Post Your Desktop

Michael

Fan
Brad, did you get those updates installed? ;)

Biker, what flavors of Linux are you running? I'm partial to Mint and run Mint 12 with Cinnamon on three of my machines. I do have LMDE on one older machine and I dual boot a couple of them with PCLinuxOS.

Whilst all four of my machines are set up as dual boot machines, the desktops are pretty much the same on all of them. Although my Linux Mint Debian Edition machine has a Debian badge, rather than the 12 badge. It's either the straight-out-of-the-tin desktop or a picture of the apple of my eye.

View attachment 1219

View attachment 1220

The advantage to my sudden job change is I no longer need to run Windows for any reason, so I just don't use it any more.

Attachments

Biker-AdEx

Kiss my arse!
Biker, what flavors of Linux are you running? I'm partial to Mint and run Mint 12 with Cinnamon on three of my machines. I do have LMDE on one older machine and I dual boot a couple of them with PCLinuxOS.
I've tried Mint, but no matter how much I give it a try, I CAN'T FREAKIN' STAND GNOME!

I tend to stay with Slackware and Slack derivatives. My all time favorite distro has been Vector Linux for over 7 years now.

Michael

Fan
I've tried Mint, but no matter how much I give it a try, I CAN'T FREAKIN' STAND GNOME!
It's funny, because just yesterday, I was talking to one of my mods and we were both commenting on how we just cannot ever seem to get comfortable with KDE. And, speaking entirely for myself, I really cannot put a finger on why I prefer GNOME. When I first started trying to use Linux, I was using a WUBI install :rolleyes: , so I guess I just got used to GNOME. But that's the beauty of Linux - you can generally find a distro that will do exactly what you want. And it's easy to tailor a distro the way you want it.

I admit I don't much like the GNOME Shell and was pretty much dreading it. But Clem developed Cinnamon and I am loving it. Now, I'm looking forward to the LMDE updates with GNOME 3 and Cinnamon, because if it works as well as Mint 12 has been working, I'm going to run LMDE on all four machines.

If you ever care to give Mint another look, be sure to check out Mint KDE. I thought about downloading it and giving it a try, but I know I'll just find myself missing Cinnamon. :)

I tend to stay with Slackware and Slack derivatives. My all time favorite distro has been Vector Linux for over 7 years now.
I gave OpenSUSE a go, a few months back. After Hour Two of failing to get my sound card working, I went back to Mint.

@Brad - It always seems I have outstanding updates on this machine. I run Nightly versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, so I know those are going to becoming in each morning. In addition to everything else. But there's another beauty of Linux. Updates don't equate to rebooting. I did have to shut this machine down, back on 17 January, to add some RAM. But it's been running ever since, with zero reboots.

Biker-AdEx

Kiss my arse!
I tried the latest Mint two months ago. (My external drive is dedicated to Linux distros and one partition is for playing with distros that catch my eye.) Unfortunately, my notebook has an ATI x1250 in it, and there's a bug with the newer kernels and HDMI. The end result is constant spam to messages, causing the size to balloon exponentially. Adding nomodeset to the start up parameters usually kills the spam, but for some reason, it doesn't work in the latest Mint. I posted about it in the forums. Response? Crickets. Nothing but crickets.

I tried the latest Mint two months ago. (My external drive is dedicated to Linux distros and one partition is for playing with distros that catch my eye.) Unfortunately, my notebook has an ATI x1250 in it, and there's a bug with the newer kernels and HDMI. The end result is constant spam to messages, causing the size to balloon exponentially. Adding nomodeset to the start up parameters usually kills the spam, but for some reason, it doesn't work in the latest Mint. I posted about it in the forums. Response? Crickets. Nothing but crickets.
I didn't like the latest Mint either, I'm still on version 11 and using third party repos to stay up to date. Didn't like 12 at all.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the ATI GPUs. I'm stuck in the same boat kinda. The drivers I use are from AMD/ATI and they work great under my current Mint installation, but they don't have HDMI support at all and they're a getting a bit old now. I'm waiting for the open source drivers to catch up a bit and then I'll move over to them full time on this machine. My new machines will have dual-Nvidia GPUs in it though simply because the support from them towards Linux is so much better.

I'm real lazy as of late so I have not gotten a chance to look into other options. I'll most likely be going back to Gentoo or Debian when I reinstall my linux partition on this machine. For now I'm just enjoy the debate and the fact that I can still get security updates and of course not having to reboot except maybe four times a year at most.

Also, here is my windows xp partition on my laptop where I'm currently doing 90% of my video editing work. Hope to upgrade to a much batter machine for this over the summer. For now...at least I have dual-core processors running a respectable speeds and can encode in real time if I'm not encoding 720p+ video which is rare these days.

Anyway, here is my Windows desktop. Its XP but as you can tell I've but some work into make it behave more like my Linux desktop (which is a combination of Gnome 2.x, a custom dock (think OSX like dock) and plenty of other tweaks to the GUI. I was mostly trying to emulate my Linux OS desktop when I "designed" this thing. Although I've been using the start menu and everything that comes a long with it at the top of the screen going back to 1997 or so. The dock I added so I didn't have a ton of icons for starting applications from the desktop. Instead I use the "dock" which is always just a click mouse scroll/click away and I can use it without having to dig through the start menu or return to the desktop just the launch the application.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to upload the screen shot. ;) Here is is:

View attachment 1231

Attachments

Biker-AdEx

Kiss my arse!
About the only time I log into Windows is to play World of Warcraft, snag a new tune from iTunes, and plug the notebook into the widescreen TV to watch a movie or two. Aside from that, I'm always booted into Linux.

One of these days, I'll be able to afford a new notebook and do pretty much everything except movies from Linux.