Premium Membership

interista

Aspirant
Dear community,
I was thinking to add a "premium membership" to my forum and market it as donation.
However, I wanted to know how it's working for the admins who have it already in place.

- how much per year do you charge?
- what feature do you offer with it? (More private messages space, less advertising....)

Thanks

Nabix

Well the first question would be, do you have content worth paying a subscription for?

interista

Aspirant
Well the first question would be, do you have content worth paying a subscription for?
Well I got a good number of active users.
Not planning to add a content section available for paying members only to answer your question

tony45

Enthusiast
So, why would someone pay you?
What value areyou creating them? what problem are you solving?

interista

Aspirant
So, why would someone pay you?
What value areyou creating them? what problem are you solving?
I wanna market it as a “donation”

anyway I opened this thread to know how orhers manage their premium memberships

Nabix

I'm not asking you to configure parts of your website to satisfy my question. I simply ask that question because what you are trying to do is called a 'paywall'. In which you have organically (hopefully) generated content where the end-user is willing to pay (or donate) money to gain access.

tony45 and I are simply saying its best to have good, quality content, where users are willing to pay/donate to support.

I have a blog where I write about ufos, conspiracies, true crimes, etc. I use Medium and my own blog. Medium is 'pay walled', so is my blog. But, I also post free articles weekly alongside my paid ones to draw interest.

In your case I would add a donation button/link on your board (maybe with a progress bar) and ask for donations to help keep the site running. Another way would be ads. Although they don generate as much.

interista

Aspirant
Thank you for your feedback
I am interested to know how others managed their premium memberships

Ingenious

Fan
I think "premium membership" implies you get something in return, but you are saying it's just a donation. The two things are different.

I have a donation facility on my forum and members get a "supporters" badge under their profile. It's voluntary and no content or service is offered in return. it works well and generates meaningful revenue. However I would never market it as a "premium membership".

You could set a token amount, $10, $20 etc and see how it goes.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Some mboards have like an extra sub-forum that's accessible to premies. This board does although at the time I was a premie here it didn't get much action. Some other boards might give extra spaces to hold your PMs or rank name. If it's only a donation, call it "Supporter" like I've seen on other sites.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
- how much per year do you charge?
- what feature do you offer with it? (More private messages space, less advertising....)

$40 a year
More private messages space, less advertising, ability to send photos in PMs
A few extra forums

BushcraftUSA

Neophyte
We do a donation, but we add access to a more rule-flexible Supporter forum, Supporter banner, and no ads. We also have a banner-only "Friend" option for $5/year, with no other benefits. Both are purchased by members just to support the forums.

avb3

Aspirant
You need to be sure you have enough content and engagement. I admined a large forum (185,000 members, typically 2-3000 on line at anyone time), and we charged $15 for supporters. That meant they did not see ads, and got a banner for their avatar. We had about 500 or so at that level. It helped with costs.

RisingSun

Aspirant
We run a small 4x4 forum for a local club. Our membership is annual club dues. In non-pandemic times, we have monthly, in-person meetings. If you're a member of the club, we give you a membership title on the forum and access to a members-only forum section. There is no membership available for the forum only although it's something we should probably consider.

The large 4x4 forum version of ours is ih8mud. They have member levels that you can purchase to show your support. There are some benefits, but I think the main thing is that people like to show their support for the forum where they have learned so much, made friends, etc. I think this is the ideal scenario -- people opt to pay money because they have received so much value from the forum, rather than paying money to get access to additional benefits or hidden content. In other words, if your forum is awesome, people will pay some money to publicly show their support.

KimmiKat

Adherent
When I had my mboard, I had a premie option would gave them a secret sub-forum. Last time I was a premie on any mboard, just a month before it was to expire, the board got bought by a company that owns many other boards. Didn't care for that as the board was no longer independent.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
You need to be sure you have enough content and engagement. I admined a large forum (185,000 members, typically 2-3000 on line at anyone time), and we charged $15 for supporters. That meant they did not see ads, and got a banner for their avatar. We had about 500 or so at that level. It helped with costs.
Is it $15 a month, a year, forever?