PHP7 Compatability

Paul M

Super Moderator
As you are probably aware, I'm working on updated vB3 & vB4 versions for PHP 7 compatability.

There is no official QA resource available for vB3 or vB4, so I'm looking for anyone who is interested in running the code to iron out any issues that may have crept in. Note that this is to test versions prior to the Alpha releases, which will probably be later in the summer.

I would ideally like them to run in a real situation, not on test sites.
If you are running php 7, or would like to run php 7 and would be interested, please drop me a PM.

You will need to have a vB3 or vB4 licence, I will update the licence to give you access where necessary.

Technically these test versions will install as 4.2.4 Beta 2, or 3.8.10 Beta 1, but with modified code.
If you decide you want to revert, you can download the regular version and replace the modified version.

Please note that while I will be dealing with bugs here, it will only be bugs caused by the updates, or due to PHP 7 compatability issues. All bugs will need to be logged in the vB3 or vB4 projects in Jira.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Technidev

Neophyte
I already run vBulletin 4 on PHP 7 for half a year. :tup: TTFB got cut in half with PHP 7 and OPCache.
Saving template modifications in the ACP that contained expressions seemed to cause the most issues, which I'm sure you'll encounter soon enough.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Saving template modifications in the ACP that contained expressions seemed to cause the most issues, which I'm sure you'll encounter soon enough.
Nope, not encounted any problems with templates atm.

Are you offering to test the latest version ?
If not, can you log the issue you are having, so I can try and replicate it.

Ramses

Adherent
Can't help with testing but want to take the opportunity to thank you for still supporting vB3/4 Paul. :Party:

Paul M

Super Moderator
Can't help with testing but want to take the opportunity to thank you for still supporting vB3/4 Paul.
I do what I can, but its not going to last forever.

Still looking for anyone who is interested in testing on php 7 on vb 3/4.
The Alpha releases are due at the start of August, and should happily run on php 5.5 / 5.6 as well.

GoodKarmaKid

Neophyte
I'm interested in testing PHP7 on Vbulletin 3.8 . I'm currently changing service providers and from a dedicated server to a Virtual Cloud server running PHP7 with litespeed server. It's a highly customized skin with lots of customizations. Send me a message for my license details ( I have about 3 licenses, a couple no branding options, etc ) I looked for a PM button but couldn't find one? Maybe cause it's my first post.

Jason

zappaDPJ

I'm interested in testing PHP7 on Vbulletin 3.8 . I'm currently changing service providers and from a dedicated server to a Virtual Cloud server running PHP7 with litespeed server. It's a highly customized skin with lots of customizations. Send me a message for my license details ( I have about 3 licenses, a couple no branding options, etc ) I looked for a PM button but couldn't find one? Maybe cause it's my first post.

Jason

You need ten posts before you can pm but tagging Paul M might get his attention :)

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome

Jason

Perhaps you can post your vBulletin.com or vBulletin.org username, give Paul some means to lookup your account.

Paul M

Super Moderator
You need ten posts before you can pm but tagging Paul M might get his attention :)
That seems a bit restrictive.

Its allowed me to message him, I presume he can see that and reply, despite the limit.

Fillip H.

Developer
Just quickly logged in to let people know that the Alpha 2 versions were released last Friday.

Alpha 3 will likely be at the start of September.
Really appreciate your work on this :)

We've been running Alpha 1 (with a few manual patches from Jira tickets) on PHP 7 @ DBTech and we haven't experienced any issues whatsoever.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Good to hear, esp as Alpha 1 did have a few (quite specific) hiccups - Alpha 2 a few less.

I havent seen any more issues reported in the last few days.
Alpha 3 will most likely be at the end of next week, or middle of the following week, depending on my other work.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Alpha 3 will most likely be at the end of next week, or middle of the following week, depending on my other work.
Well i got a bit tied up on other stuff, so wont be until next week now.