PHP and mariadb requirements as it relates to base software vs add-ons

TLBofBL

Neophyte
Perhaps a dumb question, but I don't mind asking - We're looking to upgrade our server from PHP 7.1 to 7.3 or 7.4 perhaps. I'm trying to chase down add-ons for compatability, but most of them don't list any requirements or conflicts. Am I to assume so long as the base XF software version I have is meant to run on 7.4, and the add-ons are to work on that base system, I'm fine and chasing ghosts at this point?

bevans49

Aspirant
No real reason, Getting old and lazy I guess, and 10.1 is what came with the VPS. Still seems to work fine.
Honestly, I was surprised to find the 7.4 upgrade so soon in Plesk.

Karll

Adherent
MariaDB 10.1 is EOL from mid October this year:

My impression regarding MariaDB/MySQL database version in the context of Internet forums, in general, is that as long as it hasn't reached EOL, an old version which is receiving bugfix/patch updates is absolutely fine, perhaps even better than a newer version. The reason is that older versions tend to be more performance optimised and be more mature, i.e. have less bugs.

There is also the fact that forum developers tend to keep supporting old database versions for a looong time, and do not take advantage of new features ... until they become old features!

One thing that newer versions have going for them is optimised ALTER TABLE statements. So if there is a new XF or IPS has a new version out which requires schema changes, then the new version may have an advantage (MariaDB 10.3, MariaDB 10.4) on large forums with big database tables.

Edited to add: BTW, if anyone were considering MySQL 8.0: While it has great features, it has a strange "evergreen" release scheme which means the new features are released little by little together with patch/bugfix releases. That is, while e.g. version 8.0.21 has bugfixes (as you'd expect), it also has completely new features. Which means there is a risk that new bugs has also been introduced alongside the new features. At the same time, you can no longer downgrade back to an old version if you run into any serious bugs. For this reason, 8.0 is a "bumpy ride", and I personally wouldn't use it in production. Just saying!

Last edited: