Suggestion Petition to remove the Anonymous account

Should TAZ allow @Anonymous posts while moderating its use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
I was against the anonymous account until djbaxter basically proved and demonstrated its usefulness. The anonymous account gives an avenue for people to share important sensitive information or opinion without being exposed to personal attacks that can damage the person or company.

By viciously attacking the person behind the opinion you demonstrate clearly the need for an anonymous account.
I did not "viciously attack the opinion". And I could not "viciously attack the person behind the opinion" because he was hiding behind Anonymous.

I did attack the fact that his opinion was hiding behind Anonymous. Repeatedly.

If you somehow managed to miss that, you missed the entire point of my posts.

Alpha1

Administrator
I disagree with your statement. I think you display a very heated emotional exchange instead of respectful discourse. If you intent to come across differently, then please consider your posting style before hitting submit.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
djbaxter

You object to it being anonymous, we understand that. You believe people should own their opinions.

What is very clear is that the person who posted anonymously would draw *more* criticism if they were honest about who they are. That it would lead to people like you criticising them for having that opinion, rather than criticising them for hiding behind a pseudonym.

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that it was a rival addon developer. Any criticism of AndyB is suddenly now 'because he's a rival' and getting rid of rivals ensures more revenue etc. - and no longer about the rules being followed or not.

Maybe it's Chris D, though I would be very surprised if it was, using it as a way to neutrally point out what he himself would be lambasted for if he were to post it as himself (because then it would absolutely be called a witch hunt)

You see: this is why anonymity is important. Sometimes you have to be able to reveal something and not stand behind the statement publicly because anything in the statement will be drowned out by the controversy surrounding who is saying it.

Like here, there is so much more arguing about 'who it was' rather than 'what was said'.

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
I do not respect anyone hiding behind the veil of anonymity. If that's what came across to you, that part was intentional.

I feel exactly the same way about people who create fake social media accounts to post or troll on Facebook, etc. If you have something to say, then say it. If you're not going to own your opinion honestly, then go away.

I was attacking the use of Anonymous., not the opinions expressed and not the person behind Anonymous, since I have no way of knowing who that is.

He, whoever he is, is certainly entitled to his opinion. And he would not have been attacked by me for holding a different opinion.

That's why I started this thread.

I don't see the point in rehashing the other thread here. It has already been sanitized in any case.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
You can partition to remove the option but The Sandman likes it, so I don't think it's going to happen.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
And he would not have been attacked by me for holding a different opinion.

I disagree. I rather suspect you would end up being unhappier upon knowing who it was.

Maddox

Habitué
FWIW - I can understand someone wanting to remain anonymous if their real identity itself would cause controversy, but on here we do not reveal our real identities; for example, am I a man or woman, am I old or am I young, am I black or white or yellow or a martian? I'm called Maddox, not my real name and not associated with anything other than what I feel compelled to reveal.

Forums are anonymised by usernames - if a username has become familiar and is a cause of contention then ask for the original account to be anonymised and give the user a new account under a different name; starting afresh and keeping quiet about who they really are will let that person freely discuss topics.

If a person needs to anonymise an anonymous name to begin with, then there is something inherently wrong with either the person and the role they play in the outside world and their opinions, or there really is something to hide. It's just plain daft in my opinion lol.

Personally I could care less about who or what someone is or does, as long as they are honest and forthright then what's the problem? Sometimes we can create the circumstances that becomes the cause of a problem.

;)

D

Deleted 106708

You can partition to remove the option but The Sandman likes it, so I don't think it's going to happen.
And here I thought this was a community and not a dictatorship. I understand it's his website and he can do as he pleases but shutting down suggestions from the community on because you don't like something is not the way to do things .

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
As I posted elsewhere, TAZ has anonymous posting because TAZ doesn't exist in a vacuum - members here have their own forums elsewhere, with their own members and their own staff. And some TAZ members work in the forum industry. Things posted on TAZ can cause backlash for these people elsewhere.
I don't like it or dislike it... I don't get to use it.

I think it's necessary in certain circumstances for an admin to be able to speak to their peers without worrying that their own members, staff, or employer will take issue at something they revealed here.

haqzore

Devotee
This whole conversation is a bit silly to me.

It's not some macho, manly accomplishment to post using your own account. And few are worried about whether they have anyone else's 'respect' on TAZ.

It's a frickin forum. The simple fact is anyone using Anonymous, if taken away, could register Bnonymous. Does that change anything? And then register Cnonymous. What've we accomplished here?

Cowardice? Come on... It's literally text on the internet :rolleyes:

If credentials can't come from the "avatar's" history, then the burden of proof is on Anonymous to substantiate their claims with each post made. If they don't? Keep on scrolling.

Let's not allow ourselves to be pulled in emotionally so easily.

Life's short.
It's text on the internet.

Last edited:

Banxix

Enthusiast
This whole conversation is a bit silly to me.

It's not some macho, manly accomplishment to post using your own account. And few are worried about whether they have anyone else's 'respect' on TAZ.

It's a frickin forum. The simple fact is anyone using Anonymous, if taken away, could register Bnonymous. Does that change anything? And then register Cnonymous. What've we accomplished here?

Cowardice? Come on... It's literally text on the internet :rolleyes:

If credentials can't come from the "avatar's" history, then the burden of proof is on Anonymous to substantiate their claims with each post made. If they don't? Keep on scrolling.

Let's not allow ourselves to be pulled in emotionally so easily.

Life's short.
It's text on the internet.

This is the reason there is no need for a "Annonymous" account because one can create their own. It is better to do so. At least I know he is Bnnonymous.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
This is the reason there is no need for a "Annonymous" account because one can create their own. It is better to do so. At least I know he is Bnnonymous.
Except that I know who’s posting using the Anonymous account and thus can police it.

haqzore

Devotee
This is the reason there is no need for a "Annonymous" account because one can create their own. It is better to do so.
I addressed this:
And then register Cnonymous. What've we accomplished here?
Keep the chain going as long as you'd like. You've still accomplished nothing.

At least I know he is Bnnonymous.
I also addressed this:

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
No but because how you responded it demonstrated why we need it. If you knew who it was it would have been much worse then it was now.
No you're wrong about that. Go back and re-read what I actually posted. ALL of my complaints in that thread were about someone hiding behind Anonymous. ALL of them.

Anonymous

Habitué
What did I ever do to you?

I only try to provide a vessel for neutral anonymous posting.

If you delete me then where will I go?

Anonymous accounts have feelings too :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.