PHP7 Compatability

GTB

Tazmanian
The also conclude my time as Project Manager for vB3 & vB4, and will most likely be the last ever releases for both the 3.x & 4.x series.
Looks like they want to end support for them two version now, why they are letting you go. But you could still support them from your own site, why don't you do that?

mysiteguy

Devotee
Looks like they want to end support for them two version now, why they are letting you go. But you could still support them from your own site, why don't you do that?
Because it's not his product and he can't legally distribute their source code.

Fillip H.

Developer
The final versions of 3.8.11 & 4.2.5 were released earlier today, they conclude the 4.2.5 & 3.8.11 release schedule.
The also conclude my time as Project Manager for vB3 & vB4, and will most likely be the last ever releases for both the 3.x & 4.x series.
Your work has proven invaluable to us @ DBTech. For our own purposes, PHP 7.0 and 7.1 provided significant and noticeable speed increases for us over 5.6. For our business' purposes, your work has helped keep vB3/vB4 alive.

The rest of the team and I appreciate all your hard work, best of luck in your future endeavours :tup:

Fillip

Paul M

Limeade Addict
... you could still support them from your own site, why don't you do that?
Directly, I could not, because of this.
Because it's not his product and he can't legally distribute their source code.

However, there is no restriction on private work, so I could maintain my own version(s).
Additionally I can always be hired to do custom work on a site, and replicate my changes. ;)

Jake

Developer
The final versions of 3.8.11 & 4.2.5 were released earlier today, they conclude the 4.2.5 & 3.8.11 release schedule.
They're nuking vb4 too? Aren't most vb boards on 4.x?

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
They're nuking vb4 too? Aren't most vb boards on 4.x?
No one is nuking anything. There will continue to be security fixes as needed (if needed) and support continues both in the forums and by ticket if you are entitled to it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
There will continue to be security fixes as needed (if needed)
There really needs to be a more formal statement made about this for those of us that are still using the product especially when other members of the support staff express opinions such as, 'Security patches, I would imagine so.'

Knowing that there will be no further development is something that can be planned for but being caught with an un-patched vulnerability is something else entirely.

Jake

Developer
No one is nuking anything. There will continue to be security fixes as needed (if needed) and support continues both in the forums and by ticket if you are entitled to it.
It doesn't sound that way when this is said:

most likely be the last ever releases for both the 3.x & 4.x series.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
It doesn't sound that way when this is said:
It does if you know by "release" Paul means there is unlikely to be a 4.2.6 or a 3.8.12. But there may well be 4.2.5 Patches and 3.8.11 Patches. I would expect most would understand the lingo by now but if you don't, that is the explanation. Release means a numbered version. They are different than patches.

eva2000

Habitué
thanks Paul M for all your hard work in keeping vB3/vB4 on life support for so long !

zappaDPJ

Administrator
But there may well be 4.2.5 Patches and 3.8.11 Patches.
There's a lot of conjecture on both sides but what's needed is a basic reassurance that vulnerabilities will be patched for the foreseeable future and that must come from someone with the authority to make that decision. In view of what's already known, low sales and lay-offs etc, I really don't think anything can be taken for granted.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
There's a lot of conjecture on both sides but what's needed is a basic reassurance that vulnerabilities will be patched for the foreseeable future and that must come from someone with the authority to make that decision. In view of what's already known, low sales and lay-offs etc, I really don't think anything can be taken for granted.
There's no such thing as an iron clad promise in this sort of thing. Even if the CEO himself spoke he would say "The plan is..." No CEO in this country is going to guarantee you something about the future that may make their company liable for untold fortunes. Find us a competitor that is guaranteeing something similar.

The official word is support for security exploits will continue for the foreseeable future. Yes, it's possible it may change, nothing is in stone here. Nother ever has been in stone.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
There's no such thing as an iron clad promise in this sort of thing. Even if the CEO himself spoke he would say "The plan is..." No CEO in this country is going to guarantee you something about the future that may make their company liable for untold fortunes. Find us a competitor that is guaranteeing something similar.
I don't think anyone asked for or expects an iron clad promise. I said 'a basic reassurance that vulnerabilities will be patched for the foreseeable future'

The official word is support for security exploits will continue for the foreseeable future.
That's all that's needed but it's not something I've read anywhere on vbulletin.com.

To put some perspective on things, I have a large, heavily modified vBulletin 4 based forum that's been sitting in hibernation for a few months. I've been asked to open it up again and now would be the ideal time to migrate but if there's going to be ongoing support for vulnerabilities then I might consider opening it up as it is.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Security issues will continue to be patched, thats always been the case regardless of any work I have done.

Its highly unlikely you will see any specific official announcement because they dont care to announce anything thats not part of vB5. I suggested it, but managemnt didnt seem interested.

For the record - the vB3 blogs are unlikely to be supported much longer, same for the vB3 MAPI product - you may have noticed neither was updated for PHP7.

Last edited:

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Aren't most vb boards on 4.x?
Yes they are.

About 94% are on vB3 or vB4, of those 94%, about 60% are vB4.

I've point this out to them many times, vB5 is used by about 6%. Go figure.

GTB

Tazmanian
Hmm... in a way they are now. If they are letting Paul go and have no plans to replace him with another person keeping vB3 and vB4 updated to work with latest PHP versions. Then isn't that pretty much nuking it now then, even if still releasing any security updates that might pop up. It would seem they have stopped with the idea of keeping vB3 and 4 working any further for the foreseeable future, but it does have a few more years left in it now running on 'current' PHP 7 versions.

I mean... would you now start a new forum on vB4 knowing nobody is keeping it updated anymore after Paul leaves? That sounds like Nuked to me. :cool:

Last edited: