Suggestion Petition to remove the Anonymous account

Should TAZ allow @Anonymous posts while moderating its use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
That is one major issue in the Anonymous account we (moderators) and users have no idea if its the same user responding in a thread.
At one time I allowed moderators to see as who posted well, but there were issues.

Anonymous

Habitué
What did I ever do to you?

I only try to provide a vessel for neutral anonymous posting.

If you delete me then where will I go?

Anonymous accounts have feelings too :cry:

Hear hear, anonymous accounts unite!

< - Look at that cute face - did you really want that to go?

BTW, Anonymous see you at Admins Anonymous tonight?

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
At one time I allowed moderators to see as who posted well, but there were issues.

The problem with giving moderators the right to see who it is, is that we need to honor the anonymous account and not tell normal users who it is. Even when you disagree or agree.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Personally, I wouldn't post anonymously and I've never considered implementing such a feature on any site I admin, but then I don't admin any sites like this one. But, I think we can all recognize that Howard and the admin team in general put a great deal of rational thought into decisions made regarding how TAZ operates. I see good points being made on both sides of this discussion, and I'm content with the trust I have in our admins to continue to act in the best interest of everyone.

haqzore

Devotee
No you're wrong about that. Go back and re-read what I actually posted. ALL of my complaints in that thread were about someone hiding behind Anonymous. ALL of them.
But where's a good reason?

You talk about "cowardice", which is absurd (see my first reply). You talk about "credentials", but a statement never has credentials.

A statement either stands or falls on its own.

If you need to know who made the statement to accept it, the statement is weak. It should stand on its own.

If you want to know who made the statement to discount it, you've let emotion enter where it shouldn't.

This all reeks or taking things personally that shouldn't be.

Paul M

Super Moderator
My views are well known on this (by the admins).

I would disable it in a heartbeat, I dont think it has any place on this (or any) site.

sbjsbj

Fan
I don't understand why you would want to remove this feature.

Let's say it is removed. Well, I always can go and create a new account and post sth. under a new name. That would make me anonymous. Obviously the Alter-Ego addon would catch me probably doing that, but if mods and admins ignored that, I could go and do that.

This is how reddit does it. People say all the time "this is my throwaway account" because they don't want to do that under their normal accounts.

And now what?

There is an XF addon which allows us to not go through that hussle to create a new account and can just click one checkbox and we can post anonymously.

So, I really don't get why you would want to delete this feature as it is comfortable for the users who want to use it and if you deleted it, I can still create new accounts.

Last edited:

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
The whole point of the anonymous posting feature is so you can make posts that could potentially cause issues if your identity was attached to them - for example, if you needed to post about an issue with a moderator on your site who also happens to be a member of TAZ.

If people are using it for stupid crap or abusive purposes then they should be getting punished for being jackasses.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I have never seen an anonymous post on this site , Do i have them blocked or something?

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
FWIW - I can understand someone wanting to remain anonymous if their real identity itself would cause controversy, but on here we do not reveal our real identities; for example, am I a man or woman, am I old or am I young, am I black or white or yellow or a martian? I'm called Maddox, not my real name and not associated with anything other than what I feel compelled to reveal.

Off the top of my head I could tell you the full names of at least 5 different members here. Give me an hour and I could probably make a list of over 50.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Personally, I put the anonymous account on ignore the first time I realized that is possible. That works for me, not saying it would work for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.