these tools look like:
Preview - Explorer.png

Preview - NL.png

We’ve been testing Primary with several forums, including TalkBass, Tesla Motors Club, and WDWMAGIC. Below are some numbers from TalkBass:
  • CTR on inserted products (1-2 per issue): 12%
  • # of sessions referred from Primary to TalkBass: 898
    • Session duration: 5m 35s
    • Pages per session: 4.12
    • Bounce rate: 33%
  • Purchase conversion rate for clicks from Primary to Amazon: 9%
We're excited about Primary, but recognize that it's not for everyone. For instance, it's probably not a good fit for forums that don't have many product discussions. So we're working on making it easier for forum members to talk about products.

One example is a new feature called Ask Primary. When a visitor to Primary asks a product-related question, we check if it’s already been answered by an existing forum thread. If it has, we send the visitor directly to the relevant forum post. If it hasn’t, we find the appropriate category, post it for them, and help them keep track of replies. In our early tests, each question from Ask Primary generated an average of seven new forum posts.

Another example is a feature we launched recently called Primary Login. We shared some results in this blog post. It’s a simple plug-in that lets anyone register and securely log in to your forum (or Primary) without a password. Next year, we plan to connect Ask Primary and Primary Login to make it easier for visitors to ask questions and register with forums.

That’s it for now. We'll be publishing more details to our blog soon. In the meantime, if you're interested in joining our beta, or have questions, feel free to DM TLChris or me.

Paul

• Admin
  • Admin

Paul

Administrator
Some updates:

1. We've been experimenting with the Primary Explorer UI.

Old:
CleanShot 2021-06-25 at 18.37.14@2x.png

New:
CleanShot 2021-07-02 at 15.10.47@2x.png

2. We launched a Primary plug-in for XF2, and a version for XF1 is coming soon via TLChris. It includes an option for the forum to load a hosted product page on the forum, for any product click inside of Explorer, in order to keep more clicks on the forum.

3. We now load your affiliate IDs directly onto products. No rev share, so you keep 100% of affiliate revenue. The only thing we require in exchange is attribution on the home page. We currently support Amazon (all locales), eBay, Reverb, Skimlinks, Sovrn (Viglink), and Sweetwater. Let us know if you want us to add another program.

4. We no longer show full text of posts on Primary, just snippets.

5. We launched an experimental product search engine: https://blog.threadloom.com/2021/07/01/announcing-primary-search/. Results currently only include posts that have product links in them, but we're working to include posts without any links in them.

6. We're working on a Chrome extension powered by the search engine. Idea is for someone shopping on a retail site to be able to easily preview forum posts about that product. More soon.

I think those or the main points for now. Feel free to reply with any questions or comments. Thanks.

R0binHood

Habitué
The plugin is interesting. Might be worth having a toast appear on the page, or a change to the icon to indicate there's social content associated with the current URL that has been found by Primary. Not sure I'd think to always go up and click on the icon otherwise, especially considering as I have so many plugin icons up there already.

Edit: Looking at the video again. It looks like Honey might be adding their own toast on the video? I've never used Honey, but that's kind of what I was thinking.

• Admin

Paul

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. In the latest version, the icon stays gray until we find comments, then it lights up and includes a number up to 99+ (for the # of comments). But yeah, that doesn't help if the shopper hasn't pinned the extension (which I don't expect many to do until they've gotten familar with it). We're working on an overlay that appears when we find comments, that the shopper can click on to pop up the modal. It's a little tricky but I think we're close.

R0binHood

Habitué
Yeah, icon change might be okay. But looking at my plugin icon tray, honestly I don't think a change up there would attract my attention unless I specifically looked to check for it.

I've got too much stuff going on up there, and loads of icons already fighting with their own numbers and colours

1627415493321.png

I think an overlay/toast within the window dom would probably be best. Might be a little intrusive to some, but probably best by default (especially if it's just a toast that fades away or is persistent but easily dismissible). I think if you're interested enough to install the plugin, it's fair enough to get a more intrusive notification by default, but easily configurable in the settings to just plugin icon if you have very few and are happy with keeping an eye on plugin icons for changes on web pages.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Completely off-topic but I nearly fell of my chair when I saw the asking price for an original Klon KTR Overdrive Pedal. I've had two sitting largely unused in my studio since the 90's but not anymore. I'm now $3,500 richer. This thread really delivers!

Paul

Administrator
Yeah, icon change might be okay. But looking at my plugin icon tray, honestly I don't think a change up there would attract my attention unless I specifically looked to check for it.

I've got too much stuff going on up there, and loads of icons already fighting with their own numbers and colours

View attachment 55366

I think an overlay/toast within the window dom would probably be best. Might be a little intrusive to some, but probably best by default (especially if it's just a toast that fades away or is persistent but easily dismissible). I think if you're interested enough to install the plugin, it's fair enough to get a more intrusive notification by default, but easily configurable in the settings to just plugin icon if you have very few and are happy with keeping an eye on plugin icons for changes on web pages.
Yeah, I agree. Here's what we're aiming for to auto-trigger (just 1 of them – the mock shows that you can move it if you hover). Then, clicking on the overlay would bring up the extension modal. Unlike Honey, we just have one modal type (showing relevant comments). WDYT?
Minimized State.png

R0binHood

Habitué
Looks good.

Might be worth having a setting so users can choose where to locate it, kind of like Ghostery does

1627470495552.png

ghostery.gif