Opinions

Anonymous

Habitué
Hey guys,

So I needed an add on recently coded for my forum, and I reached out to a popular developer. I told the developer what I needed, and he pretty much started giving his opinion on why he think it's not needed. After giving the reasoning for it, the developer continued to give his opinion and overall shoot it down in the light that he think its not needed and doesn't need to be coded.

I get that the developer can refuse to code an addon since they would be coding it, but in my opinion it's a bit rude how he supplants his opinion to be what solely matters and thus won't do it for you.

zappaDPJ

I might do and have done the same up to a point. If I thought there was a better way I would probably discuss it with you but after that I'm going to take your money :)

If I were you I'd go with another developer because it sounds like the relationship you have with this one might be doomed from the start.

Anonymous

Habitué
I might do and have done the same up to a point. If I thought there was a better way I would probably discuss it with you but after that I'm going to take your money :)

If I were you I'd go with another developer because it sounds like the relationship you have with this one might be doomed from the start.
Nope, seemed like he wouldn't even want to develop it even for money. It's really looking like because he feels like it's not needed, it's not worth developing, free or paid. That's where my problem lies. Rather than respectfully saying I do not wish to code it, he throws his opinions into the mix and runs with that as the deciding factor.

zappaDPJ

Nope, seemed like he wouldn't even want to develop it even for money. It's really looking like because he feels like it's not needed, it's not worth developing, free or paid. That's where my problem lies. Rather than respectfully saying I do not wish to code it, he throws his opinions into the mix and runs with that as the deciding factor.

That's why I'm suggesting you try and find another developer :)

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Like zappaDPJ says, I'd just call it a day with that dev and move on to another. While he's entitled to his opinion on whether or not what you want is necessary, it's not really relevant to whether he can code it or not. If he doesn't want to code it for whatever reason (in this case, I'm guessing because he doesn't see the point) then just find another dev and talk to them. Most of the devs I know don't talk about whether they think what is wanted is practical, they're being paid to supply something you want, not something they want.

Anonymous

Habitué
Like zappaDPJ says, I'd just call it a day with that dev and move on to another. While he's entitled to his opinion on whether or not what you want is necessary, it's not really relevant to whether he can code it or not. If he doesn't want to code it for whatever reason (in this case, I'm guessing because he doesn't see the point) then just find another dev and talk to them. Most of the devs I know don't talk about whether they think what is wanted is practical, they're being paid to supply something you want, not something they want.

There wasn't money being mentioned in our conversation, but normally because they do it for the community. I'm looking for someone else, but I agree with what you said.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
There wasn't money being mentioned in our conversation, but normally because they do it for the community. I'm looking for someone else, but I agree with what you said.

I generally develop products for vB 4.2.x for free, and I have declined suggestions because I personally felt the ideas wouldn't be useful in general, that is, to people other than that one person. But that doesn't mean people aren't free to find someone who will code their ideas. :tup:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
An assumption on my part, my bad :)

Matthew S

Adherent
Maybe the dev is right and they're trying to tell you that you're throwing your money away? :ninja:

Maddox

Habitué
One of the most basic fundamental aspects of dealing with people's opinions is that it's their view; if your view is the same then you land on a mutual platform that you're willing to share. However, when someone attempts to 'force' their opinions on you and you disagree, then it's time to move because you will never be able to share the same platform with them.

For a lot of people their stance is "See I'd like to share your point of view, as long as it's my view too" this simply leads to a conflict of interests. Time to find yourself a new Developer who listens to YOUR needs and not his/her own.

;)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Speaking as someone who is a developer by trade and has been for a number of years, the customer really isn't always right. Too many times I've warned them about the consequences of building things, built it anyway and then everything I predicted came true.

So now if this kind of disagreement happens, I don't take the job. Better for everyone.

Mind you I also don't like cleaning up other peoples' messes...

Gordon_Ramsay

Enthusiast
Speaking as someone who is a developer by trade and has been for a number of years, the customer really isn't always right. Too many times I've warned them about the consequences of building things, built it anyway and then everything I predicted came true.

So now if this kind of disagreement happens, I don't take the job. Better for everyone.

Mind you I also don't like cleaning up other peoples' messes...
I'm not quite sure about what OP wants, but if the customer wants to take the risk, isn't that on them? If a Developer doesn't want to code it, they can respectfully decline, but leave the fallout to the customer.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I'm not quite sure about what OP wants, but if the customer wants to take the risk, isn't that on them? If a Developer doesn't want to code it, they can respectfully decline, but leave the fallout to the customer.
I think this hits the nail on the head, for me. Everyone has opinions, and if a dev thinks that an addon could cause potential damage elsewhere (maybe conflicts or breaking something) then I can understand them trying to talk the client out of it. If it's because the addon is redundant (as in it performs an action that's already available without extending it or making it better) then, again, I can understand them trying to talk the client out of it. But if it's simply because the dev personally doesn't feel the site needs it, then it's not their call to make. At that point, they probably should just go with "it's not something I want to code" and leave it there. It's just good manners :D

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
That people have an opinion is good but if you are approached by a client that whants you to develop an add-on then you need to be professionel. You either accept to make it or you decline and give the reason why after that you should stop.

mattchew

Enthusiast
While I'll normally agree that a developer should just build something for the client regardless of what their opinion is, which I have done many times, I don't think that applies to this situation.

OP specifically says that there wasn't a mention of money, which sounds a lot like they were asking a developer to make something for free. And in turn, it's every bit appropriate for the developer to turn them down because there's no point in them developing an add-on for a single person. I would have done the same in the situation. Of course if the idea was to pay them for the add-on that's a totally different scenario.

Anonymous

Habitué
While I'll normally agree that a developer should just build something for the client regardless of what their opinion is, which I have done many times, I don't think that applies to this situation.

OP specifically says that there wasn't a mention of money, which sounds a lot like they were asking a developer to make something for free. And in turn, it's every bit appropriate for the developer to turn them down because there's no point in them developing an add-on for a single person. I would have done the same in the situation. Of course if the idea was to pay them for the add-on that's a totally different scenario.

I would have been fine if he released it to the community, it's nothing that would make a forum unique or special.

mattchew

Enthusiast
I would have been fine if he released it to the community, it's nothing that would make a forum unique or special.

But you are asking a developer to donate their time and build something for free. His reasoning is perfectly legitimate. He doesn't see the need to develop something, and since there's no money involved, there's absolutely no incentive for him. I can't say that in his position, given the circumstances, I would have disagreed with him.