VPS Paying about U$ 120/month in my actual server and he can't handle my Forum. Need to migrate to a reliable solution.

palhanow

Enthusiast
Hello guys,

I'm having a problem with my Forum and server and i need your guys assistance.

Some context about:

My Forum is pretty big in my country (Brazil), with more than 3 million posts, and almost 200k threads;
Is pretty active (300 users daily active + 500 visitors, on daily basis);
Use XenForo 2.1

I rent a server from a brazilian company and they charge very expensive price (something about 120 U$/month) and they do some server administration because i lack all the skills for this.

Every time my site grows bigger, i have to make a upgrade and today, my configuration is this:

Is called in the shop page "VPS Cloud HA-3"
AMD Epyc 7351P
6 CPUS
12GB RAM
200 GB of hard-disk
Link with 100Mb/s
And unlimited Up/Down transfer.

So, like i said, every 6 months i have to do a upgrade to the "next level" and even now, my site suffers with lag, down time, problems when removing old posts. Some times opening the Alerts is a pain in the ass and the most basic functions is very slow to accomplish, like opening a thread or post a content. My users complain about it every day and i don't know what to do next.

Just now i tried to install a add-on, and man, got the CloudFlare error every time.

And every time that i open a support ticket i get the same "default" replies from the support: "Your Forum application is very heavy", "your Forum db got a corrupted database in the past and we fixed"/"you need to make a new upgrade to supply the demand" and all this kind of things.

I can't deny they did a very good job most of times, but this "slowness" is a thing they just can't fix and i can't pay more upgrades without the guarantee that is gonna work.

The next upgrade is about 160 U$/month and man... I really don't trust this anymore.

I don't know what is going on but i think is time to migrate to a more specialized service.

So, what i can do about it?

I need a good and reliable service with server administration (like i said, i can't do this server administration) and a possibility to migrate all the content and database.

Please, don't recommend "new guys" or "new companies" for do this job. My site is my main income and i can't risk everything. I need a seriously service.

Can you guys recommend me something to do?

we_are_borg

Administrator
Can you give stats like threads, post, current users etc this would provide info people need to give advice.

doubt

Tazmanian
I rent a server from a brazilian company and they charge very expensive price
You are relatively close to the US. I think you should get the server for your site from a reliable company from the US.

haqzore

Devotee
You are relatively close to the US. I think you should get the server for your site from a reliable company from the US.
His site is primarily Brazilian politics (if I remember correctly) with, I assume, a great majority of Brazilian traffic.
Not sure this would make sense in that case?

palhanow

Enthusiast
You'll probably want to switch from a VPS to a fully dedicated solution.

I stand by my company, namecheap. They have always been good and stable host.

Here's their dedicated server page: https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/dedicated-servers/
Thank you for your suggestion but I'm having trouble to compare the hardware specs from what i have and for what they offer. Like i said, i don't have the skills to handle server administration.

For what i'm saying, do you have any sugestion for what dedicated server i'm looking for?

Anyone can vouch for this company here in TAZ?

Can you give stats like threads, post, current users etc this would provide info people need to give advice.
Yes my friend:

- I have a peak per day around 400 visitors;
- Some 300 users active online;
- 3 million posts;
- Almost 300k threads;
- Very active site, with 24h/day users using it;

His site is primarily Brazilian politics (if I remember correctly) with, I assume, a great majority of Brazilian traffic.
Not sure this would make sense in that case?
You are correct without a doubt (lol), but for internet purposes, i think the distance won't matter much, right?

And that's exactly what I'm looking for, a good and reliable American company, i just need some directions.

TheChiro

Devotee
What are the uniques per day? Have you tried using cloudflare to help with caching and CDN? Sounds like you are looking for managed dedi? I've heard good things about KnownHost (I think they are active here on the site). Not sure if they are managed but I've heard good things about OVH as well.

Kyrie

Fan
Thank you for your suggestion but I'm having trouble to compare the hardware specs from what i have and for what they offer. Like i said, i don't have the skills to handle server administration.

For what i'm saying, do you have any sugestion for what dedicated server i'm looking for?

Anyone can vouch for this company here in TAZ?

Yes my friend:

- I have a peak per day around 400 visitors;
- Some 300 users active online;
- 3 million posts;
- Almost 300k threads;
- Very active site, with 24h/day users using it;

You are correct without a doubt (lol), but for internet purposes, i think the distance won't matter much, right?

And that's exactly what I'm looking for, a good and reliable American company, i just need some directions.

I'm not sure on specifics, but I do know they offer a by-the-month server administration fee to handle most things for you. I, thankfully, have avoided paying for things by just asking for help when I need it.

overcast

Adherent
Based on what you have posted I can only think of few - KnownHost, Softlayer, Digitalocean, Vultr. I don't trust subcontracted reseller VPS hosts that are out there.

TLChris

Administrator
First - congratulations on continuing to grow your forum, to require additional setup.
If you are happy with the support, why not give them the opportunity, and upgrade twice as big instead of attempting to have to do another increase in 6 months.

I would also be looking at a minimum of SSDs for hard drives, possibly NVMe.
I also would recommend that you have multiple backup with at least one being offsite going since this is your livelihood.

VoXX

Participant
Based on what you have posted I can only think of few - KnownHost, Softlayer, Digitalocean, Vultr. I don't trust subcontracted reseller VPS hosts that are out there.
I can vouch for Knownhost, solid company.

palhanow

Enthusiast
What are the uniques per day? Have you tried using cloudflare to help with caching and CDN? Sounds like you are looking for managed dedi? I've heard good things about KnownHost (I think they are active here on the site). Not sure if they are managed but I've heard good things about OVH as well.
I'm already on CloudFlare (free plan), but i don't know the specifics to how improve all the things and i really cannot trust most of professionals around here.

Every month they send me e-mails telling me they saved tons of terabytes of information. That's is a good thing, right?

But I'm willing to pay someone to configure this kind of things.

Actually, this year I'm in the process to move all my attachments files to Amazon Cloud or similar.

Can you tell me more about CDN? I see this options on XF Panel, but i don't know what to do with then.

Yeah, i don't trust resellers too. This is the main reason why I'm going to a american company. Digital Ocean is in my radar for a long time.

First - congratulations on continuing to grow your forum, to require additional setup.
If you are happy with the support, why not give them the opportunity, and upgrade twice as big instead of attempting to have to do another increase in 6 months.

I would also be looking at a minimum of SSDs for hard drives, possibly NVMe.
I also would recommend that you have multiple backup with at least one being offsite going since this is your livelihood.
Thanks Chris.

First, good job here on TAZ. This 2.1 upgrade was a great thing happened here.

The main reason why i don't go a full upgrade with then is because the price. Is very expensive here in my country. Let's say, the 'enter level' for a dedicated server is 50% of the minimum month wage here. So, it's a lot of money.

I'm in the process to change all my HD's to SSD's (and of course a good Blue Ray Burner to backup everything). It's a huge difference. I think is the best thing happened in hardware world in the last 10 years.

People, thank you very much for all the replies.

I'm going to study the best option now and hope, in the next 6 months, migrate to a american company, with proper server administration.

palhanow

Enthusiast
Why wait so long? This could be done in a week or two.

huh?
Financial planning. That’s why :(

And do you think the reability of SSD’s are good enough? They tend to be more fragile than other storages, right?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Financial planning. That’s why :(

And do you think the reability of SSD’s are good enough? They tend to be more fragile than other storages, right?
Not at all --- I have 6 of them setup in raid in each of my servers. No other way to go. SSDs -- platter drives are awful for a busy site - much too slow.

DigNap15

Adherent
Geez $120 a month!
I just started my site on a $120 a year plan!
Do you make enough on your site to pay for this?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Regularly upselling is a sign of shady dealings. A proper provider should normally serve better performance at not extra cost.

As for recommendations, I've heard nothing but positive feedback about mysiteguy . His services appear to cover virtual dedicaced servers as well but I cant vouch for how those compare to mainstream webhosting companies'.

palhanow

Enthusiast
Hello guys,

Just a quick feedback.

Following the general recommendation around here, I decided to migrate to KnownHost.

I will give a better post about this, but i can tell that was the best thing i did for my business since ditching Wordpress and bought AMS from Bob.

Geez $120 a month!
I just started my site on a $120 a year plan!
Do you make enough on your site to pay for this?
Yeap. Thank God.

Regularly upselling is a sign of shady dealings. A proper provider should normally serve better performance at not extra cost.
Yeah, and after some time i managed to feel this 'upselling' thing without any improvement on my performance.

Unfurtunally i took too long to migrate. That's very sad but I can get over it.