Overboard moderation

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Wiping out entire multi-page threads that were allowed to go on for days, rather than pruning whatever the offending post(s) at the end which triggered the moderation action, smacks of heavy handedness.

When things like that happen, it will cause reluctance to post. Why take part in a topic when it might be removed out after days of committing time to it?

TLChris

Administrator
I assume you are referring to the climate thread. Sometimes, it's much easier to have a thread deleted as private, while it's being cleaned up.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I assume you are referring to the climate thread. Sometimes, it's much easier to have a thread deleted as private, while it's being cleaned up.
Agree then you can sit down and read without anything being added.

FTL

Adherent
So, it's gonna come back in censored / cleaned up form? I hope so, otherwise I have to agree with mysiteguy

I can tell you it was started as a troll thread to try and get at me as I called him out on a ridiculously false claim that climate change is due to the declining orbit of the moon. I've got the whole thing on my forum, where it happened, in public. If you want to look, I can supply the link in public or private. I've linked to a couple of times on TAZ already.

The moon's orbital decline thread was started for similar reasons.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Agree then you can sit down and read without anything being added.

I used to do that myself, and other behind-the-scenes moderation, until I received complaints. The same thing can be accomplished without leaving users wondering what happened by locking the thread. You should be able to still post as an admin/moderator. Post that the thread is locked while it undergoes moderation. Moderate it, remove the notice and unlock. :)

Last edited: