PHP7 Compatability

Paul M

Super Moderator
Well the good news for these versions is that I have about 2 to 3 months before I leave.
That should allow me to iron out remaining issues and release a final version that will be as compatible as I can make it.

Danielx64

Developer
Well the good news for these versions is that I have about 2 to 3 months before I leave.
That should allow me to iron out remaining issues and release a final version that will be as compatible as I can make it.
That's good to hear :)

Paul M

Super Moderator
I finish at IB on Friday 26th May.

The Final Releases of 4.2.5 & 3.8.11 are scheduled for Wednesday 17th May.
The next release is Beta 4, in 1 or 2 weeks time, there will be at least 1 RC around April time.
Other than that, there will probably be a couple of other releases (depends on what bugs get logged really).

If you find bugs related to PHP 7, please log them, or they may not get fixed.
It will be too late once I'm gone, I dont expect anyone else to do anything on them.
There will almost certainly be no more 3x or 4x releases, except necessary patches [e.g. security issues].

Ramses

Adherent

The next release is Beta 4, in 1 or 2 weeks time, there will be at least 1 RC around April time.
Other than that, there will probably be a couple of other releases (depends on what bugs get logged really).

It will be too late once I'm gone, I dont expect anyone else to do anything on them.
There will almost certainly be no more 3x or 4x releases, except necessary patches [e.g. security issues].
Very, very sad news. :sick:
Thank you Paul for all the hard work, I will miss you.

eva2000

Habitué

Thanks for all the hard work and effort you put into keeping vB3/vB4 up to date all this time ! :tup:

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Paul,

I assume VB 4.x will leave off with a 4.2.6 final release based on updates to 4.2.5 beta updates?

Paul M

Super Moderator
Nope, 4.2.5 will be the final version, once its out of beta and released, there will not be any 4.2.6 (at least not from me anyway).

Paul M

Super Moderator
JFYI, both the Forumrunner and vbulletin.org forums will be running 3.8.11 Beta 3 as of Thursday (but on PHP 5.6).
My own Cable Forum site was switched to PHP 7 and 3.8.11 Beta 3 over the weekend, no issues with the core code noted or reported so far.

(However, it did break my own unread posts mod :( so I'll have to put out an update for that at some point).

chown

Aspirant
Are attachments a little broken for anyone else? I enabled attachments, uploaded 1 and then went to the admincp to move attachments to a directory. It counted 35 attachments even though I've only got 1 against my name. Next I selected to move attachments back into the database and briefly seen a few "Error Upload of file failed" messages.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Attachments are working just fine on my test installations of 4.2.5 (and the various live 3.8.11 installs).

chown

Aspirant
You understand it moves attachments for the entire board, not just one user?
Yes, but attachments were originally disabled for everyone. When I then enabled attachments, uploaded 1 and changed the storage type it said that my account owns 35 attachments. I've figured out why it thought that though.

Attachments are working just fine on my test installations of 4.2.5 (and the various live 3.8.11 installs).
If you move the attachments to the file system and then back to the database you'll get the "Error Upload of file failed" message. This occurs even if you optimize the tables because the data already exists.

In attachment.php it says that the error message should be changed.
PHP:
               if (!($result = $attachdata->save()))
               {
                   if (empty($attachdata->errors[0]))
                   {
                       $attacherror = fetch_error('upload_file_failed'); // change this error
                   }
                   else
                   {
                       $attacherror =& $attachdata->errors[0];
                   }
               }
So it would be better to say that the file already exists?

Last edited:

Paul M

Super Moderator
Like I said, it all works fine for me, including switching between storage types.

That code (and comment) dates from 12 years ago, I'm not about to go changing it now. :)

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
This occurs even if you optimize the tables because the data already exists.

Thed data should be deleted from the table once you press "Finalize" on the moving files from the database to the file system. If the data still exists when you try to move it back, the issue is with the finalize step. Make sure the user has delete permission on the database (though I imagine there would have been other problems first.)

Are you using any kind of master/slave database? Maybe they need time to synchronize.

chown

Aspirant
Like I said, it all works fine for me, including switching between storage types.

That code (and comment) dates from 12 years ago, I'm not about to go changing it now. :)
But does it display the error message? It should, since that's why there's a comment in your code already. So someone at some point agreed with me, but I guess you're only wanting to make essential changes now.

The data should be deleted from the table once you press "Finalize" on the moving files from the database to the file system. If the data still exists when you try to move it back, the issue is with the finalize step. Make sure the user has delete permission on the database (though I imagine there would have been other problems first.)

Are you using any kind of master/slave database? Maybe they need time to synchronize.
PHP:
           $db->query_write("
               UPDATE " . TABLE_PREFIX . "filedata
                   SET filedata = '',
                       thumbnail = ''
               WHERE filedataid IN (" . implode(",", $attachmentids) . ")
           ");
1. If you move attachments from the database to the file system then the filedata and thumbnail columns are cleared.
2. If you move attachments from the file system to the database then the files are deleted from the file system.

At no point should the filedata table have rows removed while the storage type is being changed.

So the only issue here is that the message displayed doesn't reflect what's actually going on. It's not a major issue, but because it said that there's an "error" I had to check that everything did get relocated correctly.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
2. If you move attachments from the file system to the database then the files are deleted from the file system.
Are you sure? I don't believe it does, I think deleting the unused files is up to you, but it has been a long time since I moved files from the filesystem to the database.

chown

Aspirant
Are you sure? I don't believe it does, I think deleting the unused files is up to you, but it has been a long time since I moved files from the filesystem to the database.
Yeah, it does. You'll get the following message.
We have completed moving attachments to the database. Presently, the attachments still remain in the filesystem but are being read from the database. If you are sure that the process completed without incident, go ahead and select yes below to remove the attachments from the filesystem.

This step cannot be reversed and may take a few minutes depending on the number of attachments. Please be patient.