VPS Paying about U$ 120/month in my actual server and he can't handle my Forum. Need to migrate to a reliable solution.

Chris

Administrator
Congrats - hopefully this will allow your community plenty of room to grow.

I would look into apps that would shrink the attachments without upsetting the quality of the attachments.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Congrats - hopefully this will allow your community plenty of room to grow.

I would look into apps that would shrink the attachments without upsetting the quality of the attachments.

Any suggestions on this?

Chris

Administrator
I've used an addon from ThemeHouse that would integrate into Kracken, or actually libraries that were installed on the server to work it's magic.

I know there are a few other addons - but this one worked straightforward for me.

GoingRight

Enthusiast
You can get a dedicated server with good management from several reputable providers for around the same price you are paying.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
So have you picked new VPS?

The difference now: the VPS is working very well and the support/management is great.

You can get a dedicated server with good management from several reputable providers for around the same price you are paying.

Well, that’s why I asked first.

KnownHost looks to be a very reputable and reliable company, right?

CrazyTech

Enthusiast
Not as sure about Namecheap, but you're really about at that dedicated threshold. The Xeon E-2136 from Namecheap would be plenty for what you need, and certainly under the next step up.

Look, I know saying this will catch me some crap if interpreted wrongly, but while VPS's provide a lot of upside, there can be some downsides to performance, particularly in an active environment over time. Everyone is well versed in theoretical arguments when it comes to virtualization, but with an active website, you cannot beat your own environment on your own hardware. Keep in mind that a VPS is ultimately resource sharing and will differ in actual application from host to host.

Sometimes the hype to go virtualized can be overplayed. For example, nothing beats a virtualized environment when it comes to being able to stand up resources quickly or quickly recover from an outage by spinning up a clone. It can also be great for that in-between space of too large for shared but too small for dedicated.

However, those strengths of virtualization are not scenarios that you will see with even a fairly active forum. Sometimes you just need the speed and power of the hardware, and you're emerging into the realm where the dedicated hardware will give you more punch for the budget at the resource level.

It seems you have the VPS part resolved for now, though, so do share where you finally ended up at -- or did you resolve the issues with the host mentioned in the OP?

Goodfella

Adherent
So after being a KH customer for years, I decided to move over to LiquidWeb. After reading this thread, I decided to review my KH plan and noticed that I was on a grandfathered plan, which was more expensive and offered fewer specs than their lowest current plan. I was paying more for fewer specs than their current plan!

I then reviewed my billing and noticed that a promotion that I was also supposed to be grandfathered into was removed. I had a price discount and a ram upgrade which apparently was removed who knows when. I was on a promotion that doubled the RAM to ~3GB and then I noticed I only had 1.75GB. This has been the case for MONTHS!

I contacted support and told them about my issues and about me moving hosts. They didn't seem to care and pretty much said: "Good luck to you then". I guess this is how hosts behave when they think they have enough customers.

I guess this is what happens when you trust managed hosts too much.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
We use Homepage Universe (previously URL Jet). We have a VPS with them and it's not the cheapest ever but their customer service is top notch. Day or night, any time we've had a problem they have dealt with it quickly and responsively. I highly recommend them. They are in line with what you are currently paying, but sounds like they would be a major upgrade in terms of quality.

BushcraftUSA

Neophyte
We use Homepage Universe (previously URL Jet). We have a VPS with them and it's not the cheapest ever but their customer service is top notch. Day or night, any time we've had a problem they have dealt with it quickly and responsively. I highly recommend them. They are in line with what you are currently paying, but sounds like they would be a major upgrade in terms of quality.

We moved from them almost 2 years ago after pretty sorry support when Homepage purchased URLJet. We had been with URLJet for over 6 years and received great support until the switch. I'm glad they are working for you.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
We rarely have had issues of any kind. Prior to URLJet we were on GoDaddy which for us was awful. Frequent outages with no communication. We haven't experienced any changes in terms of responsiveness to tickets and continue to rarely experience issues since URLJet became Homepage Universe. Sorry to hear you didn't have that experience.

Hostboard

Enthusiast
I am on a private dedicated server and only paying $98/month at PhoenixNAP (I have been with them for years).

There are currently 359 users online. 3 members and 335 guests, with 21 spiders
Most users ever online was 11,911, January 20th, 2020 at 09:02 PM.

Threads 301,996 Posts 1,978,503 Members 216,678
Welcome to our newest member, XxX
Average Registrations 61.89 Per Day, 433.23 Per Week, 1,856.71 Per MonthAverage Posts 293.42 Per Day, 2,053.91 Per Week, 8,802.48 Per MonthAverage Threads 48.40 Per Day, 338.83 Per Week, 1,452.14 Per Month

USA E-2186G (012019) [Secured Servers, 1]
RAM (In GB): 32 GB ECC DDR4 (Included)
RAID OPTIONS: Software RAID 1 - (Requires 2 identical HDD or SSD drivers)
PRIMARY HARD DRIVE OPTIONS: 480 GB SSD Enterprise Grade (Included)
HARD DRIVE 2 OPTIONS: 480 GB SSD Enterprise Grade
BANDWIDTH UPGRADE OPTIONS ($0.10/GB for Overages): 15 TB Transfer (1 Gbps Uplink) incl. FREE 20Gbps DDoS (Included)
PRIMARY IP ALLOCATION: /29 IP allocation (5 usable IPs) (Included)
OPERATING SYSTEM: CentOS 7.x 64 bit (Latest Stable)

DigNap15

Habitué
I'm with Siteground
I have a very busy forum -1,800 posts a day
It has never gone down on me since March
In that time that have increased my bandwith by 50% at no extra cost

D

Deleted member 111968

HiVelocity has some good metal at good prices and their AUP is good. Dreamhost has good AUP too, but at the time I needed some metal, they had none with NVMe hard drive.

snerd

Aspirant
You'll be very happy with Knownhost. Been with them over 2 years. To the guy who left them, I wasn't sure when you told them your concerns? Was it 'after' you had already moved off their servers?

xaoseric

Developer
"Frantech is a strong believer and supporter of Freedom of Speech and has taken a strong, and in some cases very public, stance against censorship."

Does that mean you allow any legal content?
Not the owner of it, but they are one of the few that allow Tor exit nodes so as long as it is legal in your country, I don’t see why not and the AUP clearly spells out as long as it isn’t malicious, email spam or illegal content then it is allowed. I have been with them for a while and can definitely recommend them.