Yearly or Monthly?

• Monthly

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Philpug

Participant
We will be keeping free access and being able to create a user. Paid will be reduced ads (no Google)...

1633381876320.png

I was thinking $30/yr or $3/mo? Should it be more?

We are open to suggestions.

Philpug

Participant
We have about a dozen people doing a monthy "Supporter" now, I was thinging yearly too, but our IT guy said to look into monthly, that is why I am asking.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
We have about a dozen people doing a monthy "Supporter" now, I was thinging yearly too, but our IT guy said to look into monthly, that is why I am asking.

In terms of payment options I'd offer both monthly and yearly, with yearly at a more attractive rate. I can't really comment much on the amount without knowing a lot more about your board but I do agree with KimmiKat, subscribers should be ad free.

Alpha1

Administrator
I was thinking $30/yr or $3/mo? Should it be more?
You know your users best. 3 a month sounds as really low to me. I use 9.50 a month and 80 a year. The price is of course dependent on how much value you can add for your premium members. What real value in terms of useful functionality, access to useful information, status can you give them. Your list doesnt sound appealing to me. How about a blog for premium members. Life refreshing content? Chat? Coupons for popular brands? Competitions/Giveaways? Whatever features that are in demand with your premium members.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Better do yearly, with the first one discounted.
Say -50% off, wether for everyone's first payment, on a countdown (get premium within the next 30 days and it'll be cheap!) or depending on criterias like activity level. For example, with subs getting cheaper the more you post or senior your account is (honestly people long inactive should be converted to active posters and payers even at no gain), or the opposite (first year is full price, next years are cheaper to entice people to keep renewing).

A discount gives more value to the original amount asked for, but you could also consider a pay what you want formula, with a public 'ranking' of people's total or yearly premium sub+donation payments so as to encourage 'competitive spending'. You might end positively surprised with a few members exceeding your regular amount even if they arent very active or have any use for the perks you offer premium members.

As for the amount, personally I feel 15-20$/year hits the sweet spot if it comes with just site-only perks and pride (as in, no freebies offered or discounted goodies). You ought starting gaining more paying supporters deciding to give that first dollar, not squeezing harder a smaller number.
Car community visitors and vendors tend to liberally spend so you could get away charging more, in tiers accomodating members' spending potential (if too many use your classifieds, you can sell 'visibility' to those paying for the higher premium tier and they'll evaluate themselves wether it makes sense for them financially).

Fait

Participant
I use Xenforo so I’ve got the account upgrades feature I’ve got a monthly, annually and semi-annually option so it’s flexible to the user.

thumped

Neophyte
Definitely do both. We do €3/month or €30/year. Originally I had subs = no ads, but the the arse completely fell out of the ad market, and google ads weren’t worth the time, so now people just subscribe because they want to.

ab7fh

Enthusiast
I offer both monthly and yearly. Some people only join to find answers to specific questions and problems. Once they are done, they are gone. Even with the monthly option available, the majority of my subscriptions are yearly. I charge $5 a month, or $20 per year.

cdub24

Enthusiast
Definitely do both. We do €3/month or €30/year. Originally I had subs = no ads, but the the arse completely fell out of the ad market, and google ads weren’t worth the time, so now people just subscribe because they want to.
Yes I drop kicked murdered all ads on my site 2 years ago and switched to 100% community supported and it's going quite well. Making WAY more money than I did from ads.

However - you get access to proprietary data when you become a supporting member - so it's worth it to people.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Yes I drop kicked murdered all ads on my site 2 years ago and switched to 100% community supported and it's going quite well. Making WAY more money than I did from ads.

However - you get access to proprietary data when you become a supporting member - so it's worth it to people.
Curious about your conversion, I hope you dont mind questions.

Did ads really pay that little or less than before?
Are members renewing their subscription payments in sufficient numbers (if its not too soon to tell)?
Are non-paying members getting benefits from the community going exclusively member-funded?

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator

How would this differ from having a no ad upgrade option?

cdub24

Enthusiast
Did ads really pay that little or less than before?
Yes they paid crap. In my site's heyday in the 00s it would make up to 800/month and before I killed ads maybe 80.

With memberships (I only recently added subscription vs one time) I'm back to the heyday revenue.
Are members renewing their subscription payments in sufficient numbers (if its not too soon to tell)?
Too early to tell. Just added recurring in July with the minimum term of 3 months. But so far so good. My site is extremely seasonal though and because of it's nature people are only usually active members for only a year.
Are non-paying members getting benefits from the community going exclusively member-funded?
Yes. With the income we've been able to develop new features and hire writers for articles.
How would this differ from having a no ad upgrade option?
Because ads suck balls and the user experience has gotten so much better without them for everyone.

Plus I've found that some are more inclined to becomes Supporting Members if that is our only source of income. Or at least I like to think that might be a possibility.

cdub24

Enthusiast
What's everyone charge for their upgrades?

I currently charge $10 for 3 months and $20 for a year which is super cheap. We also have a lifetime option for $50. Things are going well and I'm finally not having to pump my own $$$$ into the site every year. Thinking the price is still too low for my sites exclusive content and data.

Thinking of boosting significantly to $9.99/month and $59.99 or $99.99 a year.

My site is literally the only place I know of with the exclusive data and content so there's value.

ab7fh

Enthusiast
I charge $5 per month or $20 per year. I have done a 2 for 1 deal every year for the past 10 or so. The regulars love that and I have members who are paid up into the 2030s. They just keep adding to their time each year. :D