Pipe Junkie, a place for brothers of the briar

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
What is the name of your forum/website?: The Pipe Stand

Description of your forum's topic?: Pipe Smokers (tobacco) discussion

What is the URL?: https://thepipestand.com

Date of launch?: 09/30/2016

What software do you use for this forum?: IPS

Additional details about your forum you might want to add: Currently using IPS Pages to provide a directory of tobacconist, pipe manufacturers (filterable based upon building custom pipes), reviews of accessories, pipes, tobacco and vendors.

Eventually I will be implementing the IPS Commerce package along with a community trading package. This will allow the users to sell any pipe related items on the site to other users. It will also allow me to sell estate pipes that I am in the process of refinishing on the site.

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I expected this site to be about something else, from the name.
Pipe smokers (tobacco) suffer (many of them) from serious cases of PAD (pipe acquisition disorder) so they are addicted to buying more and more pipes.
Addicts are referred to as junkies, ergo, Pipe Junkie. ;)

As soon as you hit the site it should be readily apparent to anyone what it is about.

logo-pipe5.png

zappaDPJ

Administrator
FYI I'm getting a warning of impending doom in Firefox which didn't occur last time I looked.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of pipejunkie.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes, surprisingly there's some pretty major competition in this niche. I hope it works out for you :tup:

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
FYI I'm getting a warning of impending doom in Firefox which didn't occur last time I looked.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of pipejunkie.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes, surprisingly there's some pretty major competition in this niche. I hope it works out for you :tup:
yeah, I'm in the process of rebranding it from Pipe Junkie (I've had several comments about that name and drugs) to The Pipe Stand... been fighting with LetsEncrypt to get the certificate issued.. and then IPS moved over to the new domain without it taking a massive poop on itself (had to restore the DB and files back to the original and make the move twice). It should be back up rebranded under The Pipe Stand now.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Arrgghh.. never forget if you change domains and use SSL to be SURE to use a stanza in your vhost containing the old SSL info for forwarding (as well as listening on port 443 for that old domain with a redirect to the new one). :banghead:

GTB

Tazmanian
That site running on IPS is pretty jerky scrolling it, and there isn't anything (much) long in length even listed on landing page.

I can't scroll up and down it smoothly at all. It jumps in jerks all the time

Micah's IPS forum was same way also for scrolling it. Don't you use that theme from same creator as the one Micah used on his IPS forum before

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
That site running on IPS is pretty jerky scrolling it, and there isn't anything (much) long in length even listed on landing page.

I can't scroll up and down it smoothly at all. It jumps in jerks all the time

Micah's IPS forum was same way also for scrolling it. Don't you use that theme from same creator as the one Micah used on his IPS forum before
Yep, and Ehren said it invariably it was a browser/computer issue on the end user aspect. Slower/older computers had some issues with it as well as did some older phones/tablets. I've made a CSS change that may help... it has to do with blurring of the background image.

Here is Ehren's statement on the issue:
The issue is actually being caused by a combination of the fixed image and blur effect. Applying the code change which you posted won't likely make a difference, since their issue was only happening in Chrome. The lag with Chameleon happens in all browsers if used on a low power device.

And from my standpoint, the same issues lay with PHP versions and mySQL versions, there reaches a point that you can no longer support older devices or browsers. Unluckily that means that some serviceable equipment will get left behind. :(

Last edited:

GTB

Tazmanian
Hmm... dunno. I do have a new graphics card used with 1gig memory (an ASUS one) only bought 3 months ago, using latest FF version here. I don't generally have this problem with any other sites it seems apart from IPS ones using his themes. I scroll IPS forum using default theme no issues with jerkiness. But noticed this has happened with both yours and Micah forum (using two different cards over time) and seems you both use themes from same creator. Maybe he should look at the themes having an issue with it.

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
As I said, it's the blur effect and fixed image.. it overloads some of the older hardware. It apparently primarily hits the mobile stuff harder. The blur effect should be deactivated on it so that should resolve it. I've been browsing with an Eee PC loaded with Ubuntu (an old Intel Atom N280 @ 1.77Ghz with 2GB RAM) and it has been scrolling fine. So, if you are still having issues, then it may be down to a latency with your ISP.
Also, if you are hitting via TOR, you may be having issues with it as I do some strict blocking and rate throttling for TOR exit nodes on the server.

GTB

Tazmanian
Not using Tor.

If you disabled it since, then it didn't work stopping the jerking for me.

It is pretty bad for me, I couldn't use your forum like it is and as for my ISP. I use one the 2 best in UK (virgin media and have a fast good broadband connection) for UK wit static cable line plugged into PC. Not running off the wireless side of router here.

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Not using Tor
yeah, but even then a lot of people use it.. I know I had someone drop me a line that they couldn't connect. Spent a while tearing my hair out trying to figure it out.. then realized they were probably using TOR. Confirmed that with them and they used other manner to connect.
I block all "offical" TOR exit nodes that are listed via their TOR DNS Exit List and MaxMinds anonymous proxies, along with a few other "baddies".

GTB

Tazmanian
You shouldn't list lots of Tor nodes to block individually. That in itself can cause site performance issues with blocking too many IP's. Depends how you're blocking Tor, but if doing it adding IP's to IPB banned IP list - that will cause site issues.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
You shouldn't list lots of Tor nodes to block individually. That in itself can cause site performance issues with blocking too many IP's. Depends how you're blocking Tor, but if doing it adding IP's to IPB banned IP list - that will cause site issues.
Uhhh... I run a dedicated server - it's done at the firewall via ipset. So, no, there is not the negative impact. In fact, by blocking it at the firewall it never even hits the HTTP server.

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.43.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.43.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.44.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.43.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 3.49.22 PM.png

Reactions: GTB

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Classifieds are now active using an add-on. I am also in the process of setting up IPS Commerce to allow the selling of estate pipes that I restore on the site.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
And the commerce package has been enabled with a few items I have for sale listed. Still have to play more with the package to fine tune it.