Posting Etiquette

Zero Numbers

Adherent
One forum I'm a part of wants users to capitalize every first letter of a word for their thread title when they make a thread. That's how the owner wants it. I guess I see why. Because it looks better?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I’m Not Sure It Looks Better, In Subjects Or Otherwise.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
One forum I'm a part of wants users to capitalize every first letter of a word for their thread title when they make a thread. That's how the owner wants it. I guess I see why. Because it looks better?
Wishful thinking is fine. Best he could do is a technical auto-capitalization and ask his staff to do it to their own threads and featured content.
That said, theres no way to force people abiding by arbitrary rules that oppressive that have never been voted in place by consensus of those 'governed'. A community can move together to a different/new website and purge itself of the structural weakness that is that webmaster.

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
I believe I have made mention of what I think seems to be a decline by some Net Citizens of skills in basic grammar and such, BUT when we start to see the following on a professional site like the BBC, well - - - what the heck is going on? (Both articles presently headlined on the BBC landing page.)

Basic grammar error within:
Shock result in particle experiment could spark physics revolution
EDIT: This one has been fixed by somebody at BBC. But I have the screen grab.

Vocabulary usage within:
Israel: Two killed, several wounded in Tel Aviv shooting

Both rather significant articles in their own right, but the poor proofreading makes me wonder about whether the human is trying to go too fast on the Net and simply can't do it and so we see more errors.

Or you folks in the UK need better teachers.

So it isn't just on/in our Online Communities we should be doing some checking and such.

Last edited:

FTL

Adherent
I believe I have made mention of what I think seems to be a decline by some Net Citizens of skills in basic grammar and such, BUT when we start to see the following on a professional site like the BBC, well - - - what the heck is going on? (Both articles presently headlined on the BBC landing page.)

Basic grammar error within:
Shock result in particle experiment could spark physics revolution

Vocabulary usage within:
Israel: Two killed, several wounded in Tel Aviv shooting

Both rather significant articles in their own right, but the poor proofreading makes me wonder about whether the human is trying to go too fast on the Net and simply can't do it and so we see more errors.

Or you folks in the UK need better teachers.

So it isn't just on/in our Online Communities we should be doing some checking and such.
Agreed, I hate bad spelling and grammar too. It's so prevalent on forums though. Thankfully, the members on this one are somewhat better with this compared to others. They're friendlier as well.

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
My goodness, I had a mighty rough time doing an edit of that second link. Had something wrong and page couldn't be found was the original result in my post above.

And the truth is it is the second article that has a mistake that is quite the horrid of the two:

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett is reportedly being debriefed at the military headquarters in Tel Aviv, about 1km (0.6 miles) from Dizengoff Street.

That error implies the Prime Minister was in some manner involved in the shooting.

I think the Israeli government will be after the BBC folks very soon about that one. I hope so, anyway.

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
Well, as I am responsible for pointing the finger at BBC and that now some Community members here may go to that site and they won't see the sentence I quoted above - - - the article has been completely rewritten. I suppose I wasn't aware the BBC, or any news agency, would use the same link for a an article that was totally rewritten.

It still doesn't excuse the fact that a professional organization, such as the BBC, would make such a very careless mistake.

Actually, I have been very surprised by certain activities at the BBC over the past few years, but that should be another topic/thread.

Okay, update finished.

DigNap15

Fan
I ask my new threadposters to not use caps (only one word)
I dont allow swear words
But don't enforce spelling or garmmar, as today so many people are bad at it.
(me I'm always in a hurry)

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
One forum I'm a part of wants users to capitalize every first letter of a word for their thread title when they make a thread.
I had a couple of members complain about capitalization in thread titles. So I switched all of them to title case. Then they started to pick at particular instances where it didn't fit. I suggested they get over it. (Be careful what you ask for.)

I don't have a rule about spelling and grammar. I do suggest they take time writing posts and reading them over before submitting, to help avoid confusion and miscommunication. Most members seem to take it to heart.

I've never had an instance of anyone attacking another's grammar or spelling (we do have a number of Francophones who sometimes get verb-noun order wrong). However, I did have one member who was moved to comment on his personal outrage with a particular Americanism (the use of "ran" in place of "have run"). It was a funny post and he didn't have any ill intent. It also generated a few other comments on people's own grammar rages, which all enjoyed.

FTL

Adherent
I had a couple of members complain about capitalization in thread titles. So I switched all of them to title case. Then they started to pick at particular instances where it didn't fit. I suggested they get over it. (Be careful what you ask for.)

I don't have a rule about spelling and grammar. I do suggest they take time writing posts and reading them over before submitting, to help avoid confusion and miscommunication. Most members seem to take it to heart.

I've never had an instance of anyone attacking another's grammar or spelling (we do have a number of Francophones who sometimes get verb-noun order wrong). However, I did have one member who was moved to comment on his personal outrage with a particular Americanism (the use of "ran" in place of "have run"). It was a funny post and he didn't have any ill intent. It also generated a few other comments on people's own grammar rages, which all enjoyed.
I have some general rules about doing one's best with spelling and grammar on my forum, but I won't tolerate anyone bullying someone over it. What if they're dyslexic or similar, or have simply had a poor education. Totally unfair to pick on them for it.

Also, being the forum owner, I have rights (not mere privileges) to everything, which is fantastic. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and some typos can irk quite a bit, so I quietly edit the post for spelling, suppressing the post edited message. I leave everything else as it is. I've never had anyone come back to me about this. Everyone's a winner! :)

Mesca

Aspirant
Does your forum enforce or prefer posting etiquette, such as using proper grammar and spelling at the least?

For me, one thing that shouts possible spam is run-on sentences and poor spelling.
Nobody ain't got time for that (reading the guidelines).
But we use some suggestions in message box and title box that disappear on click.
For example "Please say "Hi", "thanks" and "have a nice day". You don't talk to robots and you will get more answers if being polite".

Mesca

Aspirant
I run an automotive forum and in the car repair part, the users were complaining that the new users or guests didn't give the brand and model of the vehicle.
So using on our old solution, we developped something helpful.
1/ when the user hit the "create a topic", we asked "what kind of topic ?"
a/ presentation of your vehicle
b/ car maintenance / repair
c/ etc

In the case he hit "b", we asked him to select the brand and model in a list, and the title was beginning for example with "Renault Clio :"
and it was automatically posted in the car repair category and in the correct subcategory (Renault)

Now we can't do that on IPB, but we use a tooltip appearing when you hit "create a topic" in the title box "Please mention the brand and model if you want to get answers".
If you speak French, I'm not sure of the english term, it is "infobulle" in French.
This tooltip is only in the car repair category.

And I must confess since we did that, there are more topics with the brand and model.

Mesca

Aspirant
An admin or mod can figure that one out rather easily by the IP address, if they have any concerns in such a matter
You can not know if a member is :
- dyslexic
- very young
- an english or american resident who is not native

And I mentionned the car repair category on our forum. Most of our most helpful users are not very well educated, and write poorly, but their advices are the best.
So we don't enforce any rules, except "avoid SMS typing and abbreviations".
And I must say, I had to ban users that were mocking users with bad spellings.

Mesca

Aspirant
Firstly, I've seen many forums that have auto correction of bad spelling, and the software here does that.
No it doesn't, it is your web browser that does it. As a French speaker, my web browser tells me that all the words are wrong ^^

The person who was admin before me did a lot of functionnality developpements to avoid bad spelling.
1/ You wouldn't be allowed to post if the forum considered that you were bad spelling.
If you type a short brand or model of vehicle like "DS" or "A4" (audi), you weren't allowed to post.
2/ users who were considered bad spellers weren't allowed to use certains functionnality (like image posting).

What did the users ?
If the system told them there was too much errors :
- they left without posting or copied / pasted correct texts from other sites that were not the same topic at all, just to have the possibility to post.
- the bad spellers who had the ability to solve many car problems but weren't well educated just left for another forum.

I think we should try to include everyone, even those who have difficulties and not pinpoints their weaknesses. Trust me, when you are a bad speller, or have a poor grammar, you know it. No need to have somebody put the shame on you.

Last edited:
My goodness, I had a mighty rough time doing an edit of that second link. Had something wrong and page couldn't be found was the original result in my post above.

And the truth is it is the second article that has a mistake that is quite the horrid of the two:

That error implies the Prime Minister was in some manner involved in the shooting.

I think the Israeli government will be after the BBC folks very soon about that one. I hope so, anyway.
Looks to me it's more of a comprehension issue.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
So using on our old solution, we developped something helpful.
1/ when the user hit the "create a topic", we asked "what kind of topic ?"
a/ presentation of your vehicle
b/ car maintenance / repair
c/ etc
This sort of thing can really help as a reminder to users what information is needed when they post. The problem come when you try to enforce it, as you've already pointed out. In a business environment, you can insist users post content in a certain way. For a hobby forum, you'll only succeed in driving some away.