Photo copyright

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
What would constitute a nominal sum here? Just curious because the world has apparently gotten more complicated since I last had to deal with anything like this.

MartyF

Aspirant
What would constitute a nominal sum here? Just curious because the world has apparently gotten more complicated since I last had to deal with anything like this.
I contacted the photographer directly and asked how much he would charge to licence a photo of his for use on the web. That was 2 weeks ago now and I haven't had any response :(. I did find some comments on the web on various sites about others who had contacted the photographer only for it to come back to them via the Troll - Fechner, so I'm not holding my breath.

I made a 'without prejudice' offer of €100 as I thought that was reasonable for a 900 x 600 93Kb version of the photographer's original image which a member had grabbed off Google images and which was only viewed a small few hundred times. The Troll rejected it but did give me a €6.61 discount and said I could pay in 2 instalments of €1000 each, one this Friday (well last Friday now) and one next Friday - how generous of him :) .

I politely declined that counter-offer, reiterated the fact I thought €100 was reasonable and asked him to a) send me a copy of the MFM tables he refers to (you have to be part of the german photographer's society and/or in the legal business in Germany and pay €38 to get a copy) and b) to prove to me his client usually charges in accordance with those tables - as that's what he'd have to demonstrate in court.

I know there's a strong argument for doing nothing in these situations until you get the proper claim issued by the German court but I'm afraid now I have the bit between my teeth and I detest people who do things like he is so, with a little help from my friend, I'm beginning to play games with him :lildevil:. The grand plan is he'll just give up and move on to easier targets - although I'll never know, just never hear from him again.