One Step Away From A Revolution In Forums...

fixer

I'm In My Prime
its not the member map

member location on registration and near me alerts to other members

is the game changer

fixer

I'm In My Prime
YES!!!! Here is a member reaching out to another... this is what networking is

B66B4A5F-F04C-4038-BCE8-C692E64306CA.jpeg

Alfa1

Administrator
As long as there is a setting that allows you to turn it on or off, I don't see the problem. It depends on the site.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I wouldn't call this a revolutionary feature, though I can see it being a useful one to some sites, such as fixer's. Offsetting it is the fact that in most of the world, privacy rules don't permit you to require members provide their location or any other personal information, making the value of this feature limited.

Even so, any feature that can generate increased interest and participation in forum sites is a good one, in my opinion, and I'm glad it's working out.

And if nothing else, this feature will make it even easier for your government to catalogue and track members activities.

cheat_master30

I wouldn't call this a revolutionary feature, though I can see it being a useful one to some sites, such as fixer's. Offsetting it is the fact that in most of the world, privacy rules don't permit you to require members provide their location or any other personal information, making the value of this feature limited.

Even so, any feature that can generate increased interest and participation in forum sites is a good one, in my opinion, and I'm glad it's working out.

And if nothing else, this feature will make it even easier for your government to catalogue and track members activities.
Something that's amusingly appropriate given the site this is likely about is based around running a militia. Like a prepper forum, it's one of those situations where you'd think this sort of feature is both a perfect fit and a huge security risk all at the same time.

But yes, it's definitely very much a feature that fits certain types of forums more than others. A forum about outdoorsy topics or that involves members meeting in real life could benefit here, but I doubt the average gaming/film/TV/media forum would do so.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
gaming/film/TV/media forum
practically every type you never mentioned

atv, off roading, fishing, hunting, anything outdoors, anything recreational, car clubs, sports etc etc etc etc

so basically anything you are not sitting on your couch

and as for the “watch list” :rolleyes: militias are not illegal my unit has local sheriff and high way patrol officers

this is on a whole other level than rednecks with guns

Last edited:

fixer

I'm In My Prime
one of my staff members suggested having a body guard uber

where for instance some dirt bag is beating up on a women she can pick up her phone and minutes later has a friend.. a rather intimidating one

or branch out into private security services like a Fiverr for badasses

zappaDPJ

Administrator
curious as to what the security risk is?
I see it as a multifaceted risk, from within and from outside agencies.

Your site is now helping to further facilitate off-site meetings between people with a particular mindset. In any group there is always the possibility of someone with bad intentions in mind and this function might help further those bad intentions. It's happened before on forum based platforms and resulted in the worst possible outcome. In that regard you might want to consider your own position as site owner/facilitator.

In addition I would have thought the nature of your forum makes it likely to attract attention from law enforcers. Do you really want to provide them with information that might link members geographically?

I'm not suggesting this level of functionality won't benefit your site and I maybe overreacting to the potential danger but since you asked, I thought it only right to share my concerns.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
and again nothing on the site is illegal, the thoughts are not illegal, the act is not illegal.

now consider that as fact and re-read your post above.

you have implied fear only because of your opinion and not facts.

If you would re-consider with a new perspective of what i have mentioned you will surly acknowledge how you have skewed your feelings based on an opinion void of facts

fixer

I'm In My Prime
To any Americans on here please know...

Law-abiding American citizens who are participating in legal activities shall never be fearful of government reprisal.

If you are living in fear tyranny has already won.

The rights to a militia are spelled out in our constitution and the rights to protect ourselves are spelled out in the bible.

We don’t need anyones permission. Politicians work for us they do not rule us.

This is what makes America great. It is hard for outsiders to understand. I don’t expect them too, Quite frankly it scares them.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
and again nothing on the site is illegal, the thoughts are not illegal, the act is not illegal.

now consider that as fact and re-read your post above.

you have implied fear only because of your opinion and not facts.

If you would re-consider with a new perspective of what i have mentioned you will surly acknowledge how you have skewed your feelings based on an opinion void of facts
That's actually not the case at all. Perhaps this will give you a better idea of what I'm suggesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Doe_No._14_v._Internet_Brands,_Inc.

A site can be entirely legal but still end up in trouble because of the actions of a member. If I were to implement this function I would be sure to have a warning, disclaimer and tick-box in order to protect myself should the need arise.

fixer

I'm In My Prime

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Thanks for your concern, we are undergoing a re-write of our privacy policy and have a team of lawyers pulling the strings ;)

Will share the finished results they work slow tho.

If location is required you have a right to not join the site, you cant join without a location

puts me in mind of Bioshock Infinite where people refused to play because you have to get baptized in game in order to enter the city

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
That's actually not the case at all. Perhaps this will give you a better idea of what I'm suggesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Doe_No._14_v._Internet_Brands,_Inc.

A site can be entirely legal but still end up in trouble because of the actions of a member. If I were to implement this function I would be sure to have a warning, disclaimer and tick-box in order to protect myself should the need arise.
In February 2012, they were sentenced to 12 consecutive life terms in prison.
How do you serve 12 consecutive life terms? Are they vampires? lol