VPS OVH VPS (SSD 2) for MineCraft?

tekboi

XF Student
So, I've decided upon buying a VPS for my communities MC server. OVH seems to have decent prices. Does anybody here have experience with their classic VPS servers?

It will be a small server with maybe 10 players max. The main concern is the initial setup. It's unmanaged like all OVH servers are. And I'm not sure where to start. Not sure what distro of linux to install. Not sure what I need to do afterwards in order to start dropping my MC files onto the server for instillation. I don't think I will need cPanel or anything like that. But being able to back up the server would be great.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
So, I've decided upon buying a VPS for my communities MC server. OVH seems to have decent prices. Does anybody here have experience with their classic VPS servers?
Not direct, but I've helped move some folks away from them to other VPS's or actual dedicated servers.
I'm not into MineCraft, so would have to check to see what OS they "prefer". I'd install that and then go from there. If I remember correctly, the MC servers are Java based, so any OS that will support it should work. It comes down to personal preference on the OS as to which you find easier to administer. If you have no exposure to Linux server administration, then I'd recommend having someone that does install/secure the VPS itself for you.
Some of the recommendations I have seen show (for the best play) a minimum of 5GB RAM for 8-12 players - and that doesn't include the OS memory requirements.
In all honesty - instead of a VPS I'd go into something like a SoYouStart smaller dedicated server for a little more. If going with a VPS from them, I'd look at the VPS-SSD3

HybridVM

HybridVM - Dedicated Hosting

It will be a small server with maybe 10 players max. The main concern is the initial setup. It's unmanaged like all OVH servers are. And I'm not sure where to start. Not sure what distro of linux to install. Not sure what I need to do afterwards in order to start dropping my MC files onto the server for instillation. I don't think I will need cPanel or anything like that. But being able to back up the server would be great.

Google up some control panels for gaming. I noticed you said players would you be referring to minecraft? If so https://www.mcmyadmin.com/ is a great place to start I believe it uses any type of Linux OS I prefer Debian or CentOS over all the others but that is a good start. Also OVH has some of its own custom Operating Systems Pre Made for your use. If your going to be splitting them into smaller VPS's and then installing panels on then id say use proxmox OVH has it already ready to install with GUI. Good luck on your venture.

tekboi

XF Student
So, to update you guys. I ended up getting the server. I'm working with centOS and had to learn a lot about linux server administration in order to get it going. But now everything is setup and working. I understand a lot of the essential commands that I have to use. I understand screens and how they work. It's also convenient that I can use kvm to manage the server while I'm at work.

The server seems to be nice and fast for what we need it for. As the popularity of the server grows. I will start considering dedicated options. OVH seems to offer a minecraft specific solution for $79.99/month. That might be an option for us in the future, even though I really don't want to pay that much monthly.

PS, we did go with VPS-SSD3 actually.

Last edited: