Official Style Feedback Thread

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
You know what could be a cool feature? A simple button/ link "Go Private", which basically quotes the post you pressed the button on and turns it into a private conversation with the person who wrote the post.

Scott
You mean like this?:D

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 2.13.08 AM.png

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I always did like that feature on phpBB boards. I've seen it used on vBulletin a few times back in the day too.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Can we have bookmark feature ? In AdEx there not this much flood of posts, so easy to find them. I love many threads and would like to use it as a reference for a later date. Please consider.

Bitnull

Fan
Can we have bookmark feature ? In AdEx there not this much flood of posts, so easy to find them. I love many threads and would like to use it as a reference for a later date. Please consider.
That won't be returning (yet).

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Some of the stuff in my UCP is written in all white on white. I noticed the Mod Log link and would have missed it if I hadn't clicked and dragged across the screen by accident.

Russ

Administrator
Some of the stuff in my UCP is written in all white on white. I noticed the Mod Log link and would have missed it if I hadn't clicked and dragged across the screen by accident.
Can you link me or tell me how to get to where your seeing white/white

Greg

TAZ Rookie
On the main index, the subforums for the Manage an Online Community section don't line up with those for other forums on my view.

Russ

Administrator
On the main index, the subforums for the Manage an Online Community section don't line up with those for other forums on my view.
Mainly because it doesn't have a description, I applied a fix(just adds a little extra space) not sure if they want to add a description there which would knock it down.

Andrew B.

Fan
I like vertical postbits, but this one is overwhelming. My eye gets pulled there more than to the message. Maybe because the user name seems larger than the message text. And the avatar seems too big. I would also prefer not to see the user stat box. It forces too much empty space when there is a short message.

Russ

Administrator
If anyone wants a little more distinction between each post you can enable a custom user field to add a top bar:

View attachment 10370

Username
I like vertical postbits, but this one is overwhelming. My eye gets pulled there more than to the message. Maybe because the user name seems larger than the message text. And the avatar seems too big. I would also prefer not to see the user stat box. It forces too much empty space when there is a short message.
Avatar is the default XenForo size for messages and personally looks a little awkward if we go smaller. Removing the stats makes it feel really cramped in my opinion:

cramped.png

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Being one of those who raised the postbit distinction thing regarding the default XF style, what's been done in here alleviates the problem for me. The presence of the grey background between each posts adds sufficient distinction.

Sig dividers need to be a solid line all the way across the post though. Or perhaps a darker dashed line would do. Light grey dashed and dotted lines are just not distinct enough, I've run into such things on vB5 too.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I'm overriding a few of the XF style cues so it resembles the old skin more. I still can't get over the fact XF has no ModCP. I expected the ban controls to be in the "Warn" modal popup when I went to get rid of a spammer yesterday. I had to click around until I found that it was under the... actually I've managed to forget now. Not really a fan of how XF handles bans. The strikethrough breaks of thread continuity and makes things look garish.

Would love to see a Hellban mod for XenForo as I loved it on vB when I learned what it was, even did it to myself on a test account on a test-bed forum. Probably even have XF's version of Tachy available for moderator use when you want to slow down obvious post-padders but aren't quite sure if they're spammers or eager-beavers.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
vB5 doesn't really use the mod cp either. It's there, and most of it works, but not all, and it's no longer supported (defined as 'deprecated'). The reason given is that the tools are all now in the front end (which is true).

Seems to be the direction things are going....

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
That's quite saddening. I used our old one mainly to cross-check IP addresses and then lookup new registrations when I had an inkling a naughty member was attempting a comeback. We didn't use the mod tools in the vB version we had. Someone had found a flaw with it, mostly because of how we did things that it would cause issues. So it was all manual labor on our part. What I do like in XF is that I can auto-resolve IP addresses without hopping into the back-end, fetching the IP and then running it through MaxMind. I'm not sure how vB or IP.Board do it now, but this little bit of code is brilliant.

Barely a fan of the current moderation tools. The up and down platform that moves took a bit to understand until I came across a video by Kier explaining it all. Their online manual is useful too, but because of the difference in names, it takes a while to get around.

I saw a video by IPS doing something similar recently minus removal of back-end features. Just more commonly accessible tools on the front-end for administrators too.