PHP7 Compatability

Paul M

Limeade Addict
A few people have asked if I'm still working on making vB3 & vbB4 compatible with PHP 7.2, and how this would work.

The answer is yes, in my spare time (which I dont have much of !).
I'm not in a rush as 4.2.5 & 3.8.11 work with 7.1, so PHP 7 is covered for a while.

When I'm ready, I will have Alpha Versions (most likely as 4.2.9 & 3.8.15).
These will of course be completely unofficial, but would work as upgrades from the current versions.
(Leaving a gap of 3 versions between them and 4.2.5/3.8.11, just covers things in case IB ever release an update).

I would likely make these available as a private update service, which would work as follows.

1. You pay me (!).
2. You download 4.2.5 (or 3.8.11) from your members area, and send me the zip file.
3. I will extract your files, run them through an update process, and then zip them back up.
4. I will return the zipped 4.2.9/3.8.15 files back to you.
5. You use them to upgrade your site in the normal manner.
6. You report any bugs to me, and in time I will look at them.
7. I would periodically make bug fixes available (as zipped updates).

The reason for doing it this way is because I can only edit your licensed files, not supply my own.

A few points - I would not update any version other than 4.2.5 or 3.8.11, for two reasons ;

1. Its just much harder to update older version files
2. It proves you are licensed for the latest version (this is really only an issue for vB3).

The cost would likely be around the $40 to $49 mark (once only).
Support (and bug fixes) would be limited, and only for issues directly related to PHP 7.2

I would stress at this point, I'm still only considering this.
Whether I actually do it depends on my time (and of course, any interest shown).

The "Pay Me" first would not be negotiable.
I dont have time to be chasing people for payment.
If you dont trust me, thats fine, you simply would not use the service.

I hope this answers all the questions people have been asking me in the last few months.

Fillip H.

Developer
I would likely make these available as a private update service, which would work as follows.

1. You pay me (!).
2. You download 4.2.5 (or 3.8.11) from your members area, and send me the zip file.
3. I will extract your files, run them through an update process, and then zip them back up.
4. I will return the zipped 4.2.9/3.8.15 files back to you.
5. You use them to upgrade your site in the normal manner.
6. You report any bugs to me, and in time I will look at them.
7. I would periodically make bug fixes available (as zipped updates).

The reason for doing it this way is because I can only edit your licensed files, not supply my own.
Have you considered supplying .diff/.patch files instead of doing this? It would be easier to offer them for download via an eCommerce system after purchase, and you could include detailed instructions for how to apply them.

For people without SSH access to their server, you could offer a Professional Installation add-on service which is the same as those steps.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Have you considered supplying .diff/.patch files instead of doing this? It would be easier to offer them for download via an eCommerce system after purchase, and you could include detailed instructions for how to apply them.

For people without SSH access to their server, you could offer a Professional Installation add-on service which is the same as those steps.
I would prefer the zipped edited complete package. You never know when you might need to reinstall.

Fillip H.

Developer
I would prefer the zipped edited complete package. You never know when you might need to reinstall.
If you had a set of .diff files it would be simple to re-apply them. Alternatively, you could patch your own extracted .zip files, then upload the files to your server before zipping them yourself.

Just a way of reducing the workload for Paul is all.

we_are_borg

Administrator
The .diff/.patch would have all that information in the file. You only need to use free software to execute the diff and your clean download would be patched.

Belazor i dont think he can do that because of the copyright on the code. if he does it him self its no issue at all because people are hire-ringhim to alter the code and based on the license people can do that.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Plus if you have to do a clean install, it's an extra step:

1. Install vBulletin 4.2.5

2. Apply the patch

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome

2. Apply the patch
I don't believe that is what was described here. You wouldn't be able to install 4.2.5 if PHP 7.2 was installed so that isn't a practical option.

we_are_borg

Administrator

2. Apply the patch
Paul's way

1. Download
2. Send to him
3. Wait
4. Upload
5. Done

With diff patches

1. Download (vB and .diff)
2. Apply patch
3. Upload
4. Done

Either way Paul's way is easier because he knows what to lookout for if something is wrong.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Paul's way

1. Download
2. Send to him
3. Wait
4. Upload
5. Done

With diff patches

1. Download (vB and .diff)
2. Apply patch
3. Upload
4. Done

Either way Paul's way is easier because he knows what to lookout for if something is wrong.
I am talking about a potential clean install though. See above post by BOP5.

And I am supporting Paul's stated method, disagreeing with Belazor.

Banxix

Enthusiast
I'm running vB 4.2.5 and PHP 7.2.4 on test site and there are not any serious problems, just some warnings about constants. What's more?

Even if there are some more gaps, could be easily fixed.

Last edited:

stijl

Aspirant
Great to hear your putting the energy into this Paul, now I’m thinking about launching a vb3 this summer.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
I did, fixed for other plugins as well. Vsa - advanced stats and hide hack are the most broken.
-------------
Hardest part is plugins, not vBulletin itself, so beware.
Could you perhaps list the plugins you had to update?

Banxix

Enthusiast
Could you perhaps list the plugins you had to update?
Nearly all of them got problem with "undefined constant" - this happens most. I think almost plugins affected. Especially when they use template syntax like $vbphrase[notconstant]
Some got fatal error because of removed feature of PHP such as when it uses

Code:
unset($this);
So far my list is

- Older DBTech mods
- vFCoders - Hide Hack
- VSa - Advanced Forum Statistics
- vBookie for vBulletin 4
- Spiders Display on Forumhome and Who's Online
- Make Prefixes Clickable to Filter Forumdisplay
- Forum Splash Warning Page
- Chiplove.9xpro - Thread Thumbnails 2.2.12

And some other mods I have fixed before but I don't remember if they are compatible with PHP 7.2

You can, however, ignore constant warnings but this is not a great choice unless you want hundreds of warnings each page load into error logs.

Last edited:

Delfi_R

Neophyte
When I move to php 7 I'll pay you, I'm waiting for a authomatic transition to php 7.1 of my servers. But they can skip it and go for 7,2... so i'll be forced.

Copying al the forum to a 7,1 server by hand it's a lot of work.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
I dont think 7.2 has any fatal errors, not that I recall anyway.
So if you have all error logging disabled, it will probably limp along.

I think you may have upgraded to 4.2.5 before you upgraded to php 7.2 though.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
If you're going to do 7.2 you might consider making sure it's compatible with 7.3, as it offers performance improvements and will have a security update life cycle at least a year longer than 7.2.