Price hike, no more ticket support - enough signals from Invision

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Its funny, whenever we get these long wails about how no one ever uses the forum profile, I ask what he thinks forums should do, and only get silence. It’s moaning for the sake of moaning.

In any case, when I’m on a forum, I’m not looking at my profile because that’s not what I’m there for, I‘m there to see the content and engage with it. On Facebook I’m there to see other peoples’ content, not look at my own.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Ditto. And they don't harvest the crap out of you like social media does.

As per cloud vs self hosting, the big boys (corporations) will go the cloud route so everything is handled in one swoop. And self hosting as someone else posted for the small peons that just have hobby sites or whatever. This is true for many things.

Pete

What if it’s a forum about YouTuber Davie504?

Slap, checkmate.

(Apologies if this one is too obscure.)

FTL

Enthusiast
What about a forum about a forum about a forum? (Repeat as necessary)

FTL

Enthusiast
TAZ is not yet big enough to have its own groupies' forums.
I was thinking more along the lines of recursively auto generating nested forums until the server exploded. 😛

Pete

Eh, nesting forums is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

FTL

Enthusiast
Eh, nesting forums is cheap in the grand scheme of things.
Look, I'm only making a joke post with my suggestion. However, if someone were to do it for real, then the code would be trying to create an infinite amount of nested forums, so the server would 100% run out of resources at some point. A bigger server would obviously be able to go a lot deeper before it ran out of road, but it certainly will.

Pete

Nah, it's more that you could go so much more interesting :p You could automate creating a forum about each forum - building nested boards in a site only gets you a few billion of them. But automating forums about forums, as in each site gets a groupie site? You could take over all of AWS that way. Until the credit card ran out, anyway...

• Haha
Reactions: FTL

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
Some of that "joking" is far from humorous, as some denial of service attacks are based on exactly those ideas some of you are posting. There may be a few folks that don't find that to be too funny.

Sorry for injecting the non-funny sort of thinking into the thread.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
What have I accomplished? My page has had a significant influence on city politics and citizen and local govt engagement. In fact most of the topics my page have brought up (which has included local city corruption), were recently put into the current election public forum for all candidates to answer. My page has had a strong influence on the current city election. Asd well as the call for local transparency and accountability by the community. Amongst other things. I run the page alone.
I, for one, am happy it's working out for you.

The rest of what you're saying means nothing to me. I run forums because I like running forums. I'm not interested in affecting political change and I don't much care if I have 1000 members or 100,000. If I didn't like forums, I'd be doing something else. I get that you've found your piece of heaven on facebook, but no amount of proselytizing is going to make me change my interests.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Personally... I've found that FB is a NIGHTMARE if a post has 500-600 comments. You get a notification of a reply, you click on that notification and it simply takes you (usually) to the main post. Every now and then you may get lucky and it actually take you to the reply itself. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to scroll through 500-600 comments that I'm not really interested in just to find the one reply.