phpBB 3.2, the upcoming of the new version

GTB

Tazmanian
Thought they seemed slow releasing next version of 3.1.x. They must have been working more on 3.2 then. Doesn't this next version come with a new editor? I'll be interested to see what 3.2 is like having used 3.1 for ages.

But read posted in that topics there's load of ideas for 3.2 and nobody willing to integrate them. Does that mean they are struggling to include new features that they'd like to due to lack of interest from other developers?

ideas is not an issue, there is already a lot of them but if nobody wants to integrate them... that's why it is aid here and not on .com

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
As forum software goes I have used phpBB many times, but now days I just cant find any good styles or templates that make it look good, that is one of the major issues it has, it just looks dated. They could make it better software then any other forum software out there, but if it looks old, well it looks old and people wont like it.

jekyll

Enthusiast
phpBB lacks new developers indeed, a decade ago they had quite a bunch of talented coders but at some point before or around the release of 3.0.0 most of them lost interest and started to enjoy their real life. Actually, that's sad.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
phpBB lacks new developers indeed, a decade ago they had quite a bunch of talented coders but at some point before or around the release of 3.0.0 most of them lost interest and started to enjoy their real life. Actually, that's sad.

Yep, that seems to be a problem for many open source systems, not just phpBB. Even the smaller CMS providers and such are struggling to get the interest of new developers.

HallofFamer

Habitué
It seems that PHPBB 3.0 was already available back in 2007. Now they are still at 3.1, and 3.2 is still at planning stage.

Ascareus Kratos

Participant
Do you have a link to the new features?
unfortunately no...

Thought they seemed slow releasing next version of 3.1.x. They must have been working more on 3.2 then. Doesn't this next version come with a new editor? I'll be interested to see what 3.2 is like having used 3.1 for ages.

But read posted in that topics there's load of ideas for 3.2 and nobody willing to integrate them. Does that mean they are struggling to include new features that they'd like to due to lack of interest from other developers?
for editor, i dont think so..
yeah caused they lack of developer...
so sad, as they are growing well now but have trouble in number

somehow having many developer maybe risky too
but having a very few doesn't make it better
judging from https://www.phpbb.com/about/team/
they have 10 developer but not all are active

JQP

Dork
That's what we are planning about the phpBB 3.2 schedule:
  • "Final call/remember" about the feature freeze: September 1st
  • Alpha 1: ~ September 13th
  • Feature freeze: ~ September 13th
  • Final release: ~ November (after the Symfony 2.8 release)
November? Like, two months from now? They just now released the first version I think is usable (fixed that #&$%@# nested quote bug) and now they're going to release a whole new version in two months? Hardly seems worth the trouble.

Ascareus Kratos

Participant
November? Like, two months from now? They just now released the first version I think is usable (fixed that #&$%@# nested quote bug) and now they're going to release a whole new version in two months? Hardly seems worth the trouble.
phpbb 3.2 itself doesn't have massive code change and new features
they just fixed major bugs and some small features
that's all...beside they try make extensions from 3.1.x can be worked on 3.2.x or at least just need few adaptation
(this the good part)

Release early, release often. :ninja:
it's better imo, as the updating process now isn't troublesome like before (phpbb 3.0.x)..
they changed their policy into release a 3.1.X version per month..
yah compared when they released 3.0.x on 7-12 months cycle
their development stage now is much better at this moment, though it seems they face lack of developer now
i remember phpbb 3.0 released on 2007, and 3.1 released on 2014.
it needs 7 years...

jekyll

Enthusiast
it's better imo, as the updating process now isn't troublesome like before (phpbb 3.0.x)..

Having used phpBB since its 1.x versions, 3.1.5 was the first version which failed to perform an update via the recommended updating way (the update packs) for me. I can't confirm this.

Ascareus Kratos

Participant
Having used phpBB since its 1.x versions, 3.1.5 was the first version which failed to perform an update via the recommended updating way (the update packs) for me. I can't confirm this.
waw what happens in your board so you can't perform it
anyhow, what i mean on my previous post,
in 3.0.x line, when you are updating, it's quite often we must do the file edits manually
rather than 3.1.x line

jekyll

Enthusiast
The update was just stuck at 18 files, I had to use the "manual upgrade" (replacing all files) for it to work. This is the "recommended way", according to the phpBB forums.

:rolleyes:

feldon30

Fan
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm thrilled that phpBB has done a refactor and are trying to move the software forward. However without any changes to the default theme, you cannot tell that anything has happened or anything has improved.

GTB

Tazmanian
phpbb 3.2 itself doesn't have massive code change and new features
they just fixed major bugs and some small features
Well phpBB 3.1 isn't compatible with PHP 7, while I'm pretty sure phpBB 3.2 is.

So they have done a little more than just that, they brought phpBB 3.2 inline to work with latest PHP 7. Downside for me (with me having changed ProSilver to look a little better). I'm not liking some changes they made to ProSilver with 3.2, should have come with a new theme anyway.

What gets me is they keep starting these topics on Area51 phpBB about a new style and then talk about it forever and a day (there are lots of topics on it), but they don't actually do anything about making a new one

Last edited:

BeyBrad

Adherent
phpBB 2 is what got me into forums, so I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but I don't think there is anything that could get me to care about it now. There are just too many other, better options.

GTB

Tazmanian
I read Arty is no longer creating styles for phpBB, shame considering how long he has created styles for it over the many years past. Now he only concentrates on XenForo and WP styles, to be expected I suppose seeing as his styles for thaem are paid ones offered. But that means you won't see any styles from him now for phpBB 3.2.

https://www.artodia.com/threads/upcoming-changes.2753/

Working on XenForo and WordPress takes all my available time, there is no time left for phpBB. Because of that there won't be any new phpBB styles. There will be some support for styles for phpBB 3.1, these styles will be updated for compatibility with latest phpBB 3.1. phpBB 3.0 styles will be gone. Eventually phpBB 3.1 styles will be gone as well. Anyone who wants to update styles for phpBB 3.2 is welcome to do that and release updated styles on phpbb.com

Last edited: