Price hike, no more ticket support - enough signals from Invision

Walter

Aspirant
The announcement of a price hike combined with no more ticket support is reason enough for me to reconsider my strategy.

I rarely need ticket support, I usually solve the problems myself. But having no ticket support for a software is simply a no-go for me. And having a newsletter that tries to sell a drastically price hike from $50 to $80 as "increase of $2.50/month" is more cynicism than I need from a provider. If I need cynicism or sales speech I will do that myself.

I worked for more than 20 years as a developer, team leader and divisional head in the software industry and I think I have a sixth sense for software companies and how they work and think internally. In the last year I have got too many bad signals from Invision: maybe in the future cloud only? Zapier not until protests? Price hike. No more ticket support.

I'm in the process of converting a bunch of Xenforo and Wordpress sites to Invision and today I've halted the process. Final decision how to proceed until end of the year. Of course, no big problem for Invision.

John H20

Aspirant
The announcement of a price hike combined with no more ticket support is reason enough for me to reconsider my strategy.

I rarely need ticket support, I usually solve the problems myself. But having no ticket support for a software is simply a no-go for me. And having a newsletter that tries to sell a drastically price hike from $50 to $80 as "increase of $2.50/month" is more cynicism than I need from a provider. If I need cynicism or sales speech I will do that myself.

I worked for more than 20 years as a developer, team leader and divisional head in the software industry and I think I have a sixth sense for software companies and how they work and think internally. In the last year I have got too many bad signals from Invision: maybe in the future cloud only? Zapier not until protests? Price hike. No more ticket support.

I'm in the process of converting a bunch of Xenforo and Wordpress sites to Invision and today I've halted the process. Final decision how to proceed until end of the year. Of course, no big problem for Invision.
I was leaning in the direction of Invision instead of XF myself, but I just got an email alert about your post here. I too have always hate, hate, hate, haaaaaaaaaaaaaated when companies eliminate ticket support. So what kind of support do they have left anyway?

I worked in IT too, though not at your level. However, your other comments resonate. Unfortunately, though, I'm extremely ambivalent about XF too. I don't have to decide anytime soon though, since I've just been putting off the whole forum/community thing indefinitely while focusing on other pursuits.

John H20

Aspirant
Wow, only 30 days of ticket support with a licence with a 3 day response time, otherwise it’s $1250 per year?! 😳

View attachment 55410

View attachment 55411
Wow. Thanks for sharing that. You know what? A long time ago, like months, I had a hunch about Invision too, just like Walter here. My hunch was about this whole business of "money, money, money, money - money!" as the song goes. I think you get my drift. Walter's words definitely resonate with me, and I'm someone who's been around the block more times than many would guess.

Speaking of this business of eliminating ticket support and a sign of things to come, anyone have experience with HostGator both while it was great and then when it became a horrible nightmare? HostGator was just so great, I could have stayed with them my whole life. But over time and after they were bought out they became this hideous monster. The first really big bombshell was when they eliminated ticket support. What a niiiiiiiiiiiiightmare that was.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Wow, that’s quite the price rise. Prior to this my full site renewal was $210 annually, though IIRC it had been that price for a while so inflation probably a part here. But ooof.

AlexTheBat

Aspirant
.... This seems.... excessive. o_O

While I personally have always considered invision too expensive for my own budget, I'll admit it was priced fairly(ish) for its features. But that - not even a little bit! $1,250 for basic support access?? They could have at least split things into multiple levels, and charged more the faster you want a response. But no support at all? That hardly seems fair when they want a renewal fee every six months - do they even update that often?

haqzore

Devotee
Hello!

I’m writing to you to let you know about a few changes to your Invision Community license.

Don’t worry, it’s not bad news, but there is a price increase, so let’s get that out of the way first and then get onto the good stuff.

We’re switching to annual renewals with a modest price increase. The new renewal cost changes are as follows (per year):

• Forums: was $50, now $80 (increase of $2.50/month)
  • Blogs: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Gallery: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Downloads: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Pages: was $30, now $45 (increase of $1.25/month)
  • Commerce: was $70, now $95 (increase of $2.08/month)
I realise that price rises are never fun, but it’s worth remembering that the renewal prices haven’t increased since we launched that pricing model for self-hosting licenses over a decade ago.

We feel that Invision Community offers exceptional value for money with its rich functionality and power at your fingertips. Our licenses are not tied to major versions which means whenever we release new features, you get them without any additional cost; it’s all covered with your renewals. The last few major versions have added significant new functionality including a complete gamification system, anonymous posting, Zapier integration and more.

We have switched to an annual renewal to simplify billing and bring it more in line with industry standards.

The other change is in how you get support.

We believe in the power of community. It’s what we do, after all. We have helped thousands of communities create thriving support areas where customers get fast help, with the added bonus of a living knowledge base to search for answers before even needing to ask.

While we have had our own support areas in the past, these have been peer-led and unsupported.

We want to change this and make our own community a stronger hub for support and advice.

For most customers, support is simply “how do I do this?” and these questions tend to be quite similar. Rarely, support questions are “this went wrong”, and we usually get our developers to look.

With that in mind, we’re keen to invest in our community support by asking that your first point of contact for support as an active license holder be in our new support area on our forums. Our team manages these forums, so you will see familiar faces replying to each topic. In addition, you may find other experienced customers who will offer advice.

Creating a strong support community backed by our support technicians will result in a more detailed and richer set of answers. Please don’t worry, our support team can still convert the topic into a support ticket for our developers if something needs investigating.

We know old habits die hard, so even though we will encourage you to use the new monitored support forums, you will retain email ticket support until 1st January 2022 or when your license expires, whichever occurs later, so you have time to settle into the new way of working.

For those that wish to retain ticket support longer term, we will be unveiling a premium support option soon.

Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you on the forums!

All the best,

Invision Community

haqzore

Devotee
It is alarming, but not enough to make me leave IPS for the 1 site I have on it.

Price hike doesn't really concern me.

I'll reserve judgment on the new forum support until I see how it goes.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
What is so ironic is for most of the time I was a participant over there, the official IPS reply in the forums for assistance was "Submit a ticket".
They refused to provide ANY assistance in the forum itself, and rarely were the other holders of IPS licenses able to provide any assistance as most of them were simply forum owners and not administrators.

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
Hello!

I’m writing to you to let you know about a few changes to your Invision Community license.

Don’t worry, it’s not bad news, but there is a price increase, so let’s get that out of the way first and then get onto the good stuff.

We’re switching to annual renewals with a modest price increase. The new renewal cost changes are as follows (per year):

• Forums: was $50, now $80 (increase of $2.50/month)
  • Blogs: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Gallery: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Downloads: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Pages: was $30, now $45 (increase of $1.25/month)
  • Commerce: was $70, now $95 (increase of $2.08/month)
I realise that price rises are never fun, but it’s worth remembering that the renewal prices haven’t increased since we launched that pricing model for self-hosting licenses over a decade ago.

We feel that Invision Community offers exceptional value for money with its rich functionality and power at your fingertips. Our licenses are not tied to major versions which means whenever we release new features, you get them without any additional cost; it’s all covered with your renewals. The last few major versions have added significant new functionality including a complete gamification system, anonymous posting, Zapier integration and more.

We have switched to an annual renewal to simplify billing and bring it more in line with industry standards.

The other change is in how you get support.

We believe in the power of community. It’s what we do, after all. We have helped thousands of communities create thriving support areas where customers get fast help, with the added bonus of a living knowledge base to search for answers before even needing to ask.

While we have had our own support areas in the past, these have been peer-led and unsupported.

We want to change this and make our own community a stronger hub for support and advice.

For most customers, support is simply “how do I do this?” and these questions tend to be quite similar. Rarely, support questions are “this went wrong”, and we usually get our developers to look.

With that in mind, we’re keen to invest in our community support by asking that your first point of contact for support as an active license holder be in our new support area on our forums. Our team manages these forums, so you will see familiar faces replying to each topic. In addition, you may find other experienced customers who will offer advice.

Creating a strong support community backed by our support technicians will result in a more detailed and richer set of answers. Please don’t worry, our support team can still convert the topic into a support ticket for our developers if something needs investigating.

We know old habits die hard, so even though we will encourage you to use the new monitored support forums, you will retain email ticket support until 1st January 2022 or when your license expires, whichever occurs later, so you have time to settle into the new way of working.

For those that wish to retain ticket support longer term, we will be unveiling a premium support option soon.

Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you on the forums!

All the best,

Invision Community
Thanks for posting this, it's a game changer for us.

haqzore

Devotee
The price increase doesn't bother me personally.

IPS has commented repeatedly, even right here on TAZ, that they aren't in a race to be the cheapest. They've never pretended to be either.

It does get a bit repetitive to see the same sentiment about IPS pricing over and over and over again with no substantive discussion behind it.

As an IPS customer, do I WANT to pay more? Of course not. But there's almost nothing I pay the same for today that I did over 10 years ago. Such is the case with this IPS increase.

Inevitably, people bring up XF pricing. See above comment about IPS not trying to be the cheapest. Anyone who has used IPS and XF knows they aren't an apples to apples comparison. There's little rationale for expecting them to cost the same. Burning Board costs even less than XF, and is great, solid software! But for some reason people don't decry XF pricing while pointing to WBB...

Whether the IPS cost is worth it is different for everyone. The good news for all is there are solid choices in the forum script world starting at $0.

I just don't think it advances the conversation much when people immediately pounce on the IPS costs with little substantive discussion about why it should cost different. XF being cheaper is a case for XF. It's not a case against IPS. They aren't the same.

All my opinion of course. Not sure what I'm trying to accomplish here. Just feels like another repeat of every other conversation about IPS pricing. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

haqzore

Devotee
What is so ironic is for most of the time I was a participant over there, the official IPS reply in the forums for assistance was "Submit a ticket".
They refused to provide ANY assistance in the forum itself, and rarely were the other holders of IPS licenses able to provide any assistance as most of them were simply forum owners and not administrators.
Yes. When their strategy was different.

Now their strategy is official staff support via forums.

Let's give it a chance & see how it goes.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I am mildly intrigued that I have not yet had such an email after my sub lapsed last month (with no immediate need to renew) but that would make me think twice about renewing for sure because like many other hobbyists I didn’t renew every six months but only when it made sense, meaning that it wasn’t actually $210 but $105 every so often, much more palatable. But now it’s $310 either way.

I get it, their target market is not the hobbyist market, but I could see how this would be a deal breaker for some hobbyists.

haqzore

Devotee
I am mildly intrigued that I have not yet had such an email after my sub lapsed last month (with no immediate need to renew) but that would make me think twice about renewing for sure because like many other hobbyists I didn’t renew every six months but only when it made sense, meaning that it wasn’t actually $210 but $105 every so often, much more palatable. But now it’s $310 either way.

I get it, their target market is not the hobbyist market, but I could see how this would be a deal breaker for some hobbyists.
Agree with this.

The historic norm (played out repeatedly here on TAZ) were the false cries that 6 mo renewals were a money grab. Truth is we got flexibility with a 50% price and 50% duration renewal.

We've lost that flexibility with 12 mo renewals, but it is certainly more in line with industry standards.

KimmiKat

Adherent
One of the boards I'm on put a notice they were changing forum software. They're kicking Invision right to the kerb.

haqzore

Devotee
One of the boards I'm on put a notice they were changing forum software. They're kicking Invision right to the kerb.
Did they share why?

Admins don't think the quality of the software is worth the price increase?

Admins heavily leverage ticket support and don't want to pay a sizeable price for it?

Admins already planned to leave and these changes were the last push needed?

Etc...

Just genuinely curious.

KimmiKat

Adherent
They been considering firing Invision for some time. This pushed it over. One of the co-owners have an unused XF licence and will migrate to that.

Did they share why?

Admins heavily leverage ticket support and don't want to pay a sizeable price for it?

Etc...

Just genuinely curious.

Zaquria

Aspirant
Did they share why?

Etc...

Just genuinely curious.

Are you a member of Invision Community?

We are changing forum software, because next Jan we will be expected to pay 48% more on our subscription to them. My subscription cost will go from $140 to $220 a year and that is not a small amount.

Also, all the changes to the market place was another factor. Having to wait up to 30 days to get a application/plugin approved is beyond ridiculous. A lot of the other developers I have spoken with are going to be moving away as well (One of them has over 200 applications and plugins).