Suggestion "Old Board" Banner

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
Having a big board is a great achievement, and one that TAZ is right to recognize. But so is having a board that has managed to survive for a long time while staying active. My suggestion is a simple one: Establish a process for owners of boards that are over a decade old to claim membership in a forum usergroup that would give them a forum banner in the manner of "Big Board." Maybe "Old board" or something similar.

The Sandman

Administrator
Interesting! It is a big achievement after all. And it could certainly be done. Hmm...

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I admit ten years is arbitrary but it's a nice round number and the line would have to be drawn somewhere clearly.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Ahhh yeah, I missed that (I'm doing the ultimate in multi-tasking right now :D)

What if a site has only managed to hit the 10 year mark by merging two or three sites together? I personally wouldn't view that as an achievement :)

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
If we wanted to get technical about it, we could say
  • Proof could be submitted in the form of a link showing example old posts, and example new posts that show the forum remains active.
  • For merged communities, the forum's recognized age is the age of the oldest forum that was still active at the time of the merge. Forum ages do not stack.
Altari I started my first Star Army-related forum in 2000 but the first actual "Star Army" forum didn't come until 2002, IIRC. In between those times I was in Army training. So the Star Army forums started at Network54, then moved to ezBoard, then phpBB2 on my server, then phpBB3, and now we've just hit our first year on XenForo. Due to XenForo's importers, we've managed to keep most of the phpBB era posts so I've got posts on my forum from as far back as 2004 when we first moved away from ezBoard (which later became Yuku). So the short answer is "sort of" but I'd say 12 years, technically, for the actual community and 10 years for the actual forum as in the database.

Phillip

The Priest
If we wanted to get technical about it, we could say
  • Proof could be submitted in the form of a link showing example old posts, and example new posts that show the forum remains active.
  • For merged communities, the forum's recognized age is the age of the oldest forum that was still active at the time of the merge. Forum ages do not stack.
Altari I started my first Star Army-related forum in 2000 but the first actual "Star Army" forum didn't come until 2002, IIRC. In between those times I was in Army training. So the Star Army forums started at Network54, then moved to ezBoard, then phpBB2 on my server, then phpBB3, and now we've just hit our first year on XenForo. Due to XenForo's importers, we've managed to keep most of the phpBB era posts so I've got posts on my forum from as far back as 2004 when we first moved away from ezBoard (which later became Yuku). So the short answer is "sort of" but I'd say 12 years, technically, for the actual community and 10 years for the actual forum as in the database.

That is awesome. I mean keeping a forum going that long with different ends and outs of it, converting and whatnot. I do that a lot.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Hmmm. I suppose if I were old as original sin - I'd want recognition for the fact as well :p

I'm teasing. But Wes of StarArmy -- I think your suggestion is great actually. Seniority is something I think all we webmasters and webmistresses can appreciate. Longevity (10+ years) and bigboard status in the webgame, as illusive as both can be, are milestones to be proud of and honored. Nice suggestion!

J.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
What if a site has only managed to hit the 10 year mark by merging two or three sites together?
Even if a forum grew in size and had its oldest post altered, the earliest age of the domain would make it blatant (unless the main site itself changed domain early).

While at it, such an achievement may benefit from a size threshold as well. Say a minimum 50.000-100.000 posts (we're talking 10 years after all, the least it could reward is boards that stayed active).

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Even if a forum grew in size and had its oldest post altered, the earliest age of the domain would make it blatant (unless the main site itself changed domain early).
That wasn't my point though. It's easy to import an older database of a dead site - where's the achievement in doing that?

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
Well, I suggested that it only counts if at least one of the merged forums was continuously active until the merge. Of course this could be hard to "prove" 100% either way. Could someone alter their database/use merges to look older than they are? Yes. Realistically, we will probably have to accept some people would game the system because it's not worth TAZ staff's time to attempt to verify each forum's claims in detail and we should not expect that of TAZ staff. But let's keep it in perspective: it's just a forum banner, and doesn't grant any special perks.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I'd contend that arguably, if one's to assign some 10-boarder badge to users, it should be admins or owners whose tenure actually reached 10 years, not their boards.
A decade's adminship (as opposed to just ownership) would confirm a continued existence of 10 years, acceptably including the scenario of merged forums (tenure on the old + tenure on the potentially combined one).

IMO it would be a better metric as a decade's length sees a lot of admins. Are we to grant a boards whole lineup an accomplishment badge, even recent admins whose entire accomplishment may constitute no more than flattering the right people or being 'temps' easily taken in?

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
If we went by admin and not by the forum, the "old board" title wouldn't make sense because it could be someone who was admin for over ten years but on a series of flash-in-the-pan forums.

What'd like to see is recognition for an admin who took one board and stuck with it and kept it going no matter what came along. Ideally, the admin would have to be ten years of tenure AND the forum would have to be that old, too.

Though there's something to be said about being an admin who has managed to keep a board alive after it changed hands. That's an accomplishment of its own, though.

Last edited:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Currently we're trying to work out a better way of showing the existing banners to stop it being so heavy. Once we've managed that, we'll consider further additions :)