Posting links to Youtube Videos - Bandwidth

DigNap15

Adherent
Hello
We are having a big argument on my forum about oosting links to Youtube Videos.
Do they take up valuable storage space and bandwith or Rescources etc?

A lot of my members like to post Youytube links of their favourite videos or to make a point etc.
If they copy and paste the Youtube url into the forum post does that use much rescources.
My guess is that it does not.
But some of members worry that it must be using a lot.
Can someone give us a good technical anser?

ehd

Aspirant
The videos are embedded in your forum. Data ist being serveed from Youtube. So no traffic for you nor any storage-capacities used.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Videos embedded from Youtube do not autoplay.
Only viewers that decide to watch them consume their own bandwidth allocation.
Youtube itself doesnt pay for its own bandwidth as that data is served directly from google's internal network and routed to regional datacenters. Unless videos are embedded from someone's own webspace, video providers like youtube/vimeo/netflix/twitch usually dont meter their usage.

Not sure why that's even source of conflict. Maybe because responding with videos forces people to watch them and abstracts the argument to be had from posting them in the first place. If you knew the videos illustrated the point you wanted to make, why not type it directly in your own words?

There was this 90 minute youtube video I wanted to answer your question with but forgot to post. Watch all of it and you'll know the relevant part

DigNap15

Adherent
Not sure why that's even source of conflict. Maybe because responding with videos forces people to watch them and abstracts the argument to be had from posting them in the first place. If you knew the videos illustrated the point you wanted to make, why not type it directly in your own words?

There was this 90 minute youtube video I wanted to answer your question with but forgot to post. Watch all of it and you'll know the relevant part
Thanks for that.
Sometimes people put up a Youtube video to make a point or a joke.

But my members were arguing as to whether such Youtube Videos consume my hard drve space on the server or bandwith, as they all know it costs me money to run my forum.
And some think that by banning Youtube videos I could save a lot of web hosting costs

we_are_borg

Administrator
They only thing that takes space is the characters people type as link and text rest is served fro YT.

Ingenious

Fan
And some think that by banning Youtube videos I could save a lot of web hosting costs
Luckily that's complete rubbish, for the reasons stated above :)

Users posting stuff they find on YouTube, Facebook etc. is critical to keeping threads active and users engaged, so you should be encouraging it.