"Premium Membership with reduced ads"

Philpug

Participant
Who is doing this as an option for readers? Did the subscription method at least equal what you might have lost in ad revenue from Adsense or whatever you are using? What do you offer this at, and are there other perks that you include? Is the community happier?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I do, and yes I include other perks. Like more private conversation storage, ability to upload photos to conversations, etc.

How much you can earn depends on the particular community. How much you charge, how active the site is with members, etc.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
I think basing it around reduced ads alone won't work because if someone doesn't want ads they can just use browser extensions to remove them. You'll probably want other perks and maybe some perks that are visible (name color, badge, etc) so they can show off to the community and be proud of helping out. Plus that encourages others to help.

ripptech

Professional Lurker
I do this, it works fairly well, atm have 33 upgraded users at $25/yr, so thats $825 (minus paypal/stripe fees ofc) annually that those same users and their associated pageviews/ad views simply would not have covered. They see almost no ads (except site sponsor banners), get to change their user title, and a few other perks (I send them some stickers when they upgrade/renew) and everyone's happy. I think you need a fair amount of highly engaged users for this to really work, nobody's going to do it, at least for the ad reduction, unless they're visiting all the time. Or they just want to make a contribution.

rhody401

Aspirant
We have banner sponsors (self service for approved vendors, who are assigned a special usergroup), via Siropu Ads Manager on my Xenforo forums. They support 90% of the expenses, and the banners are rotated equally.

If someone wants to donate, we do use the upgrade system built in to Xenforo. We give them a longer time to edit their posts, and put them in a special usergroup. The usergroup assigns a special banner on their posts, identifying them as a "Forum Sponsor". That's about all we do, and the sponsor banner gives them some prestige as a thank you gift. Most donate because they want to help out, not for the id.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Back when I did this, I'd put so many features as premium that it didn't just overwhelm the potential premium member but it overwhelm me and my responsibilities, lol.

Now I work in QA and I've learned the importance of Quality over Quantity. I think that should be applied to this particular topic.

What quality features can you offer a paid member rather than the amount of premium features?

I'm working on this myself using a hosted premium site call Patreon for my YouTube brand. I'm focusing on Patreon-Only features such as a premium video each month, a premium article each month, a premium-only sticker and autograph as a one-time deal and mentioning premium members in my video description. So far it works and it isn't super overwhelming to accomplish!

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
Back when I did this, I'd put so many features as premium that it didn't just overwhelm the potential premium member but it overwhelm me and my responsibilities, lol.

Now I work in QA and I've learned the importance of Quality over Quantity. I think that should be applied to this particular topic.

What quality features can you offer a paid member rather than the amount of premium features?

I'm working on this myself using a hosted premium site call Patreon for my YouTube brand. I'm focusing on Patreon-Only features such as a premium video each month, a premium article each month, a premium-only sticker and autograph as a one-time deal and mentioning premium members in my video description. So far it works and it isn't super overwhelming to accomplish!
What were some of the premium features that members didn't care about and what were some that were too difficult for you to keep up with?