One Step Away From A Revolution In Forums...

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Facebook is spanking us!! Wake up!!

This will change it all.....

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/454988-new-member-near-me-notification/

New Members Near Me Notification

By combining the Members Map add-on with the Members location add-on and now what i hope to be Notifications on new members near me.

1. User location on registration is required - Download this file
  2. Member Map is active - View File
  3. MISSING PIECE (NOTIFICATION OF NEW MEMBER CLOSE TO ME)
  4. Members set a criteria of when to be notified 50/100/500 Miles
  5. New member joins and notification goes out

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 1.15.51 PM.png

area.jpg

whitetigergrowl

Aspirant
I've been saying it for awhile. Things like this when used properly can be of a benefit to forums. IPB really needs to lead the way on that. I mean they lead in other areas, but sometimes it's the simple things like this that can have the biggest impact.

Personally I think profiles leave much to be desired and for most people serve no real purpose or use so they just sit there taking up space. It's time to re-imagine them. Amongst other areas. And make them more socially focused with actual use.

This above is a nice example. I think the big pins are a bit much. But smaller dots or something I think would be more effective and less cluttered. And if there are a bunch of people in an area while zoomed out, they just make a bigger merged dot that breaks down as you zoom in.

Simple things. ;)

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I've been saying it for awhile. Things like this when used properly can be of a benefit to forums. IPB really needs to lead the way on that. I mean they lead in other areas, but sometimes it's the simple things like this that can have the biggest impact.

Personally I think profiles leave much to be desired and for most people serve no real purpose or use so they just sit there taking up space. It's time to re-imagine them. Amongst other areas. And make them more socially focused with actual use.

This above is a nice example. I think the big pins are a bit much. But smaller dots or something I think would be more effective and less cluttered. And if there are a bunch of people in an area while zoomed out, they just make a bigger merged dot that breaks down as you zoom in.

Simple things. ;)
I turned off clustering just for the photo to show many people this is how the map really is...

https://www.mymilitia.com/membermap/ (guests can't see members)

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 3.21.48 PM.png

Last edited:

Noble

Participant
Im having trouble with google maps getting it to work on IPS, no matter what i put in for the Public key and the secret key it shows red.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
It can be tricky to configure at the start

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Im having trouble with google maps getting it to work on IPS, no matter what i put in for the Public key and the secret key it shows red.
The members map add on does not use google maps

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Clickbait title lol

I personally like my privacy, this reminds me too much of the map in Forumotion, which I always thought was a bit much. This might be okay for some kinds of communities.

sbjsbj

Fan
It is a nice thing for user experience, but a "game changing" thing would be about content, not about users.

We already lost the fight against social media. They will always deliver better methods in "connecting to people". A member map won't change anything.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
It is a nice thing for user experience, but a "game changing" thing would be about content, not about users.

We already lost the fight against social media. They will always deliver better methods in "connecting to people". A member map won't change anything.
the member map is not what the game changer is there has been member maps for years

the game changer is requiring location on registration and having notifications sent when a new member joins near you

that is the game changer and that is what will take the majority of niche communities to the next level and add functionality that facebook does not have

sbjsbj

Fan
You would need the consent of the user, if you did such a thing.
And that kind of feature would only be useful to those forum owners, who would have a local forum or some sort of social forum.

Also requiring location will scare away a lot of potential registrations. I hate it when sites ask for my birthdate or location. I never give the correct data to them.

So, even if you required it, it will open a lot of fake data giving fake alerts and it will only annoy people.

One perhaps could do if that could check if the IP upon registration matches the area of one claims to be. But that opens also a lot of other problems.

Even if everything worked perfectly and every single user of yours provided that information, I still don't see the game changing level of it as long as this feature is not embedded to the forums' own app, which all of us don't have. Such social features have the best chance to thrive with the adequate social device, so called smartphones, which 99% people use it for social things.

Good luck :D.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
GEOIP is on most forum software by default ....so you already know the location of your user or close

I have required location on log in for over a year

my site is a forum/community/network it’s strength is it’s ability to connect people

user location is a key element when generating a connection

Like a dating website wouldn’t be much good with no locations

Noble

Participant
for many sites with something like this the user can opt out of having their location advertised in public but a great feature for social sites.

sbjsbj

Fan
GEOIP is on most forum software by default ....so you already know the location of your user or close
Yes, IP can be seen by admins. But you cannot just publish people's IP addresses on the internet, just because you feel like it. Specially in Europe it counts as a private information. You need their explicit consent that you will use their IP (or their manually entering the place they live in) for your website.

That I'm knowing the IP as an admin is a one thing, that the location of the person becoming public a whole another matter.

I have required location on log in for over a year

my site is a forum/community/network it’s strength is it’s ability to connect people
As I said, this "revolution", if that is one, would only work for such specific niches.

user location is a key element when generating a connection

Like a dating website wouldn’t be much good with no locations
I agree, but not all sites are dating sites. So just because it applies to your case, it doesn't mean it applies to all of us. There is nothing revolutionizing about it, just a neat feature for some cases.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
I said most niche sites somewhere :)

When on XF the users had to opt out , I pulled geoip and forced a pin on the map , the developer was xenfactory iirc loved it!

the invision map developer refuses to pull geoip for privacy concerns as mentioned here

so I force users to submit location on registration for many many reasons including security ..why would someone in California try to join a group in Ohio? that does not fly with us. I have a serious platform based on serious matters if you do not want to divulge your location don’t use the site because it is of no use of anyone to not know where you are (in our case)

We do have it all laid out in the privacy policy

anyway having and sharing willingly users locations can be a game changer for what I feel is the majority of online communities ... maybe even many many more than you may initially think?

for example TAZ here is a global community and location does not matter, is TAZ a niche forum? I’m not sure about that

Just about any community with clubs would benefit from locations hints that invision has a big map on top of its clubs section locale seems to matter to me in most all niche sites

Facebook flips a switch and enables member locators and shuts down 99% of all dating websites and 1/2 of the remaining forums clinging on to what’s left

as with Uber and other advances you have no privacy the future strives in ways that removes your perception of privacy exploitation of the human Psyche is where the future is, targeted ads based on your tendency’s big brother is watching .... in 50 years we won’t leave our houses for any reason we will go to a closet in our house and log into a robot somewhere and control it to complete a job

the problem with lack of innovation is the refusal to look at the big picture and step outside the box, forums are dead they will never come back, our sites must adapt into something else and we should be looking at what social media does not or can not do and go at it full boar

fixer

I'm In My Prime
On second thought if I found out there was a TAZ member with in 50 miles of my location it may make for an interesting conversation at a local bar so even a forum like this could benefit from a locator

sbjsbj

Fan
forums are dead they will never come back
our sites must adapt into something else
we should be looking at what social media does not or can not do and go at it full boar

I agree on the first part, I also agree on the second part, but I don't agree with the last part.

Again, you will never be able to compete with billion dollar companies. They will always do it better than you. Our forum technologies lack the basic most thing, called phone apps. So, from the start, if you cannot be in a smartphone, no matter what you do, you have lost the fight before it started. Even, if we had a basic phone app of our own forums, will it also support our custom developed stuff? So, there needs so much more innovation and development before we can even start talking about competing with them. This is why we are dead and this is why we have to adapt. But:

If I want to date, why use a dating forum, if I can use a dating app? If I want to communicate with a vendor, why search that vendor on a forum, if I can look it up on Facebook? If I want to rant about the latest Apple product, why use a forum and not Twitter? If I want to showcase by booties, why use a forum, if I can do it on Instagram?

So, we should focus on stuff what we can provide, instead of trying to be a 4th grade mock (imitation) of something.

What we can offer is information. We all have specific content related to a specific niche.
Wikipedia can offer passive information. So, you visit, you look something up, and you leave. No interaction.
Social Media offers social experience, it lives in the moment. Have you ever checked out what someone tweeted 116 days ago? Your Facebook friends, why are they registered on there? To have a discussion about the latest advancement in spaceship technologies? Or do they just want to be able to contact you, if they need it?
We can offer active information. When your PC has a virus, you can't find the solution on Wikipedia. And no Twitter account, no Facebook friend, no Instagram account will help you to solve your virus problem. Only an expert can do it. So you either go to a shop and pay or you find all kind of experts on that niche in a forum.

So imagine that forum about viruses and malware having a very good system about saving such information about the solutions how to solve the problem. We need to focus on that, about how we can offer content in a better way in our niches and how to get that content. Your forum is about militias (not sure what that is exactly). But I believe they are into guns and such things. How about you would have a wiki about guns and where you can get such guns close to the area your members live? Is that displayed on the member map? Like shooting ranges? Or like meetups? You have to build that kind of information.

So if I search "Alabama shooting ranges" then your forum should come up in the search and people can find the next shooting ranges in Alabama. While doing that, since your site is a forum also, they will find members and closeminded people. So, the social experience between them is 2nd tier. First, you have to lure them to your site and for that you need information to lure. Nobody ever will google "membermap Alabama militia", but they will google "Alabama shooting range".
And then if they land on your site, a secondary feature a membermap can be used, but first you need the information about shooting ranges in your site, so Google can crawl it and offer it to people.

Last edited:

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Facebook flips a switch and enables member locators and shuts down 99% of all dating websites and 1/2 of the remaining forums clinging on to what’s left

as with Uber and other advances you have no privacy the future strives in ways that removes your perception of privacy exploitation of the human Psyche is where the future is, targeted ads based on your tendency’s big brother is watching .... in 50 years we won’t leave our houses for any reason we will go to a closet in our house and log into a robot somewhere and control it to complete a job
Facebook has been beleagured by privacy scandal for the past two years and have even been hit by a pretty hefty fine. They also made a deal with the government after receiving a big fine.

For the next decade or so, they will be audited by government agencies to ensure they're living up to privacy standards, Zuckerberg is no longer the sole privacy decision maker of the company and all decisions must go through a privacy committee. There were some others as-well, but Facebook very much cannot make privacy breaking moves right now.