'One billion' affected by Yahoo hack

• Admin

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Yahoo has said more than one billion user accounts may have been affected in a hacking attack dating back to 2013.

The internet giant said it appears separate from a breach disclosed in September, when Yahoo revealed some 500 million accounts were accessed in 2014.

Yahoo said names, phone numbers, passwords and email addresses were stolen, but not bank and payment data.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38324527

bogie

Participant
and i bet 90%+ users use the same username and password on all sites, so how hard is it to search for a username and try the password! Unlikely they even needed the bank details.

Companies like Yahoo should be taken offline when they have breaches like that and dont notice for years!! All that money they could have saved on security if they had simply not bothered using any, oh sorry they didnt use any....

CMOBOSS

All About Da-Cookies.
and i bet 90%+ users use the same username and password on all sites, so how hard is it to search for a username and try the password! Unlikely they even needed the bank details.

Companies like Yahoo should be taken offline when they have breaches like that and dont notice for years!! All that money they could have saved on security if they had simply not bothered using any, oh sorry they didnt use any....
so, poor management is what we're in agreement of.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Is there even any reason to keep using Yahoo services? I cant believe anyone still trusts it for anything exceptionnel redirecting email to other proviseurs. Flickr is still okay but concentrating too many unrelated services under a single umbrella makes all of them vulnerable with a single point of failure.

Maybe Yahoo should reverse its expansion, shelf unpopular services and focus back on its original strengths (email primarly).

Num7

Adherent
That's unbelievable... Can't believe I almost chose them instead of GmaGmailmany years ago. I'm glad I didn't.

BrandonSheley

loving life
Is there even any reason to keep using Yahoo services?
a large margority of the older people I know are big yahoo fans. They have it as their home page, see all the news ect.
...but concentrating too many unrelated services under a single umbrella makes all of them vulnerable with a single point of failure.
Like Gmail? Google Docs, drive, photos, contacts etc..

Maybe Yahoo should reverse its expansion, shelf unpopular services and focus back on its original strengths (email primarly).
Yahoo was started as a news portal in 95, email was added in 97.
Yahoo should have sold for $44,000,000,000 when Microsoft offered to buy them ;)

Gus

Enthusiast
Glad I had a unique password on my yahoo account. They can take that stolen data and do nothing with it.