Pinterest

• Admin

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Has anyone here used Pinterest at all. The blurb says:-

Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes.
Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests
I don't imagine it'll attract people who aren't interested in sharing photos or images of any sort, but it does look quite nice.

Adam H

** Retired **
Yeah everyone is going mental over it at the moment , even people whom i never thought would be interested in it. Can be a hell of a marketing tools especially for infographics etc and already has a huge following .

I havent ventured over to it yet though, got enough going on at the moment to have another distraction lol

• Admin

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I like it, but I can't see me going mental over it any time soon :D

trombone13

Participant
I've been thinking about checking it out to see if there'd be any good in investing time in it for site advertising, since I've heard good things about people's traffic from it, but I'm not sure how "compatible" it is with music, as opposed to highly pinnable/shareable objects like cakes and dresses and whatever the heck else all of you keep pinning. lol :p

blah...my girlfriend is on that site all the time. She gets a lot of recipe ideas and stuff from it. She was into it before it went "mainstream". Personally...it's not for me.

Shelley

Tazmanian
First time I've heard about it. Looks interesting and I've requested an invite.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
I've been thinking about checking it out to see if there'd be any good in investing time in it for site advertising, since I've heard good things about people's traffic from it, but I'm not sure how "compatible" it is with music, as opposed to highly pinnable/shareable objects like cakes and dresses and whatever the heck else all of you keep pinning. lol :p
It'd be harder for a music site to take advantage of it because the focus of Pinterest is to 'pin' images & videos of things you like; stuff like the soundcloud embedding you do can't be pinned at the moment and trying to promote a forum thread wouldn't be easy to do either because you'd have to use a generic image then unless you have an image or video available that you could use for the pinning & then associate it to the forum thread.

For those running XF, here's a thread of interest: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pinterest-pin-it-button.25921

trombone13

Participant
It'd be harder for a music site to take advantage of it because the focus of Pinterest is to 'pin' images & videos of things you like; stuff like the soundcloud embedding you do can't be pinned at the moment and trying to promote a forum thread wouldn't be easy to do either because you'd have to use a generic image then unless you have an image or video available that you could use for the pinning & then associate it to the forum thread.

For those running XF, here's a thread of interest: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pinterest-pin-it-button.25921
Humorously enough, I just joined it: http://pinterest.com/voiceradio/ Right now, I'm planning to use it for images of albums/singles, video stills, performance shots, and lyric photos (though I realize now that I should have uploaded them using my site's link to get the backlink instead of uploading from my computer...oops). I don't know how well the descriptions are seen, but I put links in those with a short explanation beforehand; we'll see if it helps any with traffic.

Shelley

Tazmanian
I've just received my invite. I'll check this out and see what's on offer in a couple days.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Humorously enough, I just joined it: http://pinterest.com/voiceradio/ Right now, I'm planning to use it for images of albums/singles, video stills, performance shots, and lyric photos (though I realize now that I should have uploaded them using my site's link to get the backlink instead of uploading from my computer...oops). I don't know how well the descriptions are seen, but I put links in those with a short explanation beforehand; we'll see if it helps any with traffic.
I've been playing around with adding a Pinterest button to XF. Getting closer. :whistle:

The big problem I have at the moment is this scenario...
Create a new thread in XF and attach an image. Select the option to display full size. Your visitor views the thread, likes the image, and tries to pin it. The Pinterest pop-up recognizes the image so they select it, enter a description, and hit the submit button.​
The results as of today? The Pinterest pop-up displays no message, clears out the selected image & description, and stays popped-up. If they then view their Pinterest account the image was in fact not pinned to their board.​

The problem is because, at least on my sites, I have attachment downloading turned off for guests. When the Pinterest service attempts to retrieve the image they are doing so as a guest which means it is unable to retrieve the full size image. When it can't retrieve the full size image the thumbnail that they can retrieve is too small so it errors out instead. This can be confirmed by manually going to the Pinterest site and trying to add a pin by using the URL to the forum thread.

Now the really interesting part is that the behavior is different on my vB site but that is a different matter that I'm still trying to figure out. EDIT: Correction, my vB site has the same results after I fixed the guest permissions. D'oh!