Official Style Feedback Thread

GTB

Tazmanian
Look at this one, the number 187 box. There is no padding at all, while all others using single numbers look OK.

5.PNG

It seems to be inconsistent as though no padding is used for left and right, and in some areas single numbers look OK, while in other areas they look wrong (like in my other screen-shot posted).

3-png.10397

Last edited:

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
GTB, link to that thread?

I'm not seeing the padding issue, but I am on FF 28, having steadfastly refused to touch 29.
I accidentally updated mine and couldn't bother downgrading to FF 27 again. It isn't bad once you install something called "Old Firefox" onto it. It makes it look like the old one. Behaves nearly the same way too.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
GTB, link to that thread?

I accidentally updated mine and couldn't bother downgrading to FF 27 again. It isn't bad once you install something called "Old Firefox" onto it. It makes it look like the old one. Behaves nearly the same way too.
Yeah, at work it got forced on me and I managed to get some sort of "old style" skin to cover it.

If I wanted Chrome I'd use it (although I do have it installed).

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Yeah, at work it got forced on me and I managed to get some sort of "old style" skin to cover it.

If I wanted Chrome I'd use it (although I do have it installed).
Exactly, but Chrome is horrible with its memory usage. Saw it taking up 22 GB of RAM the other day. I do like ho FF 29 handle JS intensive pages, but I do not like the new color of the debugging tool. I preferred the dark blue look it had.

Because the look is just like Chrome and you can't easily move buttons around.

Not quite true. I don't know what you've installed for the old look, but mine allows everything to moved around. I can't even tell it's FF 29 aside from the new bookmarking method, which I abhor.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I stopped using mine when the old new style came out in 2010. The old menu is useful for very few things aside from legacy style extensions.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
On latest version of Firefox on Ubuntu 14.04. I too see like GTB posted. But it is ok with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTB

Tazmanian
It may not be specific to this forum. I see XenForo.com shows same when you get into 3 numbers displayed.

9.PNG

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Interesting note Alex. I am a bit torn myself between such front-end tools and back-end tools. It is a real hard call to make. On the one side, you definitely want to give quick and easily reached functions to your team (not available to the standard users), but on the other side, looking at it from an extensible system point of view, those functions go beyond the standard user functionality and thus, they are "packed" on top of a standard user view. This makes the general team functions a bit more complicated to extend, as it sets certain predefined UI boundaries, which you could leave quite a bit more open in a back-end environment.

Scott
Just seeing this.

It's not bad per-se, the problem is that there is no distinct role. I appreciate the efforts Kier and Mike have put in for delivering a quality product, but common sense would indicate that a developer has made the current UX difficult. As a moderator or admin, I shouldn't have to visit different modal boxes to get what I want. It needs to be unified in one box where I can adjust things quickly or send a spammer on their way. Essentially what they've done is simplify the click-to-click procedure for doing things. The lack of backend moderation control also makes the new process difficult. To view all names associated with an IP, I need to run the spam cleanup tool with a single option enabled. A large problem if you accidentally forgot to uncheck the other boxes and send a legitimate member on their way. Not to tarnish their effort or make this discussion a dig at XF as a software, but given this is a new implementation I expected less of a half-baked feature.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
That is the problem of having administrative functions on the front end. They have to be "packed on top" and possible too compact and thus, might cause users to feel the way you do. It is a tightrope act.

Scott

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Quite so, Scott. Generally I feel the system could be better designed. Though I have discovered, thanks to the videos, you can look up shared IPs through the user profile system. Just two clicks compared to the process we had with vBulletin. Though that's comparing five or six year old software to this.

Andrew B.

Fan
FWIW, your theme has made me like XF more. I now see what can be done with it.

Now, then there are all those little features that are a pain to add on, but I miss being able to add comments to Likes. Also, I liked it better when you had subforums displayed on the index page. Was there a compelling reason to drop this. You had it with XF at first.

One more thing. I very much like the "recent posts" feature. Very helpful when I've marked all posts as read, but then have to go back and find recent posts.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
Oooh. The notification updates in the browser tab are built in now. Nice!!!:)

Edit - Annndd...I see my "Go Private" idea is also added. Buaaahahaha!

I have another suggestion.:D Put an "@" to the left of each users name at the bottom of each post. Click it or the user's username, and it tags that user automatically in the reply box and scrolls you to the reply box.

upload_2014-6-13_19-46-0.png

Scott

Last edited:

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
FWIW, your theme has made me like XF more. I now see what can be done with it.

Now, then there are all those little features that are a pain to add on, but I miss being able to add comments to Likes. Also, I liked it better when you had subforums displayed on the index page. Was there a compelling reason to drop this. You had it with XF at first.

One more thing. I very much like the "recent posts" feature. Very helpful when I've marked all posts as read, but then have to go back and find recent posts.

Thanks for the kind words!

With vBulletin you could make comments when giving reputation but I've never seen it associated with likes on XenForo.

The subforum display was turned off to reduce clutter on the forumhome. If people miss it I can turn it back on. :)